Thread: 1986 325e Valley Pan Gasket

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e

1986 325e Valley Pan Gasket

I am new to the site and this is my first post. I did look over the site and search it fairly well for what I am looking for with no luck. I can't find any information on a valley pan for a 1986 325e (e30). The only reason I am thinking it is a valley pan is because of the location of the leak which was on the passengers side near the back of the engine. The interior is dry which leads me to think it is not the heater core. Any insight to this issue for this car? Video's? Tutorials? Any info/knowledge would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by 86E30Matt; 10-24-2022 at 08:07 PM.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 86E30Matt View Post
    I am new to the site and this is my first post. I did look over the site and search it fairly well for what I am looking for with no luck. I can't find any information on a valley pan for a 1986 325e (e30). The only reason I am thinking it is a valley pan is because of the location of the leak which was on the passengers side near the back of the engine. The interior is dry which leads me to think it is not the heater core. Any insight to this issue for this car? Video's? Tutorials? Any info/knowledge would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    you mean a head gasket ? there is no valley on an m20 to put a gasket on.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e
    I wanted to ask in the original post if my car might not even have it but I thought it would be a dumb question! Everything I read pointed to a valley pan but for other BMW models. Thanks for the quick reply and good information. I appreciate it.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by 86E30Matt View Post
    "location of the leak which was on the passengers side near the back of the engine"
    "The interior is dry which leads me to think it is not the heater core."
    Matt
    From your description, it looks like you are describing a coolant leak. On the back of the head is a coolant hose that, as I recall, goes to the heater core. It can be difficult to see but check that hose. Maybe you'll get lucky and the clamp is accessible and only loose.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstin View Post
    From your description, it looks like you are describing a coolant leak. On the back of the head is a coolant hose that, as I recall, goes to the heater core. It can be difficult to see but check that hose. Maybe you'll get lucky and the clamp is accessible and only loose.
    I'll give that a look. That sounds a little quicker fix than ripping off the head. Thanks!

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstin View Post
    Yes, definitely a coolant leak. This seems much more of a simple first step than taking the time to replace the head gasket especially since I don't recall any water in the oil at all. I hope this is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.