Thread: 30K Mile 1987 M6

My Cars
    1987 BMW M6

30K Mile 1987 M6

I found this car over the summer, it was part of an estate. She has sat since at least 2008. I'm a newbie at these cars, I found it by accident and never read one article about them so forgive my ignorance. I have had a 2001 Z3 coupe and 2012 Sport Wagon.

My Mercedes mechanic found her and has performed a lot of work to the fuel system and removed the Crutchfield alarm. I also put new TRX tires on the car, they are kind of lame, I assume they are ok for cruising but down the road I may swap them for the much better alternatives, I've been reading about. This thing is a time capsule, the concentrated washer fluid is for sure original.

After 100 miles or so of driving around town and up to Ft. Collins CO.

Any comments on the below list is welcomed, I want to do right by this car and get it up to snuff. I plan to attend Redwood, BMW events, and long trips68747101201__2127C732-473C-4DFE-B93A-0D35D137651A.jpg68004770044__EBBF9378-654E-4BE3-9130-A7EFDAABB4E0.jpg.

Front brakes vibrate under certain conditions
    Front end vibration and Is felt through steering wheel

Brake light on constant
    Master cylinder wet and brake pedal feel changes hard to very hard, panic stop at low speed pedal is firm to the point of nearly not working.
    Rear suspension seems to move up and down more than it should at highway speeds (however this has lessened)
    Hydraulic tank in rear is at the low level, should I fill to full line, certain sequence to this? My British/French car mechanic has the green hydraulic fluid required forget the brand.

Left rear suspension groan has developed
    Radio non op/code, the code worked once but won't again for me, certain sequence?
    Passenger head rest non op (mechanic fixed driver side he needs to revisit the passenger side)
    Positive cable needs repaired/flipped over for better fit
    Gas tank weeping perhaps tighten fittings at vent (has a new BMW tank)
    Clean and Grease window tracks
    Heater blows very hot on defrost only, not the other two modes
    Washer hose lines are brittle

Find missing 12X13mm ring spanner and first aid kit

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Nice looking car! Thanks for posting it here...those facelift models are quite rare, and well worth restoring. You might cringe a little along the way, but we're here to help!

Here's my guesses and suggestions:
    Front brakes vibrate under certain conditions (warped rotors? A cheaper drop-in replacement is the E34 540i & 740i rotors)
    Front end vibration and Is felt through steering wheel (likely the thrust bearings, common problem with the big BMWs)

Brake light on constant (I'd guess a cracked wire or flooded sensor float in the master cylinder)
    Master cylinder wet and brake pedal feel changes hard to very hard, panic stop at low speed pedal is firm to the point of nearly not working. (Don't drive the car, the brake accumulator or booster are not holding pressure)
    Rear suspension seems to move up and down more than it should at highway speeds (however this has lessened)
    Hydraulic tank in rear is at the low level, should I fill to full line, certain sequence to this? My British/French car mechanic has the green hydraulic fluid required forget the brand. (Likely Pentosin, that SRS system has problems with the hydraulic seals insode the shocks. Most people will swap conventional shocks and plug the lines)

Left rear suspension groan has developed (See above, ditto)
    Radio non op/code, the code worked once but won't again for me, certain sequence? (Some of them have an odd sequence, like pressing the first button four times to represent '4', etc.)
    Passenger head rest non op (mechanic fixed driver side he needs to revisit the passenger side) (Stretched cable in the motor, just needs the sheath shortened up a bit)
    Positive cable needs repaired/flipped over for better fit (I'd buy a complete cable eventually, the BMW crimps are quite nice)
    Gas tank weeping perhaps tighten fittings at vent (has a new BMW tank) (Check evap system for leaks, also check the lift pump lines aren't reversed.)
    Clean and Grease window tracks (I'd avoid any grease IMHO, check window alignment. Maybe a light spray of a quality silicone lube)
    Heater blows very hot on defrost only, not the other two modes (center vents don't blow conditioned air, only outside air. Silly BMW fun)
    Washer hose lines are brittle

Find missing 12X13mm ring spanner and first aid kit (Those are incredibly rare! Ask around, there's a few listed on here. Bert maybe?)
    Save the manuals!
    '08 128i 6MT, '86 635CSi 5MT (B32, Motronic 1.3, WBO2, G265, 18# FW, 3.46 torsen)
    Past projects:
    '96 318iS, sold 4/23 '90 535iM, RIP 1/23 '90 535iA RIP 6/22 '91 318i, sold 7/19 '97 M3 sedan, sold 11/18 '85 735i, RIP 2/18 '92 325iC, sold 7/16 '91 318iS, sold 6/16 '84 745i, sold 10/14 '82 633CSi, traded 9/12 '90 325i, RIP '87 325 sold '89 525i, traded '87 325iS, RIP

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    Nice score! I have an 87. Lots of great info from Dave. Go through each system one at a time. Read lots. Brakes need complete overhaul from sitting. New flex lines, blow out lines, etc. May even need calipers rebuilt. None of it is hard just takes time. Tons of information in the forums. Lots of rubber stuff will need to be replaced.

Sounds like a great project to bring back to life over the winter.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635
    Hi Dave,
    Just read this fellows post and your sound advice to his questions.
    I have a question for you regarding the head rests. My passenger side has stopped moving up or down. I repaired the drivers side likely 20 years ago using a link from the Big Coupe Group (cant find it now) and dont remember the the sheath solution. Ive seen fixes using a piece of coat hanger but there is a better way.

Thanks, Iain

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dave,
    Just read this fellows post and your sound advice to his questions.
    I have a question for you regarding the head rests. My passenger side has stopped moving up or down. I repaired the drivers side likely 20 years ago using a link from the Big Coupe Group (cant find it now) and dont remember the the sheath solution. Ive seen fixes using a piece of coat hanger but there is a better way.

Thanks, Iain

1985 635 CSi
    Original Owner
    Hartge conversion
    https://www.amazon.ca/photos/share/I...5tKaaMrbsDRAk6

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I decided to use the coat hanger fix vs cutting the sheath. Works perfect, simple fix, hope it lasts.
    Now if I can just get rid of my brake light coming on with light pressure. Goes off with additional pressure and they work fine. New front hub assemblies, rotors, pads and rebuilt calipers. Also both pressure switches replaced, no leaks anywhwere.
    Any thoughts?

1985 635 CSi
    Original Owner
    Hartge conversion
    https://www.amazon.ca/photos/share/I...5tKaaMrbsDRAk6

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanford View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I decided to use the coat hanger fix vs cutting the sheath. Works perfect, simple fix, hope it lasts.
    Now if I can just get rid of my brake light coming on with light pressure. Goes off with additional pressure and they work fine. New front hub assemblies, rotors, pads and rebuilt calipers. Also both pressure switches replaced, no leaks anywhwere.
    Any thoughts?
    I would try bleeding them again. Especially if you didnt have the issue before replacing all those components.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Can we return to helping the OP that started this thread!
    Last edited by RSheiman; 03-14-2023 at 04:05 PM.
    Rob E3