Thread: Rear door card removal!

My Cars
    1989 e32 750il,1995 525i

Rear door card removal!

What the fuck!!! I removed the passenger rear door card to lube up the window mech bc it gets stuck and wont go up and down until door is slammed then it decides to work for awhile and then quits again. It’s nearly impossible to get the door panel back on without breaking something. The hardest part is getting the metal trim piece at the top to stay on panel while sliding on. Im so frustrated and pissed i had to walk away for awhile. It’s next to impossible!

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    You're doing something incorrectly. It's just place clips that hold it on. Lookup on youtube and it should give a good visual walkthrough to help

My Cars
    1989 e32 750il,1995 525i
    It’s getting everything lined up without the metal trim piece on top popping off the panel. PITA!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    BMW E34 5-Series Rear Door Card Removal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsfMhz8075w
    front http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...oorRemoval.htm
    quote: Here are the instructions off TIS that I modified a little to make more sense. The originals had pictures, but I can't post those. These are for a car with crank windows, but they should work for most E34s.
    1. Pull off outside mirror adjusting knob, remove switch with special tool 61 1 300, and disconnect the plug. I have no idea what this special tool looks like, and I searched for it without any results. A lot of times, there is a way around the special tools though.
    2. Remove screw inside hole where mirror switch was.
    3. Remove screw cover inside door handle and unscrew screw. Pull "door opener recess plate" out. I think they mean the door handle assembly. You'll probably need to pull it out a little bit, but it will still be attached by a cable which you can remove once the panel is off. That's how it is on most door panels, at least.
    4. Unscrew door lock mechanism. BMW calls it a "catch button"
    5. Lift screw cover out of window crank, unscrew screw, and pull off crank.
    6. Begin unclipping door panel from bottom. Use something flat and plastic, a screwdriver will damage your door and panel. They actually make door panel removal tools, but that isn't really necessary. I use this plastic tool that looks like a letter opener. It works like a charm.
    7. Lift panel away from door and disconnect door handle cable. Also disconnect any electrical connectors that might still be attached.
    The instructions also say you need to remove the mirror, but I'm not going to type up those instructions unless you REALLY need them. unquote
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    There is a clip that remains on the door in the center. You need to remove it by firmly squeezing the bracket and re-install it onto the door panel.
    When removing the panel lifts off of this, when installing the clip snaps onto the bracket.
    I suspect this may be your issue as I've seen many of these either missing or damaged from attempts to install incorrectly.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 540ia
    Patience and double checking for what is hanging up door card is key. Look at RealOEM for attachment point hardware to see where all the hidden screws are located.

Should pick up a pack of clips as this is main hardware holding the door card in place and they tend to break when removing.

My rear windows stick sometimes, but a good tap on the side gets them working again. If they finally give out I will look to replace with new ones. 🤣