Thread: FS: 80 320i 5spd, 86k miles, 3 owner, originally CA car

My Cars
    1980 320i, ‘07 VW rabbit

FS: 80 320i 5spd, 86k miles, 3 owner, originally CA car

Another update. I have many many pictures of my car of common spots where these cars rust and they show that mine has some rust, but not everywhere and truly not that bad. I’m trying to be transparent and it seems a lot of people don’t believe me or don’t even want to challenge me and ask for pictures. The car isn’t perfect, but it truly isn’t a lost cause and is a solid driver. I’m not trying to play it off as a perfect car, or trying to swindle people, or even flip the car. I’m just an enthusiast who found another car and needs to make room for my growing family. Make me an offer for what you think it’s worth if you’re interested.

Hey guys, I’m sure a lot of you have probably already seen my car for sale, it’s listed on Autotrader Classics and hagerty marketplace. For those of you who haven’t seen it, or maybe passed it up because of one reason or another, here it is, with a lowered asking price of $13,000. I originally listed at 15k, which I knew was high, but I always adjust for low ball offers. I’m afraid I may have scared too many people off with the high price. I know it’s not quite worth that, but it is a really solid, clean, and immediately driveable car. Was going to be my autocross toy, but I got an 89 civic si that is already prepped and is much cheaper and easier to maintain and find parts for as far as autocross goes. I did do about 10 autocross events in it, with aftermarket wheels and tires. Those are gone, the original steelies have great condition Toyo all seasons on them. I ended up mainly driving the car on weekends, errands after work, and a road trip in April 2022 to the BMW 02 fest in Arkansas. It never skipped a beat.
    link to Autotrader at bottom.

Text me if you have questions or are interested at 918-740-6693.
    My name is Connor. I’m happy to talk, open to reasonable offers, and need this sold so my wife can get a new daily for our 7 month old baby to grow up in.

Pros:
    1st owner owned car for 33 years(~81k miles), and kept an incredible log book, from repairs, maintenance, all the way down to fuel fill ups and calculated mpg’s. Unfortunately there’s no official service records, but the way he filled this logbook out makes me believe every word of it.

The car starts cold, hot, lukewarm, whatever temp, really well and every time and the engine runs as smoothly as ever. I purchased the car from the second owner, local to me in Oklahoma, who only put about 3.5k miles on it from 2013 to 2020. He was a middle aged man who drove it on date night cruises with his wife and that seems to be it. He didn’t modify it at all.

The chassis is in really good condition with no rust on major structural components, but I will talk about the rust it does have in the Cons.

Suspension, to my knowledge, is original and rides exceptionally well. The smoothest car I’ve ever owned and the shocks do not bounce in the slightest.

Body is in overall, really clean and straight condition. There is no evidence of any accidents or major repairs that I can see.

Paint(minus hood) looks fantastic, and the Biscayablau is an underrated color in my opinion.

Interior is immaculate. All seats and door cards are in perfect condition, carpets have no wear holes and no stains, all the original floor mats are still present. Rear parcel shelf is perfect. Stereo is an upgraded Bluetooth unit with a small (unobnoxious) sub/amp combo that sounds great.

Sunroof handle isn’t broken, hazard switch isn’t broken.

Never understood this bimmerfan obsession, but the tool kit is all there and looks unused.

Still have both of the original blue California plates

CONS:
    Worst first, rust is beginning to show underneath the front windshield seal, was like that when I got it and hasn’t been a concern of mine as there are no leaks in the glovebox, interior.

Rust under the rear trunk seal is also beginning to show, but is minor and the seals themselves, (including front and all around) are all still soft, pliable rubber.

Rust spot under the right taillight. It’s a small patch in circumference, but needs addressing for mostly cosmetic purposes. The right taillight lens is also cracked, not sure if that’s the source or if it’s from the trunk seal rust or whatever.

Clear coat on hood is peeling.

Slow leak at distributor housing gasket.

AC has been removed, I had plans of modifying the car for autocross performance, so that 50lbs was first to go. All components come with the car.

I had my favorite local exhaust shop delete the rear muffler. It’s a bit louder than you would want for a luxury cruiser, it it’s really not too droney, and it sounds strong. Y’all probably know. Original muffler comes with the car.

Modifcations:
    AC delete
    Rear muffler delete
    Ireland Engineering lower chassis brace
    Polyurethane front outer control arm/swaybar bushings(which actually eliminated the 55mph shimmy)
    Modern head unit, speakers, and subwoofer.

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...320i/101772602
    Last edited by Connor918; 10-17-2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Price adjustment

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Nice looking car and it is a very cool rare color! Looks like it is in great shape too. I would keep it 100% stock and put the stock radio and muffler back, if you have them. It may bring a better price.
    Good luck with the sale!

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    The rust spots (windshield especially) and the clear coat pealing hood I think would be a problem to get the $13,000? Knowing what a good quality rust repair and paint work cost now a days. For me it would really require a full paint job to get that amount.

I wish you the best of luck in the seller her!
    Last edited by msiert; 10-09-2022 at 11:20 AM.
    Murray

My Cars
    1980 320i, ‘07 VW rabbit
    I’m regards to the rust and paint and price, what would you think it’s worth? I feel like it’s ridiculous to think that this car couldn’t bring 10k, it’s still an incredibly solid car and really low miles, that’s gotta be good for something

My Cars
    1981 320i silver

I saw a nice clean car, then looked closer at your pictures. These will get rain water flowing into the glovebox, and into the trunk. So it needs work. I think you'd be lucky to get $10k.