I'm trying to diagnose my door lock and central locking system. When I unlock my car with the key in the door, the front door unlocks and the alarm beeps twice. When I return the key to the middle position (between lock and unlock), the alarm beeps once, all doors lock, and the security system arms. The lock works properly. To get in the car, I need to unlock the door (disabling the system), open the door with the key in the door, remove the key (then activating the security system). Nothing works until I then turn the key in the ignition, which sets off the alarm for a chirp, and disables the alarm. The center console button works only after i put the key in the ignition. I took apart the door handle and locking mechanism. There is a barrel that is linked to the key cylinder and has two small switches riding on it - almost like a music box barrel. So here is my question... is it a switch problem or a software problem. Can I diagnose it through ISTA or something?... by the way my key fobs are dead and I'm working on changing the batteries so I'm stuck with the key.

Thanks,

Joe