Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Im the big winner!... hopefully. 98 Z3 with a Dinan Supercharger

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    ...But, from what I read, none of this applies to FI engines...
    I agree. In my humble experience, a better-tuned DME (along with e85) will give a significant performance increase for FI than the M50.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    I think the M50 debate is beat to death, but the fact is the larger M50 runners trade top end at the expense of mid-range. Can you add a tune to get that mid-range back? Absolutely, so why not...

As far as pricing goes. Yes, I can spend my day hitting junkyards but theres a convenience factor of "here it is" and all I have to do is carry it to my car, versus scouring junkyards hoping theres a M50 BMW that still has its intake. Im married with a toddler so the cost was an acceptable amount for me to pay vs the alternatives. Time has a value factor too.

Anyways, there are other mods I want to do and the pairing of M50, bigger injectors, bigger MAF and the supercharger can get me to S54 numbers without the weight penalty on the nose of the car... thats a win for me.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
    I think the M50 debate is beat to death, but the fact is the larger M50 runners trade top end at the expense of mid-range. Can you add a tune to get that mid-range back? Absolutely, so why not...

As far as pricing goes. Yes, I can spend my day hitting junkyards but theres a convenience factor of "here it is" and all I have to do is carry it to my car, versus scouring junkyards hoping theres a M50 BMW that still has its intake. Im married with a toddler so the cost was an acceptable amount for me to pay vs the alternatives. Time has a value factor too.

Anyways, there are other mods I want to do and the pairing of M50, bigger injectors, bigger MAF and the supercharger can get me to S54 numbers without the weight penalty on the nose of the car... thats a win for me.
    Typically SC kit comes with larger injectors. So you can cross that out. Just trying to help out based on my experience. You can always try it out just as well. Regardless you'll have fun for sure!

Edit: Btw, I also do need a higher flow MAF as I'm maxing out to 5v at just below 6800rpm (13psi). Kindda risky since it's at the high load/high rpm situation. I made the top-end WOT fuel extra rich by guessing. Not ideal but will have to do for now until i get a MAF that can actually read higher air volumn. ;-)
    Last edited by nevan; 11-10-2022 at 10:15 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Got some updates from Brandon.

Subframe is out

trunk is just about ready for surgery

​​​​​​​Looks like the water was coming in from the pass side, not sure where specifically yet. That will be fun lol

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    My back hurts just thinking about work that's about to begin to open up the cavity and the welding prep
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Welding Prep Like this:
    Welding Prep for RF KIt.jpg

After Install
    After Randy Forbes Kit Install.jpg

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Exactly!
    Tony

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Im just grateful my buddy is doing it haha

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Reached out to Dinan and asked a few questions. They sent me a free gift because this car should’ve had this already... yes it will lose some of its sleeper status but that’s ok with me. I’m not totally sure where I want to mount it on the back.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8 Dinan
    Yo found this and watching 🤩🍿

Been some years since I’ve be been on bimmerforums. Let me know when it’s home would love to see it 👍
    Last edited by peakay; 12-04-2022 at 12:57 PM.

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Quote Originally Posted by peakay View Post
    Yo found this and watching 朗

Been some years since I’ve be been on bimmerforums. Let me know when it’s home would love to see it 
    haha you and me both! ... fingers crossed that we can choose between cruising Alfa’s or Zs up to Newcombs in ‘23

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    3 months later and all I have to account for this is more parts! haha...

One of my buddies hooked me up with a set of headlights & taillights. Not sure what the plan is with them just yet other than collecting dust in MY garage versus the other guy who wanted them out.

My other impulse purchase is about ready for the car. A set of scoops to replace the foglamps

My buddy who has the 3D printer is going to clean them up for me and send them out next week. Should have some updates on the car itself soon too... The holidays slowed things down but now that its all over the progress should pick up.

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Well... how about a 3/6 update? Subframe has been reinstalled! Welding is all done...one of these days I will need to go get this thing!

In the meantime I have bought ONE more part thats en route to be installed with an existing piece I have. I bought a Luisi Hub that is supposed to work with both Momo & Nardi/ Personal wheels and I have a Nardi wheel that will look perfect in place of that ugly 90s airbag wheel. Im still undecided on the horn button, but I think I should just get a Nardi one & be done with it. Not sure a BMW horn button will work

Last edited by 2mAn; 03-06-2023 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Cool looking wheel. I have seen several cars with an aftermarket wheel. I assume that the other airbag(s) are left intact? How does one deal with this? Does the system still deploy the other bags if the correct sensors are triggered?
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    I dont think these cars had as many airbags as more modern cars. I believe its just one in the steering for the driver and one in the dash for the passenger. Im sure the passenger one will still go off if it needs to.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    There are also air bags in the door cards.
    Tony

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    There are also air bags in the door cards.
    Not on the earlier models. My '99 built in March (I believe) of '99 does not have side airbags.

I'm not sure but I thought I remembered a thread where someone deleted the steering wheel airbag and replaced it with a resistor of a specific value (Ohmage?) but I'm not at all sure on that.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    My MY 2000 has airbags in the doors. I started researching the life of airbags recently and while it seems ours are "new enough" that they shouldn't stop working with time, It was an interesting question since nobody makes a new airbag anymore for it and eventually we are just going to have to get creative.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Both of my early 1999 vehicles (built within two weeks of each other in Jan/Feb '99) have side airbags.

Sweet Nardi! I just bought one as well. To my knowledge, it was a Z3-specific wheel.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post

Sweet Nardi! I just bought one as well. To my knowledge, it was a Z3-specific wheel.

That is a lovely wheel! Congrats

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Both of my early 1999 vehicles (built within two weeks of each other in Jan/Feb '99) have side airbags.
    I wonder if U.S. and Canadian models were different.

'very nice wheel BTW and it has an airbag.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    I wonder if U.S. and Canadian models were different.

'very nice wheel BTW and it has an airbag.
    Eh, good point. I believe all 1999 Ms had side airbags, but I really don't know.

Thank you. I think 3 wheels for one car is enough. When I have the wooden one in hand, I'll line up all 3 for a comparison. My current wheel is the same Euro style, but was rewrapped with some added grip areas. Since I kept the wood console panels (ditched the boomerangs), this made sense to me. The price didn't, but not like these pop up often (I've kept an eye out for about 4 years now).

Last edited by s8ilver; 03-08-2023 at 03:09 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Eh, good point. I believe all 1999 Ms had side airbags, but I really don't know.

Thank you. I think 3 wheels for one car is enough. When I have the wooden one in hand, I'll line up all 3 for a comparison. My current wheel is the same Euro style, but was rewrapped with some added grip areas. Since I kept the wood console panels (ditched the boomerangs), this made sense to me. The price didn't, but not like these pop up often (I've kept an eye out for about 4 years now).

I love the feel of my wooden steering wheel, especially while wearing "shorty" leather gloves like these. Without them my hands feel naked on the wooden wheel. I wouldn't bother with them on a padded wheel myself but on the wooden wheel oh yeah!
    Last edited by Hoyt Clagwell; 03-08-2023 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Ok, how about a car related update?

My Cars
    X5 328i 325iT Z3
    Reached out to Dinan and asked a few questions. They sent me a free gift because this car should’ve had this already... yes it will lose some of its sleeper status but that’s ok with me. I’m not totally sure where I want to mount it on the back.

Ok, how about a car related update?

Sweet A$$ Dinan Zed! Let me know when you get tired of it. LOL. Congratulations!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast