Thread: Particle Filter Warning

My Cars
    2010 318d

Particle Filter Warning

Hi,
    thank you for letting me join.
    I have just purchased a 2010 318d. Full BMW service history, one owner car. Approx 160k miles. The chap I bought it off, told me there was a warning about a particle filter showing for the last year in the car. He brought it to his BMW who told him he needed to get it fixed for a cost of about 2k. Otherwise smoke could start going into the cabin of the car. He did not get it done as the car is driving perfect.
    He thinks maybe BMW has a setting to show that warning after x amount of miles. He drove long distance journeys once a month, so he thinks the filter is well cleaned. Since I have had the car its driving perfect.
    The warning says "Possible reduction in engine power"
    Should this be something I should be worried about?

How can I solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    I don’t have any experience with BMW diesels, but I do with Mercedes diesels and Powerstrokes.

If it were me, I would go ahead and replace the DPF if I were going to keep the car. Some people have had success with cleaning the DPF, which may be a less expensive option for you. DPF cleaning has gotten a lot more effective and common in recent years in the diesel truck world.

With most diesels, if the DPF becomes fully clogged and is unable to regen, the vehicle will go into limp mode. It sounds like your DPF is not yet fully clogged, but might be close. It’s great that the previous owner intentionally took long trips monthly to encourage regens, but still, that DPF has had a long life (assuming it’s the original). Also, I’m not sure how BMWs handle regens, but I believe my Mercedes needs 45-60 minutes at highway speed to accomplish a regen. I’ve read that if the speed drops below 35 mph, the regen may cancel.

Newer pickup trucks have a gauge that tells you how much soot is in your DPF. I wish our cars had that!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cars:
    2011 BMW 328i
    2013 Mercedes GL350