Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im the big winner!... hopefully. 98 Z3 with a Dinan Supercharger

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo

Cool Im the big winner!... hopefully. 98 Z3 with a Dinan Supercharger

Hey everyone. I've been around for a minute but havent had much of a reason to post here, until yesterday. Like many of us nowadays, I spend half my day behind the computer and that typically means that I have a few forums open, several Bring A Trailer auctions and then the other thing... (work)

Well, I've been back in the office and it keeps me busy but yesterday I had to work from home and that meant I had more BaT time. Had my usual dozen windows open and one was on a Z3. I didnt get a chance to look closely at it, but it was a Z3 with my favorite motor. The 97/98 Z3 with the Aluminum block M52. Not only that but it had a Dinan Supercharger. No Reserve and was only at $4800 with a few hours to go. I was fully expecting it to get over $10k so I was just in a passive 'watch' mode.

Fast forward and theres about 10 minutes left and its been sitting at $6,200. I know Bring a Trailer and I know No-Reserve means that the last "two minutes" are when all the action comes in.

I looked at a few things and thought, a $6,367 would be a fun bid because 36/7. Fired that off... and then.... the clock ran out! No more bids!!...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-z3-67/

what have I done!? I guess I better look closer. Eh, not too bad. Some cosmetic issues... LOW miles (~62k)... oh but whats that? the dreaded trunk floor issue. Oh and its on the other side of the country...

Well, I guess I bought myself a Z3. I have a plan ( I always do!) ... stay tuned.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Congratulations! Hope your plan works out.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Even if the car is a heap (I don't think it is), you've got a supercharger! Sort that sub frame and you'll have a very nice $10k supercharged 2.8. Ok, maybe add a couple $k for cosmetics, but I think you did fine.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by s8ilver; 10-06-2022 at 01:24 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Got ahold of Randy Forbes and have my eyes on a few other pieces to get done at the same time. Also spoke with a company to get the car shipped from Mass to Omaha, NE where my buddy and his shop will handle it. Slices the shipping cost in half and much cheaper labor bill VS keeping it local or shipping it here and having it fixed. Road Trip from Omaha to Los Angeles?... sure why not lol

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Well, PayPals and reservations have been made.

Randy Forbes’ Kit has been paid for, and got some RevShift Subframe mounts from the classifieds here. Also working on a larger order from Bluntech to get a few other items. Diff Mount, CSB, Giubo, soft brake lines are the main items on the list. Want to make sure the old rubber items that can cause some problems in the long drive are addressed.

Looks like the car will be picked up at the end of the week!...

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    You may also want to make sure your AAA membership is paid up. The spare tire may not be able to hold air at its age. I would also carry a plug kit and compressor.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    You may also want to make sure your AAA membership is paid up. The spare tire may not be able to hold air at its age. I would also carry a plug kit and compressor.
    AAA plus is ready, and I can probably sneak in an additional call through my Hagerty Drivers Club just in case I am stuck in BFE.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Hope you don't need to use either and have a very fun trip.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Ahh, the rest of the story

Kit shipped out today, thanks!

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Ahh, the rest of the story

Kit shipped out today, thanks!

Car shipped out today also!

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Not that it matters, but your car isn’t Boston Green as it was advertised. Boston Green is a turquoise metallic color. I have a Coupe this color. BaT usually vets these things better. Your car is DunkleGrun (dark green).
    I hope your impulse buy pans out to be a good solid car! At least now, you can quit your surfing for a Z3 to buy. Welcome to Z ownership.
    -Donny

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Yes the Boston Green “issue” was brought up in the auction. I don’t really care one way or another.

Bring A Trailer and their vetting process is a joke so the color issue didn’t surprise me at all... and they never even bother to fix their mistake

My Cars
    '96 Dodge Caravan
    Congratulations on the car, it looks like a fun time!!!

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Car arrived in Omaha yesterday!! (at the Golden hour nonetheless!)

Several packages have also arrived. Thank you to Randy Forbes, Bluntech and @scenturion for the parts. Looks like I might still need a few more after Brandons initial drive, but we will deal with everything accordingly!

First drive impressions (from Brandon) were as follows:

(1) Clutch is super light, probably a big change from his M30-Turbo E30
    (2) Really needs some shifter bushings (On the list for the next order now)
    (3) Rear End tram lines (Hoping the work he does and stuff he replaces fixes this)
    (4) Thermostat? Car was running for a while and even on the drive it never budged past 1/4. Heat was warm though so it could be sensor or a gauge. Needs further investigating.
    (5) Driver seat back seems a "a bit meh" Hopefully the added goodie that scenturion included will take care of that.

My Cars
    '00 Z3, ‘01 540iT
    i noticed my car hasn’t been getting up to temp lately as well, i found some people over on the e46 forums saying that most of the thermostats being made nowadays are soft failing aka they open too early, preventing the car from getting up to temp. I ordered a replacement from fcpeuro a few days ago, i’ll let you know if it solves my issue

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman7913 View Post
    i noticed my car hasn’t been getting up to temp lately as well, i found some people over on the e46 forums saying that most of the thermostats being made nowadays are soft failing aka they open too early, preventing the car from getting up to temp. I ordered a replacement from fcpeuro a few days ago, i’ll let you know if it solves my issue
    To be fair, it was ~30* out so that might be a factor... but its definitely something my buddy is going to be keeping an eye on.

In other (GOOD) news, my buddy has slowly begun tearing the car down. Exhaust came off easy which was a good sign as the car has lived its entire life in Mass and we were concerned about rusty bolts. So far so good!...

In other (BAD) news, the trunk appears to have the scent of a stinky gym bag. A search for taillight seals found that they arent really cheap (~$80 each) and I still will need a trunk seal as well... Luckily the car wont see lots of rain in SoCal so they are low priority!
    Last edited by 2mAn; 10-25-2022 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Are you sure your third brake light gasket is good? That, and the plastic sealing frame/butyl sealant/tack strip for the convertible top are common areas for trunk leaks.

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    Are you sure your third brake light gasket is good? That, and the plastic sealing frame/butyl sealant/tack strip for the convertible top are common areas for trunk leaks.
    No idea, but I will add those two spots on the check list. Thanks

My Cars
    '00 Z3, ‘01 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
    To be fair, it was ~30* out so that might be a factor... but its definitely something my buddy is going to be keeping an eye on.
    Hey I just finished my test drive w my new thermostat, it was 100% the problem. I changed it out last thanksgiving for a cheap aftermarket one when mine unexpectedly popped, so this time around I went with OE from FCP Euro. Now the car gets up to temp just fine and stays there.

BTW, the temp gauge isn’t a good reference for coolant temp. Top dead center is actually a range from 75C to 120C (might be wrong on the upper range), so if it’s not even reaching TDC then you’re definitely not up to temp. It should be around ~95 plus or minus five. You can check the live coolant temp thru the hidden tests on the instrument cluster, there’s a couple videos and forum posts detailing how to access them - it’s very easy. Test 7.0 is the one you want for coolant temp
    Last edited by dantheman7913; 11-04-2022 at 01:14 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
    Ambient temperature doesn't really matter, especially given that on our cars the TDC of the coolant gauge represents a wide range of temperatures as it is a "dummy gauge". TDC represents the entire normal operating range of the engine. If at any time it fails to reach TDC during normal driving, the thermostat is most likely faulty.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely have my buddy double check that piece before I try to drive it halfway across the country.

In other news, today was the SoCal Vintage BMW show and while the Z3s are now allowed, the majority there were stock models other than one that had a bunch of Hamann pieces and I can say that 19” are simply too big. I’ve been exploring some lightweight 17” or 18” wheels, and while I wasn’t planning on getting one, the $120 for the OBD1 intake meant I bought a piece for the car before it arrives home lol

Last edited by 2mAn; 11-05-2022 at 10:50 PM.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Do you mean to say you paid $120 for the manifold pictured? Those are like $20-$25 in the U-pull yards. That, and I’m not convinced that is really a performance upgrade. Maybe at the top of the rpm range under boost, at the expense of lower rpm response.
    -Donny

My Cars
    '00 Z3, ‘01 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    Do you mean to say you paid $120 for the manifold pictured? Those are like $20-$25 in the U-pull yards. That, and I’m not convinced that is really a performance upgrade. Maybe at the top of the rpm range under boost, at the expense of lower rpm response.
    -Donny
    I have zero experience w this but I think since the car is boosted it should benefit from the larger intake runners right? I mean it'll def need a tune for the intake vanos to get all the potential out of it, but idk it makes sense to me.

Sorry to say 2mAn but you really did overpay for it, the intake manifold I got from the junk yard was $30

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    A search for taillight seals found that they arent really cheap (~$80 each)
    For NLA parts? Yes, that is.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman7913 View Post
    I have zero experience w this but I think since the car is boosted it should benefit from the larger intake runners right? I mean it'll def need a tune for the intake vanos to get all the potential out of it, but idk it makes sense to me.

Sorry to say 2mAn but you really did overpay for it, the intake manifold I got from the junk yard was $30
    I have no experience either (so what are we doing here?), but I've read enough to add my 2 cents worth: I bought an M50 manifold years ago, but have never installed it, because you are right: one trades mid-range power for top-end power. One can get a tune and a few other parts to bring the mid-range power back, but then it starts looking like significant money/hp. ..... But, from what I read, none of this applies to FI engines. They will benefit from the larger manifold.

I paid under $100 for mine years ago, and I see them recently for $100 or more, so it doesn't seem you over-paid. (The most recent one for sale on this site is $180!) Maybe some are $30 because you pull it yourself? Maybe those numbers are old?
    Last edited by zellamay; 11-10-2022 at 09:59 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast