Thread: Oil coolant hose leak

My Cars
    535xi

Oil coolant hose leak N54 E61 2008 535xi

There is a pin hole leak in the hose. Any one ever see that before?! It was just a steady thin thread of oil spitting out. Lame, I just changed the oil filter gasket thinking that was the source.
    Last edited by BeamMeUpSeattle; 11-07-2022 at 02:00 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    It is common. Usually the U shaped hose on the drivers side and it’s usually not a pinhole leak but rather a failing crimp at one end. Replace it and the o-rings —can’t remember whether hose comes with them but think it does). The other hose should be fine. Beware the oil softens the drive belt and a failed drive by often sheds with pieces wrapping around the back of the crank pulley and often taking out the seal and going into the motor where it can cause much much bigger problems.

I would pull the fan, clean everything (fan, front of engine, alternator, etc) thoroughly, replace the drive belt, install a crank pulley guard, replace any pulleys that are noisy when you spin them. Consider removing and cleaning the vanos solenoids.

My Cars
    535xi
    Thank you, I’ll go back in there and do your recommendations. I did just change the two guide pulleys and the belt tensioner, and just replaced the belt while I was in there! I was thinking of just washing it with some mild soap? I know that sounds cheap, but it’s brand new. What would you say to that? I didn’t wait long enough when checking for leaks, I’m guessing if I had let the oil warm up the oil thermostat would have diverted across the HX and I would have found the pin hole leak before pulling out of the driveway. As it turned out I left a trail of rainbow blotches on the road and up my driveway also I would have left my old belt in there until 100% confident of no leaks.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If oil was not on it for long the belt should be fine.

My Cars
    535xi
    Cleaned vanos solenoids, installed cranks case seal guard and gave the belt a bath. Also replaced the oil cooler hose - lol. I’ve got a very slight oil Leak where the u shaped hose enters the oil filter / thermostat. I torqued it to 15nm and used new o-rings. Could anyone confirm torque? Should I give it a little more? I had a bunch of 1/2” extensions reaching up and torqued it from below the car - the play in the extensions should not impact the torque correct? Thanks!

crank seal guard:https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...MYsqbYDZtLkkoA

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I assume the old o-ring came out intact and is not still in there. And that you lubricated the new o-ring so it would not twist and tear. And that you got the hose fitting fully inserted. The torque I did by feel. Definitely awkward place to reach. I did it from above. Extensions do affect torque but you should have been able to feel tightness and I would not want to snap that bolt.

My Cars
    535xi
    Thank you for the help, Old O-ring did come out, I did lubricate…but the fully inserted part may be in question. When I switched position from above the car to below to perform the torque the hoses may have unseated a bit. I’ll try 1/4 turn and check then replace o-rings if needed.
    Here is a pic of the leak after a 10 mile drive, all surfaces were totally dry before the drive; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c26...-X-3-5z6UrqJ1i

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Does that amount reappear after cleaning or could it be residual from installing the hose into the housing and maybe some residue dripped? O-rings can swell a little and that could stop the drip. You would know within a few days of driving time. If there definitely is a tiny leak, I’d do what you plan. After that, I don’t know other than maybe a higher quality o-ring and/or hose if using an aftermarket hose instead of a factory one.