Thread: Oil problem

My Cars
    Bmw e36

Oil problem

Hello guys,
    i have BMW E36 1.6 i from 1991 with M40B16 engine in it. Now i have some problem with oil (either preasure or pump dont know). Now what is happening is I start the car and oil light is turned on in neutral on low RPMs and it is not turning off if i put in some RPMs it turns off and engine is working just fine. Now the problem is I tested oil preassure and on low RPMs and it shows 0.3 and in high PRMs it is around 4. So my problem is I tried to put in additives for oil and those sort of stuff and it didnt help. Old oil was just fine but i putted new oil and filters in and it didnt help. Can someon help if he had same problem. (Sorry for bad english not my first language)
    Last edited by MateoCropyE36; 11-10-2022 at 06:02 AM.

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    you could try dropping the oil pan and checking the oil pump pick up tube and screen. look for a clogged screen and any cracks in the tube. if everything looks good, replace oil pump and any gaskets for oil pump pick up.

If problem persists, oil pressure problems are usually excessive clearance in the bearings, clogged oil passage(s) or cracks in the oil system passages. engine will need removal and rebuilding.

sometimes there is an oil pressure check valve somewhere that can be replaced or serviced without major work, but this is unlikely.