Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Always torn...

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    On the camber issue, I'm just getting deeper into this and wondering if I should just leave it alone and call it a day. I spent some time cutting a piece of square tubing to fit on the rim of my wheels. Used a plumb bob to ensure the vertical was as exact as I could make it in order to zero a bubble-type camber gauge. The calibration "rig" was just putting the channel oriented vertically in my bench vise and hanging a weighted string next to it and easing it into a perfectly vertical position. So, I think it was fairly close to accurate.

The wheels don't look that splayed now, but the right side (weaker spring and 15mm of spring pad) measured -3 deg. and the other side, which is a visibly a little less splayed measured -2.5 deg. This is with 3/4 a tank of gas and no weight in the trunk or the passenger compartment. I'll get the ride height this week with proper weighting, as well as recheck the camber.

But all I can say is that it sure doesn't look like it has that much camber. I left my calculations out in the garage, but I recall that with -2 deg. camber, given the height of my wheel and tire, the contact patch should have been offset by 0.75" (or so) and as best as I could measure, that's about what it is as far as I can tell. Measurement is hard because the tire bulges at the bottom from the weight.
    Last edited by cyberman; 11-27-2022 at 09:49 PM.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    A poor man’s method of checking camber that is “close enough” is to cut a piece of 1” square (steel) tube the diameter of your rim. You hold this top-to-bottom across the faces of your rim, and place a magnetic 12” digital level on the piece of tubing. Read the result on the level.
    This is predicated on having a level surface that the car is parked on, and that your level at least reads in tenths of a degree. 90 degrees = 0 camber. I have an old Craftsman digital level, and a particularly level place in my carport.
    I have been able to dial in camber settings that I have verified accurate by a real alignment shop.
    Now front caster and rear toe are a bit more elusive with simple tools found around the garage. The rear toe changes with ride height.
    -Donny
    Last edited by KeysCoupe; 11-30-2022 at 12:27 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12