Thread: Vibration During High Speeds

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

Vibration During High Speeds

Hi all, 11 328xi auto 108k
    While driving on the highway, when I reach 55 - 60mph, I feel a vibration on the steering wheel. I also feel a vibrational pattern throughout the entire car every second. I put on cruise control at 59 mph and while cruising, I feel that vibration, then it fades, then it comes back and so on and so forth until I slow down under 55mph. I can feel the vibration throughout the entire car. It's intermittent. Yesterday I felt it on the way home from the store. This morning, on my way to work, I didn't feel it. Even the steering wheel didn't vibrate this morning. The last thing I did to the car was add transmission fluid Saturday while the car was running until the fluid started to seep out.
    The driver side CV axle was replaced recently, not by me. The passenger side is still OEM. I can see on the driver front side tire some wear on the inner portion of the tire, but the passenger side tire doesn't have wear. I assume the PO drove the car with the bad CV axle and wore the tire down a little.
    The tires are Hankook and they look decent with a lot of tread. Should I swap the fronts to the back and see if the vibration goes away?
    There is absolutely no vibration during acceleration or any of the lower speeds, which tells me it's not the Guibo or driveshaft. I'm not sure if the vibration is from the mounts because I'm not exactly sure of the symptoms of bad tranny mounts. Could it be the torque converter causing the vibration at that speed?
    I do know for sure I need new rotors because when I brake the car pulsates. The steering wheel doesn't pulsate when I brake, the car pulsates.
    I'm wondering if all this is occurring from the torque converter. After changing the transmission oil, I still get shudder. I even threw in the shudder fix. Is it time for a new torque converter?

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Normally, what you're describing is a tire balance issue or a bad tire belt. When it happens again, rotate the tires front to back.

Also, run the palm of your hand over the tire tread and feel for something funny.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    I just swapped the tires from front to back. I ran my hand over the worn area and I don't feel any abnormalities. No bumps, no threads or exposed metal. I will update tomorrow after my commute to work. Thanks!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Update: I drove to work this morning and I "guess" I don't feel the vibration, but the car feels as if it wants to veer to the right. I only drove above 55mph for less than a minute because the county is repaving the highways. 45mph is the fastest I can go. I'm hoping I can drive above 55mph on my way home for lunch to get an actual reading.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Drove home at lunch and I don't feel the vibration. I think it's safe to assume the driver side tire might be the culprit, due to the wear on the inner corner. I'll give it a few more runs to confirm.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    I can safely say the vibration went away. I'm not sure if it was transmission related or the slight wear on the front driver side tire. Apparently, the transmission started shifting smoother the day after I rotated the tires. So, I can't confirm which one was the culprit, unless I swap the tires back. I'm happy with the results so, don't fix what ain't broke. lol