Thread: Grinding noise in tonneau cover motor assy.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Convertible

Question Grinding noise in tonneau cover motor assy.

This is a 1998 M3 E36 convertible. Anytime I put the top down I have reach back and pull the rear bow to the vertical position. If I neglect to do this the tonneau cover would not open. For some reason when put the top down yesterday, I was not paying attention until I heard a horrible grinding noise and saw that the cover was partially open and stuck on the convertible top that was not all the way vertical.

At this point I raised the rear bow, but still got the grinding sound when trying to continue to put the top down. I was able to close the top with no problem. I thought the next step would be to manually open the top and do a reset. The top is fully automatic so I used my drill and 5 mm allen wrench to open the front section, used the release lever under the rear seat to disengage the motors, and manually put the top down. Then I put weights on the tonneau cover so it would be all the way down and actuate the cover down switch. Opened the trunk and engaged the motors.

Now, when I try to automatically close the top I get the grinding noise as soon as I press the close switch.

I found the following in a forum search: Gears are stripped, mounting plate is severely bent, tonneau cover and mechanism is binding caused undue pressure.

My questions are, Is there something else I should do prior to removing the motor assembly? Where can I find those gears? How far do I have to disassemble this unit in order to straighten the plate?

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    There are plenty of Stickies at the top of the Forum for your reference and research, but this video will help get you started:

Video of the procedure, by millertimebmw03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boiybaJkMrI

If you're still hearing grinding, you haven't fully engaged the motors gears. If your rear bow doesn't go fully vertical to clear the Tonneau cover, your tension straps are likely worn out.

My Cars
    Bmw 325i
    Is there any forum or video on how to change the gear of the top motor?

My Cars
    BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Julitroxa View Post
    Is there any forum or video on how to change the gear of the top motor here?
    What about video at the top of you message
    Last edited by poorLy; 10-19-2023 at 03:10 AM.