Thread: Hood/windshield cowl installed - not flush

My Cars
    E36 M3

Hood/windshield cowl installed - not flush

Installed a new windshield cowl a couple of weeks ago but it isn’t flush at the passenger side (lower windshield).

I read a couple of posts that mentioned that it would settle and become flush but hasnt happened yet.

Any tips to fix the issue?

Here’s the part number I’m discussing :
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-51711977677kt

Thanks

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    I have the same issue on mine near the bottom. It turns out my glass is not installed correctly, it sits lower than it should which results in the fitment issue. I am planning to replace the glass (it is cracked anyway) and resolve it then.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysonx View Post
    I have the same issue on mine near the bottom. It turns out my glass is not installed correctly, it sits lower than it should which results in the fitment issue. I am planning to replace the glass (it is cracked anyway) and resolve it then.
    On a Coupé - Another tell-tale sign the glass is low is the fitment of the upper seal/trim at the upper corners. A low glass will display a gap and/or non contact of the seal as it rounds the upper corners

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I wonder if you guys are installing them correctly. The hood has to be placed into windshield service mode by removing the torx screw at both hinges. Service mode allows you to correctly slot corners under the glass. There are also rubber caps at the corners that go over the new piece. These must be removed with any perished bits also extracted.

That said, the rubberized edge takes time in the sun to relax flat. If you are sure you have the corners installed correctly, then wait a little longer.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 11-03-2022 at 01:18 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    On a Coupé - Another tell-tale sign the glass is low is the fitment of the upper seal/trim at the upper corners. A low glass will display a gap and/or non contact of the seal as it rounds the upper corners
    Or the fact that the window for the VIN is considerably lower than it should be.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    windscreen appears to be installed correctly, looks original.

I did place the hood in service mode to get the cowl corners to properly fit around the hood hinges.

The area that’s not flush is about an inch in length on the passenger side, with either side of the cowl that flanks the non flush section fully flush w/ the windscreen. The cowl area behind either hinge is also fully flush.

I’ll leave it in the sun as suggested. It’s been about one week since it was installed but the car was in the garage during this time.

Any merit in using butyl tape to prevent water entry into the area under the cowl? I saw another forum member used it when their cowl bubbled up.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

My Cars
    '95 M3
    This may be a dumb question - but is it possible one of the retaining clips didn't seat and is holding that section of the cowl out of place?
    "And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
    rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mck325is View Post
    This may be a dumb question - but is it possible one of the retaining clips didn't seat and is holding that section of the cowl out of place?
    Checked the clips, everything seems good.

It seems to be slowly settling but I did use some butyl tape to get it to sit flush bc I didn’t want excess water gaining entry to DME.

I’ll keep an eye on it and report back.

Thanks for the help guys