Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Toyota 2GR swapping my e30

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford

    Toyota 2GR swapping my e30

    I am new to this forum. And I am most definitely new to BMW. But I have been a mechanic for 20 years, and 15 of that I was with Toyota.
    I bought a 1986 325e for exremely cheap. The car is in pretty good shape for it sitting for the last 10 years.
    I got the car home, I pressure washed the mold off the car.
    I replaced the Fuel Pump and filter under the driver side of the car and replaced the Spark Plugs and Fuel Injectors, and I drained the fuel tank and blew out the fuel lines.
    The car started right up after all of that, but the car seems under powered and smokes like hell.
    My question is...
    Has anyone done a 2GR swap an one of these cars? And can anyone point me in the right direction on doing this swap?
    I see a ton of 2JZ and newer BMW engines being put in these cars, but I cant find anything on doing a 2GR swap.
    I have access to a 2010 Lexus IS350. I would like to put the engine and transmission in the E30, but im thinking that im going to have to fabricate all the mounts and harness and everything from scratch.
    The 2GR-FSE makes right at 300 HP. That's more than twice the HP the stock M20 is making.
    I think this swap would make an awesome, fun, reliable daily driver.
    Last edited by GBPe30; 10-12-2022 at 12:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arida Zona
    Posts
    30,082
    My Cars
    z3
    In my state it's a felony to put a V6 in a BMW

    A well modded M54 will probably be faster than that engine anyways, even with less power on paper. Or go N52 and with some bolt ons they get 300hp(ish)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    506
    My Cars
    my brother's ti
    N52 would be an awesome motor to swap in.

    Imagine a v6 in an e30 though. With the engine only 3 cylinders long... you could easily get most of the weight behind the strut towers haha

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    25,287
    My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I am thinking about a swap for a 75 2002 and while I am really familiar with the M50, it is too long. The M20 is more compact, but I am leaning towards an all aluminum 4 cylinder like the Honda KA24. Had not really thought about a V6 but not sure a 2002 has enough width in the bay for modern ones with fat 4 valve heads. Maybe a 60 degree V6?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3LX View Post
    N52 would be an awesome motor to swap in.

    Imagine a v6 in an e30 though. With the engine only 3 cylinders long... you could easily get most of the weight behind the strut towers haha
    Thats one reason I want the 2GR. That engine is not very long or wide. That would help get really close to a 50/50 ratio in my E30.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I am thinking about a swap for a 75 2002 and while I am really familiar with the M50, it is too long. The M20 is more compact, but I am leaning towards an all aluminum 4 cylinder like the Honda KA24. Had not really thought about a V6 but not sure a 2002 has enough width in the bay for modern ones with fat 4 valve heads. Maybe a 60 degree V6?
    I also thought about doing a Honda 4cyl swap. Maybe a Honda H Series or K Series. They can produce over 300hp easily. But im not a Honda fan whatsoever....
    I know Toyota in and out. I know the 2GR engines are extremely reliable and there are companies that make aftermarket parts for them. And even a basic 2GR out of a Camry or Highlander makes 270HP stock.

    - - - Updated - - -

    My original question was; Does anyone on here know if there is a company that makes motor mounts and transmission mount for doing a E30 2GR swap??

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPe30 View Post
    Thats one reason I want the 2GR. That engine is not very long or wide. That would help get really close to a 50/50 ratio in my E30.
    I took some measurements today. The 2GR
    Is 6 inches wider and 7 inches shorter than the BMW M20 engine. And the weight of the 2GR and M20 are almost identical.
    So, the 2GR will sit a little further back, but not much.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    506
    My Cars
    my brother's ti
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPe30 View Post
    I also thought about doing a Honda 4cyl swap. Maybe a Honda H Series or K Series. They can produce over 300hp easily. But im not a Honda fan whatsoever....
    I know Toyota in and out. I know the 2GR engines are extremely reliable and there are companies that make aftermarket parts for them. And even a basic 2GR out of a Camry or Highlander makes 270HP stock.

    - - - Updated - - -

    My original question was; Does anyone on here know if there is a company that makes motor mounts and transmission mount for doing a E30 2GR swap??
    there is no one that makes swap parts for that. and unfortunately, there probably never will be. maybe consider a gm 4.3 v6. some ls swap parts may work

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3LX View Post
    there is no one that makes swap parts for that. and unfortunately, there probably never will be. maybe consider a gm 4.3 v6. some ls swap parts may work
    I thought about that. An mid 2000's 4.3 makes good power and there are tons of performance parts for that engine.
    I also thought about putting a newer 4.3 (the one that is based off of the LS engine) but there is not much stuff out there for the newer 4.3 yet....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thanks for all the info. Any info on doing a swap is welcome.
    I have almost talked myself into either building the M20, or LS swap, or even a 4cyl Honda swap. But i really dont want a Honda engine under the hood of my BMW. and again, Im Not A Honda Fan.
    *I really want to put something Toyota in this car.
    I waited to long to grab that IS350, so as of right now any input is welcome.
    Last edited by GBPe30; 10-21-2022 at 11:03 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford
    I found a complete 2006 BMW 325i that I can buy for $800.
    Would the engine that is in a 2006 325i even be worth putting in Mt e30? I think that engine makes like 215hp stock.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    506
    My Cars
    my brother's ti
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPe30 View Post
    I found a complete 2006 BMW 325i that I can buy for $800.
    Would the engine that is in a 2006 325i even be worth putting in Mt e30? I think that engine makes like 215hp stock.
    I would not recommend. too much work, not enough gainz. turbo m52 gets my vote. by far the most bang for the buck in an e30.

    or if you wana be different and have a cool build.. newer gm 4.3 "LS" with twins all day!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arida Zona
    Posts
    30,082
    My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPe30 View Post
    I found a complete 2006 BMW 325i that I can buy for $800.
    Would the engine that is in a 2006 325i even be worth putting in Mt e30? I think that engine makes like 215hp stock.
    The M54 2.5 makes 189hp stock

    An M54 3.0 would be a lot of fun in the E30. Lightweight due to the aluminum block and 225hp stock

    Turbo M52 would be good due but obviously a lot more $$

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee,Wi
    Posts
    33
    My Cars
    1996 318ti 3.8L Turbo
    How about the 3sgte(3rd gen) you will need an adapter plate to run the rwd trans, alteeza 2.0L will work.
    I am considering doing this to an 85 celica coupe that has a 22re.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford
    What about a GM 3.8 (3800) V6 and T5 manual transmission out of a 1996-2002 Camaro/Firebird? {{200HP & 225TQ Stock}}.
    Those engines are really easy to find because GM put it in a ton of cars. And they are fairly reliable and easy to get parts....
    And after all is said and done, I can put the Eaton M90 supercharger on it that came stock on some of the Grand Prix's and some of the Buick's.
    The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8) Has 260HP & 280TQ...
    260hp & 280tq would make my 2500 pound E30 a really Fun & Reliable Daily Driver.
    Last edited by GBPe30; 11-01-2022 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    506
    My Cars
    my brother's ti
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPe30 View Post
    What about a GM 3.8 (3800) V6 and T5 manual transmission out of a 1996-2002 Camaro/Firebird? {{200HP & 225TQ Stock}}.
    Those engines are really easy to find because GM put it in a ton of cars. And they are fairly reliable and easy to get parts....
    And after all is said and done, I can put the Eaton M90 supercharger on it that came stock on some of the Grand Prix's and some of the Buick's.
    The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8) Has 260HP & 280TQ...
    260hp & 280tq would make my 2500 pound E30 a really Fun & Reliable Daily Driver.
    that would be cool but I still vote for newer GM 4.3. Transmission, motor/trans mounts and possibly even headers may be easier than most other swaps because of it being a copy of the LS. Motor swaps are big projects and take lots of money and time. try to make it as easy as possible on yourself.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    8
    My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e. 2012 Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3LX View Post
    that would be cool but I still vote for newer GM 4.3. Transmission, motor/trans mounts and possibly even headers may be easier than most other swaps because of it being a copy of the LS. Motor swaps are big projects and take lots of money and time. try to make it as easy as possible on yourself.
    That's why im now leaning towards GM. I will look into the newer style 4.3.
    Thanks....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2023
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1
    My Cars
    1994 E36 318i- 2GR-FSE s

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by GBPe30 View Post
    I am new to this forum. And I am most definitely new to BMW. But I have been a mechanic for 20 years, and 15 of that I was with Toyota.
    I bought a 1986 325e for exremely cheap. The car is in pretty good shape for it sitting for the last 10 years.
    I got the car home, I pressure washed the mold off the car.
    I replaced the Fuel Pump and filter under the driver side of the car and replaced the Spark Plugs and Fuel Injectors, and I drained the fuel tank and blew out the fuel lines.
    The car started right up after all of that, but the car seems under powered and smokes like hell.
    My question is...
    Has anyone done a 2GR swap an one of these cars? And can anyone point me in the right direction on doing this swap?
    I see a ton of 2JZ and newer BMW engines being put in these cars, but I cant find anything on doing a 2GR swap.
    I have access to a 2010 Lexus IS350. I would like to put the engine and transmission in the E30, but im thinking that im going to have to fabricate all the mounts and harness and everything from scratch.
    The 2GR-FSE makes right at 300 HP. That's more than twice the HP the stock M20 is making.
    I think this swap would make an awesome, fun, reliable daily driver.
    i like your 2GR-FSE or FE swap idea...
    plan to do the same with my 94 E36 318i, i feel the best way to go about this would be to get the 2GR with the transmission and ecu it was matted with from factory...i am sure you know this will be an interesting swap that you can pass info on to the community. Frankenstein Motorworks has some interesting parts he developed, check him out for ideas, his application is mid drive but ecu and intake is something you will have to get into as well...if you can weld/fabricate; that would put you at an advantage, can probably make your mounts engine and trans...
    these guys did it! 2GRFSE Swapped E36 Is Alive on youtube Mashallah #2grfse #e36. the engine is in, it starts; short video but inspirational.

    seen a few IS350 motor and trans on the bay for cool prices, will check my local yards before going that route...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2023
    Location
    STL Missouri
    Posts
    1
    My Cars
    98 323is
    Did you end up looking more into the 2gr swap in your e30? I think this swap is very interesting and I think sooner or later there is going to end up being more support for it. As wrong as it seems to swap any V6 into an e36 I canít help but feel like this swap (from a performance and coolness standpoint) seems to make so much sense.

Similar Threads

  1. E30 E36 M3 5lug swap on e30.Roadstars fit?
    By george jung in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 08:11 AM
  2. E30 E36 M3 5lug swap on e30.Roadstars fit?
    By george jung in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 02:32 AM
  3. E30 E36 M3 5lug swap on e30.Roadstars fit?
    By george jung in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 02:32 AM
  4. E30 E36 M3 5lug swap on e30.Roadstars fit?
    By george jung in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 02:31 AM
  5. E30 $3800 Full OBD1 S52 Swap for E30 (NORCAL)
    By MaloventEvil in forum Engines, Performance Parts & Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •