Thread: E36 convertible hard top wiring?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i

E36 convertible hard top wiring?

Hello! I recently got my first BMW and I’m loving it so far. And the mpg compared to my ‘78 Chevy k10 👌🏼😅
    I have a ‘95 325i convertible That so far has been the best $200 I’ve ever paid for a car 😅 unfortunately, the softop, driver’s side door internals, and rear seats were completely ripped out by a previous owner. I did get the hardtop installed just before we got our first snow but the black plastic contact bushings were busted on the driver’s side latch. The wires are where I can get to them without taking the top off but I’m not sure which wires to splice together just so I have a rear defroster this winter until I can get a replacement installed. Can anybody on here maybe give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    welcome to Bimmerforums, I will move your thread to the E36 convertible subforum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1996 318i Cabrio

Quote Originally Posted by BKCaspy95 View Post
    That so far has been the best $200 IÂ’ve ever paid for a car 😅
    If you got the hardtop with the car, you got a double steal! Hardtops are worth as much as the entire car, especially if they're in good shape

Which contact bushing(s) are broken? The ones in the hardtop or the ones on the car? I just got a set of body bushings off eBay for $35 that were in really good shape and they're easy enough to install. I'd recommend replacing them if the bushings on the top are still intact.

The bushing on the RIGHT side of the car is positive(+) for the defroster and the rear dome lights. The bushing on the LEFT side of the car is ground and lockout/disable power top.

The functions on my hardtop are wired backwards at present (front dome light runs defroster and climate control unit runs rear dome lights), so I'll be hitting stuff with a multimeter tonight and mapping what's what.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Mine is in pretty good shape save for some of the plastic. The broken bushings are on the car but I just ordered replacements for $20 on eBay. My wires on the driver side aren’t connected at the moment but my courtesy lights did come on when I push the defrost.
    you wouldn’t happen to know which wires on the driver side is for ground and which is the rag top control?