Thread: Steering seems a little tight, or hard to steer

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit

Steering seems a little tight, or hard to steer

First off, this problem is on my wife's car. It is a 328IC (E93) 2008 model. We took European Delivery 6/23/2008. The car has not given us any problem since purchase, and delivery. So, any guidance on this problem would be a help. Until just recently I didn't drive the car often enough to experience the hard steering. My wife suffered a stroke last April, and could no longer drive, until fully recovered. I've been driving the car almost daily to run errands, and Dr. appointments. I've noticed the hard steering, at first I thought it was me, since my car is a 2009 Z4, and a dream to drive. Of course my Z is lighter weight, and shorter wheel base. Today, I drove the car into town, and the steering seemed to be a little lighter. I'm thinking of changing the power steering fluid. I've noticed people having problems with the pump. The fluid shows full when hot. We have 66K mile on the car so far. I see no leaks on the garage floor under its parking spot. I have a full Bentley Manual for this car. I keep up with all the convertible top lubes and salmon relays. Both the 328IC, and Z4 are garaged when not in use.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Would be worthwhile to just raise the front end and go lock to lock to see if it's a mechanic issue vers a pump issue. I would do it with the motor off first, then engine on.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    After checking steering components, check the flex joint in the steering shaft, as they sometimes get stiff. If you raise the front end and the steering is still stiff, it may very well be the joint.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
    After checking steering components, check the flex joint in the steering shaft, as they sometimes get stiff. If you raise the front end and the steering is still stiff, it may very well be the joint.
    I have the same issue with my steering. I have to give it a little muscle to turns the steering. When I turn the steerign on my Ford Escape, I can use my finger, but with my E90, I have to use both hands. What is the solution if it's the joint? Replace? Grease?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Replacing the flex joint is the solution if it's stiff in the air, it's a non-serviceable part that I know of.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Replacing the flex joint is the solution if it's stiff in the air, it's a non-serviceable part that I know of.
    I will jack the car up and test, but if that's not the issue, does that mean it's time for a power steering flush? I noticed when I bought the car, there was a lot of caked up grime on the outside of the reservoir, but the lines and everything around the vicinity is clean.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Flush or have the pump tested/replaced with a rebuilt. Take a look at the fluid, if it looks a bit dark, then it's time for replacement. IIRC CHF-11 is what your car should take and be sure to do the reservoir as that's where the filter is.

Best to have somebody in the car turning the wheel so you can see how smooth the rack is as it goes thru it's motion.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    My car is the same age, and similar miles. I have a pretty aggressive tire -- 245/35x19 -- and I would suggest you paid extra to have steering that is nothing like what they put on a Ford. I have nothing that would indicate that my steering needs attention. Indeed, if anything, the heavy steering in the parking lot is too light on the highway. The question is, if the steering is different now, or if it is only different than your Z4. You report that you did not drive the car before your wife became ill, so you don't really know if it has changed, or it is only different. You can't, and shouldn't even try, to fix "different," and you have no basis to judge "changed."

My point is, before you refinance your house to fix this, you should drag anchor for a while and see if it's just you.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Drew and Sub, if you can get to the joint with a heat gun, you might be able to loosen the joint for a while. If the steering loosens, you'll know what the problem is.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Drew and Sub, if you can get to the joint with a heat gun, you might be able to loosen the joint for a while. If the steering loosens, you'll know what the problem is.
    Heat gun? I just bought a heat gun to perform some PDR, but what does the heat do to the joint? I'm off Friday. I'll jack the car in the air on Friday and turn the wheels. If it turns smoothly, that rules out the joint and the reservoir is next on the list.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    The heat will loosen the grease in the joint resulting a looser joint, or not. Note, the joint may stiffen back up as the grease cools, but at least you'll know the source of your problem.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    The heat will loosen the grease in the joint resulting a looser joint, or not. Note, the joint may stiffen back up as the grease cools, but at least you'll know the source of your problem.
    Makes sense. thanks Marvin.