Thread: LCM Troubles - PLZ HELP

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan

LCM Troubles - PLZ HELP

Hi all, hope you can help. I have a 2002 530i. Build date is 03/02. When I bought this car, none of the lights were working. The lot I bought it from got them working by swapping the LCM out from one of the other two e39 cars on the lot. One was an 2000 540i and the other (I believe) a 2000 M5. I've been trying to figure out coding the LCM with NCS Expert. I'm, however, getting an error when reading the data. It does still write a .TRC file, but I believe it's some generic useless file. In NCS-Dummy, none of the LCM versions will let me edit anything. I'm not sure if I have the wrong LCM version in the car, or what. I have tried updated the daten files, still the same issue. I AM able to read from DCS, but not LCM (I didn't try any other modules, just tried DSC to see if I could read ANYTHING). Below is the info on the current LCM, as well as the error I'm getting from NCS Expert when trying to read.

LCM in car now:
    BMW 8 386 208
    LEAR LCM III 0. LWR
    HW: 01 / SW: 4.1.1
    Yellow Sticker

Error from NCS:
    Der Codierindex folgender Steurergerate ist fur diesen Codierauftrag nicht zulassig: LCM 18

Translate to :
    The coding index of the following control units is not permitted for this coding order: LCM 18

NCS follows with:
    Error by Setting a ECU
    No CoAPI errortext available

"Coding is Faulty" shown in NCS screen after continuing out of errors

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    The LCM III (hardware) is fine.

It is an INPA / NCS software installation, configuration or coding problem. Which version of INPA or NCS are you running ? Is it correctly configured and can access ALL the modules in the car ? Check the coding forums for details.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Not sure if NCS gets around this, but you can't code a used LCM (At least when talking with autologic) with having FIRST changed the VIN to you cars vin. PA Soft can do with in no time flat.

After which, you can initiate proper VA/VO coding sessions. But also be sure to be using the proper coding algorithm.

NOTE: I'm an NCS noob. So i can be wrong.

I have some refference videos in my headlight build below:
    https://www.m5board.com/threads/oem-...ectors.608415/
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    The LCM III (hardware) is fine.

It is an INPA / NCS software installation, configuration or coding problem. Which version of INPA or NCS are you running ? Is it correctly configured and can access ALL the modules in the car ? Check the coding forums for details.
    I'd have to check, but it's the versions that come from BimmerGeeks Standard Tools. I can access all the modules in INPA, and was able to read the DSC in NCS, just not the LCM. I'll check the coding forums, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    Not sure if NCS gets around this, but you can't code a used LCM (At least when talking with autologic) with having FIRST changed the VIN to you cars vin. PA Soft can do with in no time flat.

After which, you can initiate proper VA/VO coding sessions. But also be sure to be using the proper coding algorithm.

NOTE: I'm an NCS noob. So i can be wrong.

I have some refference videos in my headlight build below:
    https://www.m5board.com/threads/oem-...ectors.608415/
    I know PA Soft can do this too, I just don't currently have that setup. I thought NCS could code VIN as well. Maybe I'm wrong?

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    Coding index refers to the subversion of the module's programming. You may be using an older version of NCS expert that doesn't recognize version 18. Either find a way to update your SP_Datens (plenty of how-to's online) or find another NCSExpert package to download that's set up for newer cars (shouldn't be hard as the E39 plat is so old now).

Failing that you can try switching the profile to "Factory Coding" and try overriding the existing coding, but doing that with too old an NCS version risks bricking the LCM.

After you get NCS working you'll need to write the VIN to the LCM. PA Soft is the best/fastest option for this but tool32 (usually included with an NCS install) will do that as well.

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by TiagE39 View Post
    Coding index refers to the subversion of the module's programming. You may be using an older version of NCS expert that doesn't recognize version 18. Either find a way to update your SP_Datens (plenty of how-to's online) or find another NCSExpert package to download that's set up for newer cars (shouldn't be hard as the E39 plat is so old now).

Failing that you can try switching the profile to "Factory Coding" and try overriding the existing coding, but doing that with too old an NCS version risks bricking the LCM.

After you get NCS working you'll need to write the VIN to the LCM. PA Soft is the best/fastest option for this but tool32 (usually included with an NCS install) will do that as well.
    Thanks for the info! I've downloaded the BimmerGeeks Standard Tools from their website, and I've updated the SP daten to 68.1. I may need to find another daten package and/or newer NCS package. I've got a PA Soft cable coming too.