Thread: So... I'm doing a thing: 750iL -> 540iT mashup

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL

So... I'm doing a thing: 750iL -> 540iT mashup

Hello all... first post... figured I would share for posterity.
    I have visited these forums many many times seeking insight to these amazingly complex temperamental machines now they are getting on in their years.

Little backstory/history:

Grab a cup of coffee and be prepared to laugh...cry... and be amazed...

Bought my first 740i sporty shorty back in 2012 from a dealership north west of Chicago that had a Ferrari and a Bentley in the showroom floor. Satin black all around and kicked her rear out during the test drive. I was SOLD. See ya Cadillac.

Fast forward 4 years and while working in St Charles, one early winter morning warmup before the trek home, horrible noise, as if a diesel engine was screaming for help to be put out of its misery... I was stuck an hour away from home... it ran... I drove it home... forbidden glitter in the oil filter... timing guides decided they wanted to quit and the chain seen an ad for Stihl and went on a cosplay adventure... So I did what any normal person does with a garage set of tools... 2 years of research/parts/planning/prep...

I painstakingly rebuilt the engine and alive she awoke roaring for the road (new 4 letter words were spoken) ... but alas the haunting realization of living in the rust belt reared its ugly head and her body had been eaten alive from the insides out. No longer able to sustain herself under her own weight, panic set in... I just spent 2 years rebuilding her heart...

she needed to live... I needed a car.

On facebook, I found up in Wisconsin a 540iT. Now I have been looking for this elusive creature for about 2 years... plenty of 528s and 525s... and M5 distractions... but I wanted the grail 540iT!

January 2020
    Spoken to the wife Hey lets go on a road trip..
    Why she exclaims....
    You know that car I have been looking for forever?
    Yeah...
    I found one... lets go...
    Ugh.. ok

Made the calls...plotted the route
    So off we went... told the guy I'm not coming up there to kick the tires and haggle... I'm buying the car... 2700 later and a wintery nightmare drive home... oh nature and the semi drivers were testing our resolve that night... almost ran off the road 3 times, pure whiteout snow conditions (these xenon hid headlights are horrible in blizzard conditions)... 20mph... actually turned them off so I could see where I was going by using the light from the wifes car behind me... it worked...
    0 out of 10 wouldn't recommend... the things we do for temptation...

The 540 burned oil.. she burned a lot of oil... 3 quarts a week kind of oil
    With the experience learned from the 740, gasket and guides time. Thus removing the timing cover revealed a fractured plastic tube that lead to another tube up into the back of the intake... saturated with oil...

Great I thought... I have a new one of those... easy peezy... but the 540.. she did leak... I propped the engine up and off the mounts just enough to get the upper oil pan clear of the frame. I changed out the valve seals, replaced the lifters... you know... because I was in there... and while I was in there... I went ahead and replaced the rod bearings and bolts and the oil pump fiddly bits...

OH NO!!! TRAGEDY GLISTENED IN THE REFRACTION OF A FAINT FLASHLIGHT!
    With the outstretched fingers probing blindly past the crankshaft, bio-electrical signals relayed the confirmation of a sight not to beheld after such expense has been paid.... galling of sleeveless cylinder walls... 8 of them... all 8 of them... painfully evident scorch marks... missing metal... thy cylinders... SHES DEAD JIM....

defeated..
    more panic..
    What was one to do?
    Shes a $2700 toy car... a play thing.... spending ungodly amounts of $$ to refurbish the engine... not an option... processing... PROCESSING.... P R O C E S S I N G....
    WHOOPAH

A plan... two birds...1 stone... having the proverbial cake and eating it too.... I have a good engine/drivetrain in a bad body... I have a good body with a bad engine... (normally oh hey put that in that and done and done) PERFECT....
    but I still need to get to work.... and I still want 2 cars...

AHAH!
    JUST BUY ANOTHER 740!!!!!!!!!!

Later that year in November....
    facebook marketplace...
    2000 740i....
    To the wife..
    LETS GO.... WOOO
    adventure...
    not so far this time...
    BLAM DONE DEAL

One can say... and many can confirm... engine work is best when on a stand and not hunched over the fender or shoulder shuffling under 20 years of debris...

Pulled the 540 engine 'remains' from the wagon, slid off to the side under my cnc machine, pulled in the first 740 and proceeded to scavenge any and all "would be" future prospective parts for the newest addition to my madness...
    Hmm... blocks the same... fuel supply rail slightly different... harness-check.... engine mounts-hmm 2 holes... interesting.... (found later that the front holes are 740 and the back holes are 540...might have this backwards)... transmission- hmm also interesting-740: 1058 000021, 540: 1058 000022 (its been a while.. also might have these backwards)... lenght-check-holes-check-6 holed rubber flex thingy-check-shifter linkage-check-harness-check---- if it fits it ships.. FULL SEND... I had pulled the engine and trans as a single unit from the rotten 740 and did not want to fight trying to put them back together from the 540... so I pulled the engine and trans from the 540 as a single unit.

Now mind you, I had been driving the 540 for a bit to get a feel for her and the above happened because of the constant oil addition and a flicker of the dreaded oil message STOP ENGINE while taking a corner really fast... yup... woulda coulda shoulda...

Now fast forward (a few new four letter words later) and 1 painful call to the boneyard later (bubye satin 740) I am now in the possession of a fully functional 740i sporty shorty as a daily, and a rowdy 540iT with a transplanted 740i drivetrain... those of you in the know... the 00021 and 00022 transmissions... its true... the performance difference feeling is real.

Now... in the travels of all the research and learning and what ifs and could haves... I came across and was recommended to... LS swap the wagon... which was prior to the acquisition of the 2nd 740 plan. I was impressed with what I seen with an LS dropped into a grocery getting luxury wagon... BUT... this was and is beyond the level of friendship I want for my wagon. Also in this journey of research:

I found that the 540 engine bay is basically modeled after the 740 with minor adjustments for platform size. I also found that the 740 engine bay is identical to that of the 750 engine bay and the primary differences between the 740 and the 750 is the interior amenities and another 4 cylinders... @_@ (insert manly grunts here). MORE research into this beast of an engine divulged that BMW had basically taken two 2.5L i6s and locked them in a particle accelerator chamber until they became fused together at the crank.... Gears were turning and lightbulb filaments were bursting....

Madman logic:
    If the 5 series wagon can accommodate a 2.5L i6, and has an option for a 4.4L v8, and the 7 series has a 4.4L v8 and can accommodate a 5.0L v12... then by that logic and no fault of its own, a 5 series should fit a 5.0L v12...
    **insert donut media**
    MO POWA BABY

Just like back in the years gone past... when the first person slapped a Ford 9" rear into a Chevy... or a "Hemi" into anything else... modern LS swapping fits into that category... and so does cranking down a Jaguar supercharger onto an M60/M62 (future project) but for me... Keeping a bloodline pure and keeping the BMW namesake on this wagon was critical... I want a BMW v12 powered 5 series wagon...

THE GAME IS AFOOT!
    Months of searching.... following leads.... auction searches... IAAI favorites... aye she's an elusive mistress... this fabled v12... the one McLaren had its way with in a dark alley under the cover of night and brought forth in the F1 to snap the necks of walkers by when the exhaust went BRAAAP... for what... at what expense... the yield? A mere 50-60hp/ft lbs torque? A dream... an idea? Now the 03 and up 760 v12 had crossed my mind... that's a lot MO POWAH BABY compared to the e38 v12... but it is a different platform... different bells n whistles... different in too many ways... I don't want to reinvent the wheel... I just want THAT wheel on THIS car...

See... I may not be the most knowledgeable or skilled mechanics, I may not even be able to stand in the shadow of the most basic of technicians... and maths are hit or miss... but my imagination... what I lack in everything else I make up in imagination.... and heart.... I have the scars on my hands to prove it...

November 2022
    I have just acquired the donor 750iL. This is a difficult decision. This 750... winter packaged, front parking sensors, buttons... butt massaging anti-fatigue buttons... adjustable rear seat buttons... BUTTONS!!!! SO MANY BUTTONS!!!! A body of which I have not seen thus far in my travels in a vehicle from the upper Midwest... all I wanted was enough of the 750 to get the engine to run in a 5 series wagon. I am torn. These vehicles are escaping reality at the jaws of the crusher... they are dwindling in numbers... they are becoming a forgotten lore and only recognized amongst enthusiasts for what they truly are. Amazing.

The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Now as I write all of this... I have a new mission. I am going to swap this v12 into this wagon. I am not going to discard this piece of fine German automotive engineering. I am going to transplant the heart of my first BMW into this 750 and the project will live on. This 750 will continue to run.. albeit 4 cylinders less... but to the bystander... none the wiser.

In closing.... through the years.... statements like "Do you know how much money you've spent on cigarettes??? You could have bought a lambo with that kind of money" and my reply is "You don't smoke... Where's your lambo".... Well... I quit smoking... 10 years now... Still don't have a lambo... but I do have a bunch of 20+ year old BMWs I get to play with

***looks at bottom of coffee cup.... takes a last swig knowing the cup has been empty for a while now.... turns out the light***
    Last edited by MindDrive; 11-07-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: adding images

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL
    What does this mean?

Last edited by MindDrive; 11-07-2022 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    How to say you are into self flagellation, without saying you are into self flagellation. : ) wishing you the best wishes on your endeavors.

There was one done in europe a while back. there were pics. Not sure if they still exist.

A LSX Conversion would be easier, and more fun - likely cheaper too. But I understand the challenge.

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    That was a great read! I'll be eagerly following along. I feel like Sreten from M539 Restorations would get a kick out of this. You may want to check out his Project Dubai videos to get a sense of what you're getting into with that engine. Good luck!

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckesteeze View Post
    That was a great read! I'll be eagerly following along. I feel like Sreten from M539 Restorations would get a kick out of this. You may want to check out his Project Dubai videos to get a sense of what you're getting into with that engine. Good luck!
    I've followed his channel a while now... just got done watching his Nürburgring 750 Dubai drive.... I would love to drive that, but these iL... theyre big... maybe in a shorty... definitely in the wagon

Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    How to say you are into self flagellation, without saying you are into self flagellation. : ) wishing you the best wishes on your endeavors.

There was one done in europe a while back. there were pics. Not sure if they still exist.

A LSX Conversion would be easier, and more fun - likely cheaper too. But I understand the challenge.
    I have been known to delve into the bit o the ultra violence... Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Was just under the 750 today... @_@ now I feel even worse for what I am about to attempt.... no rust... I mean... oxidation sure... but "RUST"... NONE! and HOLY CATS BATMAN!!!! I knew the 750 used the aux battery for the electronics and pre-heating the cats... but I had no idea... it was like looking at a stack of 10 stainless Folgers cans welded together with Grand Central Station sized bathroom plumbing and BMW decided to call it an exhaust @_@

I'm going to definitely have to get the wagon and the 740 up in the air so I can roll between the three at the same time with a tape and my phone. I think I may have to do some custom exhaust welding on this.

First major possible challenge is going to be finding out what the ZF 5hp24 (1058000021/22) and 5hp30 (1055000040) differences are other than the 30 looks like a barge with different cooling lines, harness and shift linkage. Again with measuring between the motor mounts and the drive shaft flex disc (disk?) Seen a thread on here about someone mentioning the bell housing being removeable... will have to put eyes on it. Kind of doubt the M62 and 70 having interchangeable transmissions....would be nice though.
    Last edited by MindDrive; 11-07-2022 at 10:08 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Should be mostly plug and play by mixing and matching E38 and E39 parts. The engine bay is pretty much the same between E39 and E38 so fitment should be straightforward and starting with a V8 E39 will simplify the process. It's been done before, a few times that I know of

Ive personally always been underwhelmed by m73 swaps as it is a rather heavy and lazy engine paired with an even lazier automatic. Source a 6 speed manual (rare, and $$$, but available) and it'll be much better to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MindDrive View Post
    I was impressed with what I seen with an LS dropped into a grocery getting luxury wagon... BUT... this was and is beyond the level of friendship I want for my wagon.
    I can't tell if you are over estimating the difficulty of an LS swap or under estimating the difficult of the M73 swap... 🤔

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL
    Spose the truth is I'm just stubborn.... @BimmerBreaker, thanks for posting that pic! Now I can visualize what this is going to look like. I think its the sound... that initial whine before the first spark plug fires... the whirr burping the throttle... seeing that massive intake under the hood... I know this is going to take years off my life... I can feel it... I spose it helps that I have a plethora of parts to work with, not just an engine and a transmission/harnesses. I spend quite a bit of time at the boneyard picking various modules, parts, 'oooo what's this, mine doesn't have that...' and the remnants of a 740... I think people get PTSD when they see my garage... Worst case, I bust out the cutting tools and the welder and the tunnel/underbody gets cut from one and frankensteined into the the other.... best case... it slides in and I wind up punching holes for harness supports. Curious though how well the 73 will run without the 55 gallon drums worth of cats other than a CEL...

Plan as it is, after I inspect the hell out of this 750 before disassembly, is getting both engines/drivetrains/harnesses/brains side by side on the garage floor. I found adapter plates for the 73 for a different "gearbox" manual transmission.... not sure if I want to go the manual route or how to bypass the TCM (or whatever BMW calls the transmission brainbox). I have read over and over and over about the incompatibility with the hp24 and hp30... but just because someone says, personally, I need to see why... just how I am. Maybe I might find something someone overlooked... wooo optimism

If I can match up what is in the cab, with what is under the hood, then that's a huge first... even if I need to take the core of the dash harnesses. Objectively, the less 'custom' 'hack n slash' the better. Even if I wind up making a 750 in e39 clothing, it really helps that I have access to a metal fabrication shop/equipment if I have to get a little slashy... its the 0's and 1's in the wiring that is my biggest fear...

My Cars
    Alpina B10 4.6 Touring
    Have a google of 'BMW E39 V12 MVR' - Martin Veyhle Racing and have a read of t his thread...

https://www.m5board.com/threads/e39-...mvr-6-1.88099/

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL
    Stroked to 6.1 oofta that's.... *words omitted for rating purposes*

Good to know I'm not the only insane one... but I doubt I have anywhere near that kind of budget.... lot of naysayers it seems on this topic... eh...

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL
    Sorry havnt posted in quite some time... what 6 months ish... still have the iT as my daily and the 01 750 waiting... but... ive shrek'd my garage for too long... too many projects stacked on top of projects stacked on whats left of the other projects that need to be finished before honestly taking this on. Ive been working on getting my 69 Deville up n running... Shes been sitting for 13 years because of priorities of family and the attention span that can only be measured in nanoseconds...

I started putting some work up on my youtube channel of the work im doing on the caddy (where I will be documenting the 750->540 swap). I know this is a BMW forum, but gearhead work is gearhead work IMO... doesnt matter what make/model youre working on, the blood still comes out the same when the wrench slips.... ^_^

sub/dont sub... not a popularity contest imo...

https://www.youtube.com/@minddrive2012/videos
    Last edited by MindDrive; 06-09-2023 at 07:41 PM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I would have to guess that there are some of us here that don’t mind looking at something different.
    I didn’t get any flack when I posted info and pics when I built my 33 hotrod.

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL
    69_caddy.jpg2011-05-21_11-27-17_104.jpgIMG00368-20101116-1213.jpgIMG_20230604_175222579.jpg
    Heres a teaser and what is DEMANDING that I pay attention to her...
    WORK DONE THUS FAR:
    frame off... powder coated
    underbody coated
    all bushings/steering/body mounts/springs etc replaced
    engine decked, bored 30 over, honed, blueprinted
    oversized pistons/rings
    crank micro polished/balanced (already was balanced but now balanced 'more better')
    performer series intake and carb (800cfm)
    rebuilt/shift kit th400
    rebuilt 2.93:1 rear (bearings/seals)
    new lines: fuel/brakes

NEEDED TO DO:
    pipe fuel
    rebuild/paint/mount drive shaft (its a freeking monster--- 16 bearing caps)
    have ac fabricated (new hoses for sanden ac compressor, replace old expansion valve, condenser etc)
    power steering lines/cooler
    trans cooler n lines
    radiator
    electrical cooling fan conversion
    fabricate stainless old fashioned dual exhaust (not the H or X pipe variety... bank 1 and bank 2 straight back... that blub blub blub blub idle sound <3 )
    rebuild fender skirts behind steering wheels
    ALIGN THE 90 MILLION BOLTS N BRACKETS holding the front end together (modern cars have it easy... this things got more adjustments than a spine)
    reupholster the seats-- the foam--it is... crunchy

past few weeks I did a custom serpentine conversion that wasnt just an accessory plate like some of the hotrodders do

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by MindDrive View Post
    69_caddy.jpg2011-05-21_11-27-17_104.jpgIMG00368-20101116-1213.jpgIMG_20230604_175222579.jpg
    Heres a teaser and what is DEMANDING that I pay attention to her...
    WORK DONE THUS FAR:
    frame off... powder coated
    underbody coated
    all bushings/steering/body mounts/springs etc replaced
    engine decked, bored 30 over, honed, blueprinted
    oversized pistons/rings
    crank micro polished/balanced (already was balanced but now balanced 'more better')
    performer series intake and carb (800cfm)
    rebuilt/shift kit th400
    rebuilt 2.93:1 rear (bearings/seals)
    new lines: fuel/brakes

NEEDED TO DO:
    pipe fuel
    rebuild/paint/mount drive shaft (its a freeking monster--- 16 bearing caps)
    have ac fabricated (new hoses for sanden ac compressor, replace old expansion valve, condenser etc)
    power steering lines/cooler
    trans cooler n lines
    radiator
    electrical cooling fan conversion
    fabricate stainless old fashioned dual exhaust (not the H or X pipe variety... bank 1 and bank 2 straight back... that blub blub blub blub idle sound <3 )
    rebuild fender skirts behind steering wheels
    ALIGN THE 90 MILLION BOLTS N BRACKETS holding the front end together (modern cars have it easy... this things got more adjustments than a spine)
    reupholster the seats-- the foam--it is... crunchy

past few weeks I did a custom serpentine conversion that wasnt just an accessory plate like some of the hotrodders do
    Love it!
    Do you have prior experience with this yacht? If not you're gonna love it too.
    Nothing like sitting on your couch and rolling on a little throttle to pass by those pesky little foreign cars.
    Please keep us posted.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    540iT 740i 750iL
    IMG00103-20100425-1741.jpgThis would be my 2nd 69 Deville, first one I bought for 800 bucks out of some guys yard that sat there so long it had sank to the rims in the grass (radial front tires and bias ply winter tires in the rear). This was back in 2000/2001... had the old skool points distributor which I set using a matchbook (later took it to an ole timer that had a dwell meter... said I was half a degree off and to not touch it) I got that car running mechanically sweet... would dig holes in the asphalt at 1200rpm (the guy I bought it off, I think his kid changed the rear gear ratio and welded the diff or it was locked up... completely different beast than this one I'm working on now) Changed a LOT of mechanicals on it and oooo she purred and then would buck up and roar at WOT... oh man would she throw you back into the 35' deep seats at a savory 7mpg. I started to do some body work on it with a friend of mine and.... swish cheese is more solid than the body I was trying to restore... way above my skill set/time/money and it sat for about a year or so after I realized it wasn't going to happen. Sold it to a kid and his father for 400 bucks that was restoring a 71 or maybe a 72... lot of identical parts...

The one I have now I found at a cemetery in St Louis in their tractor barn... drove it home... did the math on the fuel and damned if I didnt have to do it a few times but as found got 17.5mpg... can only think it was because of the 2.93:1 rear... such a highway gear it wouldnt even do a one wheel peel... just roared, lifted the nose a little and broke one of the motor mounts BAMIMG00141-20100607-1658.jpgIMG00308-20100825-2232.jpg
    Last edited by MindDrive; 06-14-2023 at 04:58 PM.

My Cars
    97 528i
    this is cool... will defo continue to check in....