Thread: S54 MCoupe brake upgrade

My Cars
    1999 m coupe

S54 MCoupe brake upgrade

Just got an S54 MCoupe loving it coming from S52s. I searched the forum for brake upgrades, the posts are old. What is the best option for a brake upgrade? Aftermarket kit or finding brakes from another BMW and adapting them.

I have the stock Roadstars but looking at 18inch rims.

Thanks,

Larry

My Cars
    2002 M coupe & 2008 M3
    I think most will tell you that the stock brakes with upgraded pads & fluid are sufficient given the cars' size and weight. I don't disagree. That said, I run the Wilwood superlite kit from UUC Motorwerks on the front axle of my S54 coupe. Requires spacers on the stock roadstars...probably at least 5-7mm...I'm currently running 12mm front spacers with roadstars. No spacers necessary with my 18" BBS LM's.

It has served me well, have probably had the front kit for 10+ years and 35-40k miles. 4 piston calipers, reasonable price. Can't say that I've tracked it. The usual gripe/drawback is that there is indeed some unswept area resulting from the larger E46 M3 325mm rotors the kit uses.

There are various other kits...brembo, some adapt Porsche 996 calipers I believe, etc. CaliAgents ran a beautiful AP Racing kit on his coupe for a while (maybe still does?)
    2002 M coupe - Imola/Imola, 18" BBS LM, Wilwood BBK, TC Kline S/A coilovers, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, SS Section 1 race cats, SS Section 2 X-pipe, SS Race exhaust, 3.73 differential, Sport mode, Dinan ECU
    2008 M3 sedan - Melbourne/Black, 6MT, AA test pipes, Dinan exhaust, BPM Sport tune, Dinan intake, Swift springs

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    "Best brake upgrade" without a mention on budget, usage, or goals is very open ended

Easiest and document DIY "cheap" BBK
    The 996 brake upgrade is tried and true with rally road adapters and E46 M3 front rotors and E38 rears, or you can do E46 M3 rears with the parking brakes also.

OEM
    The 135/335 sport brakes I believe are a direct bolt up but unsure on rotors those use. Thepartymarty (IG handle, unsure of his BF.c handle or activity) has this setup.

Believe ECS (et all big name parts provider) has a few name brand options but prepare your wallet.

As stated above, a fresh set of rotors and high quality pads with fresh fluid would likely do wonders though.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I'm also wondering if there's a definitive kit that will work with roadstars and no spacers. Like a small 4-pot front and 2-pot rear with stockish rotors (and no extra labor on my end ).
    Last edited by JWin; 11-16-2022 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    The Essex/AP kit should fit behind the stock wheels without any issues:
    https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...t-cp8350-e36m3

The 325mm rotors might not sound like an upgrade, but they're 32mm thick, as opposed to the 28mm thick stock rotors. Big difference in heat capacity. They also run thicker pads (last longer) and are purpose made for performance, so they handle heat much better than the popular Porsche 996 setup, which isn't much different from the stock brakes other than fixed calipers.

My Cars
    1999 m coupe
    I like the Turner Motorsports kit that uses BMW calipers. I think for street driving should be adequate. Plus at 1700 not too expensive.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
    I like the Turner Motorsports kit that uses BMW calipers. I think for street driving should be adequate. Plus at 1700 not too expensive.
    Doesnt list applicable to the Ms

My Cars
    z3
    The best braking upgrade for any stock M is usually tires... the stock brakes are more than good enough for stock power levels, the brake systems were really developed to have enough stopping power for the Euro (321hp) engine, as the S52 and Euro models received the same brakes. If you just want bigger brakes for cosmetic reasons, then choose whichever kit you think looks nicest

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    This is a good watch re brakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyH5xOcsXxs
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
    Just got an S54 MCoupe loving it coming from S52s. I searched the forum for brake upgrades, the posts are old. What is the best option for a brake upgrade? Aftermarket kit or finding brakes from another BMW and adapting them.

I have the stock Roadstars but looking at 18inch rims.

Thanks,

Larry
    If you are wanting a cosmetic kick, buy what looks best to you. As for performance upgrade, you WILL NOT get any benefit on the street from a BBK. Pads and tires will improve things, but the rotors and calipers are plenty sufficient. On the track, pads tires and ducts. The ABS will keep things in check at threshold. FrankenCoupe has 450 RWH and TQ. I run Carbo Tech pads, Cryo rotors, (not floating) and good ductwork. The setup does just fine for the typical 20 minute Time Trial run. I have won many Regional titles and podiumed nationally. If I were to run run longer sessions or W2W then an upgrade would be in order. The point here is that a BBK is not required unless you are at a very high level of racing. You will NEVER get a street driven car's brake that hot if properly driven. The street tires will give up before you overheat a well set up stock system. There is argument you will actually reduce performance with a BBK. All the effort to reduce wheel weight and then load it back on with a fat rotor. Probably not a wise choice.
    Last edited by PbFut; 11-26-2022 at 10:28 AM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    The AP Racing kit listed above claims to reduce 16 pounds for what it's worth. That said, I would imagine most folks reading this thread could probably lose 16 pounds for free if properly motivated

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Not of unsprung weight, but otherwise, Yes.