Thread: Advice for Newbie BMW owner

My Cars
    '16 M2 & '17 Lotus Evora

Advice for Newbie BMW owner

Hello All,

I am looking for advice on the first steps to take when getting my 2016 M2 on track.

I am moving on from a 2017 Lotus Evora 400. I do 4-5 track days per year, usually SCCA TT and PDX days. I a mid-field guy, just like to have fun with me car and compete with my prior times.

My reflex when getting a new car is to start upgrades in this order:
    1) Tires +/- Wheels
    2) Brakes
    3) Harness
    4) Suspension
    5) Tune, Exhaust

Please let me know your thoughts on this philosophy and if you have any specific advice on any specifics, like what tires do you run, what size can you run, any advice on type of brake pads or the like.

Thanks all,
    John

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Not much help at all on the m2 specific items but curious on your thoughts versus the Evora. Lust over an Evora 400 for track days so want to know the scoop and driving impressions versus the M2.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The order of the first 3 create a healthy debate.

My Cars
    '16 M2 & '17 Lotus Evora
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Not much help at all on the m2 specific items but curious on your thoughts versus the Evora. Lust over an Evora 400 for track days so want to know the scoop and driving impressions versus the M2.
    I love the Evora. I've been a Lotus fan for years. Been to Hethel and done the driving school and tour. Love all them.

Compared to the M2? They are both really efficient track machines and you can't go wrong with either, but they have really different characters. The M2 seems really "easy" to drive fast. It doesn't care as much what gear you're in and it's easy the get it in any gear without effort. It seems like you can chuck it in a corner all wrong, and you can track out just fine. The stock seat is comfortable and after adjustments, I don't feel I will want to replace it.

The Evora? It will slide predictably and catching a slide is really smooth. Power is nice and linear. However, it is more challenging at the limit, feels on edge at times, like it wants to spin, but doesn't. Gear box it OK, but not nearly as smooth as the M2 and blipping is difficult for me. Pedal position is deep for the clutch and hard to reach for me (I'm 5'5"). Same for the seats. Nice Sparco seats, but they are definitely built for a bigger person. I slide around a lot on track with my butt hitting the parking brake with hard left turns. I was deciding between new seats and a harness, but I decided on keeping in more stock for resale and got a great deal on the M2.

This all said, there is nothing like a Lotus. Every drive is "outing" and feels special. The look and feel is so unique and each one feels different, like you are driving a one of a kind car. I am going to miss it. Just going to the grocery made me smile every time.

Anyway, I hope that ramble made some sense.

PS: Not sure if this is allowed, so please tell me if not. I'm new to this forum. My 400 is for sale. If you want to talk about it, I can give you all the details. I'm happy to share the posting and/or talk. I don't think I can send or receive DM's yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree!

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I don't think there is a moderator alive on this forum any more:-) so post up a link I want to see that machine!

My Cars
    '16 M2 & '17 Lotus Evora
    I will not post the advertisement, buuut how about some pics?

Mr. Moderator, please don't kick me off. If this is not cool, let me know and I'll remove the posts. I like it here!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    But surely the Evora is a good bit quicker around the track given its extreme hp/wt advantage right? No big reliability issues? Can you feel the lightness of the Evora in comparison?
    Last edited by olemiss540; 11-04-2022 at 03:37 PM.

My Cars
    '16 M2 & '17 Lotus Evora
    The feel is definitely different. The Evora feels much more nimble in the front end, likely as you said due to the overall weight and the lack of weight in the front. The Evora feels easier to rotate, and maybe spin (Haha). The BMW feels more planted, more subdued, but still fun. Could just be me or the set up. Reliability issues with Lotus are classic. Are in in the market? We should talk.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Too poor to be in the market sadly, atleast until the used car market comes back to my budget eventually. But the Evora 400 felt like the poor man's gt4 from a spec standpoint with more exotic looks and less refinement so I lust after one to track 4 or 5 weekends a year.

I couldn't imagine trading one for an m2 for a track machine (no offense of course) which is why the curiosity. Your 400 is a beaut. No doubt it will sell ASAP, but worth holding onto in case the first few event in the M2 leave you reconsidering.

I went down the supercharged elise rabbit hole hoping to buy a salvaged one and fix it up but the evora seems like a sweet setup. Mid engined, supercharged, 3200 lbs, 2+2, etc. And they are stunners. Am certain I will own some sort of Lotus one day.
    Last edited by olemiss540; 11-06-2022 at 02:01 PM.

My Cars
    '16 M2 & '17 Lotus Evora
    I wish you the best of luck with your search. There is one out there for you. If I come across one I think could work for you, I'll let you know.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpcrumley View Post

PS: Not sure if this is allowed, so please tell me if not. I'm new to this forum. My 400 is for sale. If you want to talk about it, I can give you all the details. I'm happy to share the posting and/or talk. I don't think I can send or receive DM's yet.
    We don't have a For Sale area for non-BMW cars, but you might want to edit your signature with a 'mini ad'. Space is limited... see my signature area below.

Click on SETTINGS at the top of the page, then EDIT SIGNATURE.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Was looking at evoras for s&g this morning and thought of this thread. Any update on the m2/evora evolution OP?