Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ihka solar sensor

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Been looking at garages with houses attached the last few weekends as the Real estate taxes are getting way out of control here in the People's Republic of No VA. Looking at 3+garage homes or lots that will accommodate a 3+ garage standalone.
    I hear ya, that was one of the reasons we moved out of Taxachusetts. Get a 4+ car garage, I thought my 3 car would be big enough, nope.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I don’t understand, if your car already has the REST button on the panel, then, why are you trying to retrofit the sensor? Your car should already have it
    I think you are confused.

solar sensor was introduced after year model 2001 with the "max" button ihka panel. my car is 2000, has no solar sensor, and has the "rest" button.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ok, now I understand, I was confused. The residual heat system first came out with the 1995 E38, and then on to the ‘96 to 2000 E39. The IHKA systems with the MAX buttons, which came out in 2001, added the feature of how the AC system automatically adjusts itself to the different changing ambient temps while driving. So you want to change your residual heat system and add on the AC adjusting system, well, it’s clear now, you need to replace the panel to a newer panel with the MAX button. That was the new addition BMW implemented . The residual heat system still works the same, but did not come with the sensor, you need both the sensor and the MAX buttoned panel. I do not think you can retrofit the sensor and expect the older panel to have the programming to adjust the AC in the summer, the whole reason for Ryan’s thread on E39Source.

- - - Updated - - -

Stephen, if you move out to that area you said you were looking, when I come back from Joisey, I will be in that same vicinity!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I do not think you can retrofit the sensor and expect the older panel to have the programming to adjust the AC in the summer, the whole reason for Ryan’s thread on E39Source.
    well the weird thing is (as I mentioned in the first post) my panel (the older, rest buttoned panel) has the necessary setting coded in it, but it's disabled. I pulled the config file with ncs expert and there was this line: "solar sensor: disabled/enabled" I'm thinking of experimenting with it by enabling it after retrofitting the sensor and see if it really works. if not, I'll have to buy a max buttoned panel like everyone else.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Huh… Interesting. Try it out, then test and see if the AC goes colder to warmer shading the solar sensor.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12