My Cars
    2012 X5 5.0 Sport

Battery Discharge

I am getting a "increase battery discharge". SUV is starting like normal. Have put "trickle" charger on over night. Anyone have any information?
    I have a 2012 X5 5.0, new battery 2 years ago.
    Thanks,
    Ralph

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have same warning, but after driving 30 min to work my battery is resting at 12.2 v so might be a bad battery

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    The car monitors key off drain. I will get that error any time I leave my obd scanner plugged in.

A decent scanner will show you the lifetime histogram of the battery and it's the best way to start accessing the battery life.

Any BMW with IBS will typically only charge to 85% or so leaving headroom to absorb energy when coasting.

Root out the parasitic drain. Best to measure current with an ammeter to determine if it's going to sleep mode. The car will display that error if the sleep current drain is over about 60 mA.

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    The car monitors key off drain. I will get that error any time I leave my obd scanner plugged in.

A decent scanner will show you the lifetime histogram of the battery and it's the best way to start accessing the battery life.

Any BMW with IBS will typically only charge to 85% or so leaving headroom to absorb energy when coasting.

Root out the parasitic drain. Best to measure current with an ammeter to determine if it's going to sleep mode. The car will display that error if the sleep current drain is over about 60 mA.

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Same pain in the ass with my 2013 E70 35ix gas engine 3.0 LCI
    It comes and goes. My battery is weak which I purchased brand new almost exactly 3 years ago.
    I believe the culprit is a puddle light on the passenger side front door…
    Not sure if I’m going to disconnect just that one because of fear of what it might do to the rest of the gremlins and the inevitable, domino fact, or, replace it or see if I can remedy the situation. Research begins when time allows.
    Of all the BMWs, I am this one is by far the biggest pain in the ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by 300kplus View Post
    Same pain in the ass with my 2013 E70 35ix gas engine 3.0 LCI
    It comes and goes. My battery is weak which I purchased brand new almost exactly 3 years ago.
    I believe the culprit is a puddle light on the passenger side front door…
    Not sure if I’m going to disconnect just that one because of fear of what it might do to the rest of the gremlins and the inevitable, domino fact, or, replace it or see if I can remedy the situation. Research begins when time allows.
    Of all the BMWs, I *own, this one is by far the biggest pain in the ass!

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    Once sleeping no power should go to puddle light but remove the light to confirm if there's any power draw the car cares about.

If you have more than about 50/80mA draw with power off you should get an alert the next drive cycle about excess battery draw. If you aren't getting that error message then more than likely you just have an early demise battery.

Was the battery coded when replaced?

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    I'll be replacing this battery under warranty, it has one more month on the 36 month warranty with Interstate (its an MTX-49/H8). Somehow it tested bad, but anyway new battery and then can continue to chase battery drain warning if it keeps coming back. I'm not sure how well the drains can be chased as the car seems to "wake up" any time you're moving in and out of it like it is prepping the low pressure fuel pump or checking the throttle actuator, no idea what all it is doing when off but I hear a lot of small noises from it!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be replacing this battery under warranty, it has one more month on the 36 month warranty with Interstate (its an MTX-49/H8). Somehow it tested bad, but anyway new battery and then can continue to chase battery drain warning if it keeps coming back. I'm not sure how well the drains can be chased as the car seems to "wake up" any time you're moving in and out of it like it is prepping the low pressure fuel pump or checking the throttle actuator, no idea what all it is doing when off but I hear a lot of small noises from it!