Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ihka solar sensor

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech

ihka solar sensor

thinking of retrofitting a facelift ihka unit with solar sensor in my car. my reason for doing it is only the solar sensor, I don't care about the MAX button functionality.

I have the solar sensor and the question is; do I really need a new ihka with the max button? I know which pins I should use on the ihka to connect the sensor. I extracted my ihka's data file with ncs expert (dummy) and there is this option "solar sensor -> enabled/disabled". I didn't think I'd even see an option like that on a pre facelift ihka unit. anybody tried this on an older ihka? I'm assuming it should work if I connect the sensor and then enable it.

any thoughts?

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    well, as usual, no one has any idea when there is an unusual question... sigh... guess I'll have to see for myself.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    [QUOTE=TiesTorN;30837000]well, as usual, no one has any idea when there is an unusual question... sigh... guess I'll have to see for myself.[/QUOT
    I've got an idea for you

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    ^ ha ha
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I've got an idea for you
    that looks like me and your wife.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Ties, your walking on thin ice.
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-14-2022 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
    that looks like me and your wife.
    Really? This is the best you can do. For the record I am certain she is way out of your league, so dream on.
    If looking to engage in a battle of wits I'll consider you an unarmed opponent. Others may not.
    I've bitten my tongue several times after reading your posts, having given you the benefit of doubt with regard to possible cultural differences. It is quite clear though that jerkoffs exist in all cultures.
    What is it that makes you feel that this forum is at your beckon call? Don't like the answer or lack thereof figure it out for yourself and share your newfound wisdom. Your petulance doesn't encourage anyone here to help you.
    Hadn't you promised to go away?
    Last edited by ross1; 10-14-2022 at 12:21 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yeah, I do recall that statement about going away, since we were all too weak for his wisdom.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought this thread got shut down last night?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    ross1 probably cried to jim about not being able to answer me so he unlocked this topic for him to satisfy his ego lol.

nobody was interested in this newfound project anyway so I threw smth there to start flame wars, that's all you are good at anyway. low iq mfs. (except jim, I always liked him)

and how am I always the one walking on thin ice while I'm never the one to start throwing insults? what do you expect me to say after that emoji?

for the record, I never said I'd go away. I said "probably" and I was away for months. guess I missed arguing with you, you never surprise me lol. seeing my nick is enough for you guys to start insulting.

If looking to engage in a battle of wits I'll consider you an unarmed opponent. Others may not.
    well, I may be considered unarmed because this is not my native language. it's a different story otherwise.
    Last edited by TiesTorN; 10-14-2022 at 05:11 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Lol! Go pop a laxative and give it a hard push, you’re full of it, backed up as usual, only now, your eyes are brown, and your ears are farting….. Poker in the rear? Well, at least that’s a start. I surprised you? Jeezuz, I guess you are a lot slower than we all had already figured. Surprise, surprise, surprise… Good luck with the porcelain gods, Twerkin.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Snotty, no need to stir the pot.
    Chill out before things get out of hand and I have to pushing the vacation button on some of you guys.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Snotty, no need to stir the pot.
    Chill out before things get out of hand and I have to pushing the vacation button on some of you guys.
    Every time he chimes in, if not with me, it’s with someone else. Just thought he could use some room, and so, the laxative suggestion.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Lol! Go pop a laxative and give it a hard push, you’re full of it, backed up as usual, only now, your eyes are brown, and your ears are farting….. Poker in the rear? Well, at least that’s a start. I surprised you? Jeezuz, I guess you are a lot slower than we all had already figured. Surprise, surprise, surprise… Good luck with the porcelain gods, Twerkin.
    this is what I was talking about. I can't even understand half of this how am I gonna respond? of course I'm unarmed.

Every time he chimes in, if not with me, it’s with someone else.
    it's either you or ross1 90% of the time. and stephenva is always there not to insult but to laugh

anyway, I'll report my findings about ihka when I try it, in spite of your insults.
    Last edited by TiesTorN; 10-14-2022 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "well, as usual, no one has any idea"

"I'm never the one to start throwing insults"
    OH, Please. Passive aggressive much?
    refer to post #3

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    StephenVA is one of the nicest guys out there, and always means well. You just need to grow thicker skin, and give your sense of humor a chance to put a smile on your face every now and then. It was the same with me, but a long, long time ago, in a BFC galaxy far, far away, your lack of a sense of humor got you to lash out at me, due to my snotty remarks, and so the sword was forged.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    "well, as usual, no one has any idea"

"I'm never the one to start throwing insults"
    OH, Please. Passive aggressive much?
    refer to post #3
    "...when there is an unusual question"

that sentence overall is not an insult, just an observation.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    StephenVA is one of the nicest guys out there, and always means well….
    I go off and play with small engines getting them ready for the off season and I come back to find out I have died and moved into sainthood or something close to that. Snotty is just sucking up as he kept my lap top with all the BMW cracker software for way too long.

you guys just need to dial it back a few turns and focus on what binds us to cars that are old and still fun
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    To answer the original post question, Never heard of the "solar sensor". I know our cars have the capability of running the HVAC system on high fan to vent heat out of the car when it sits in the sun. Early postings (from years ago) stated that those who activated that option experienced battery drains down to DEAD battery on returning to the cars in airport parking lots or after a few days in the driveway. So they were recommending NOT to use the feature. Same thing you are discussing? If yes, then you will need a battery charger attached when using the feature. Needless to say, that would diminish the benefits to approx zero. A few posters added a solar charger that plugged into the battery to keep the batteries alive in sun shine. I have no idea if they would generate enough amps to run the HVAC fan's draw on high. All if this is not worth the effort as the heating issues can be prevented with a breathable car cover. Just a thought from the East coast as Fall is coming in and the leaves are starting to fall like rain so car covers stop all that crap getting into the car.

Last two week was acorn season once again in my driveway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    To answer the original post question, Never heard of the "solar sensor"
    are you serious

part number is 64116901823 you can look it up.

2001+ cars have it. ihka unit adjusts itself according to the data its getting from that sensor in daylight.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I don’t miss all the acorns, leaves, or the long snowy winters!
    IIRC the solar sensor was used for altering the cabin fan speed faster than relying on the temp sensor inside the HVAC panel as you drove from shadow areas into bright sunlight.
    Not all e39 had them, mine doesn’t.
    S VA, you need more garages. Keep in inside.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I’ve never seen acorns drop the way they were bombing us that afternoon I was at your place last week. He’s asking about a UV sensor designed to do exactly as you are asking. That is what BMW was telling people not to use due to battery depletion. Hell, with these cars, just leaving the doors open, weakens the battery significantly , if you still have incandescent interior light bulbs. All my cars have LED bulbs installed throughout the interiors, this includes the sun visor/vanity mirror lights, the glove box, everything,and I still think the battery is depleting when lights are on. I’ve never had the UV sensor in any of my BMW’s, but I do have one in my grey 2006 Mini, on the top of the center section of the dash board, and it does what they claim it is supposed to do. I never use it, but on the Coopers, the batteries do not seem to get depleted like they do on the E39. So, on E39 HVAC control modules, the cars that came with the solar/UV sensors had the REST button, residual heat, which scavenged heat out of the cooling system to keep the car warm in cold weather, say, while you get out at the gas station to refuel, press the REST button and the fan will power on and blow warm air inside the cabin to keep the dog, or family happy and comfortable. It was supposed to run for about 15 mins. This is what I have always known, but I don’t think I had it. But, I understand the newer face lift cars that got the MAX button, still can have the feature. You will always have an IHKA fault on the facelift cars, it is because BMW deleted the solar/UV sensor. All you have to do is get the sensor, retro fit it and now, the system will work as it always did on the older cars. The IHKA codes should disappear.

Ties, I just did a simply search on the googles, solar sensor on E39 got more hits than UV sensor on E39. It gave me this:

https://e39source.com/archives/4869/comment-page-1

Somewhere along here, you must be wondering, wait, what’s the catch, why isn’t he making fun of me??? No catch, no fun, just boring facts. Personally, I never used the feature, I do use the MAX AC button all the time on my current cars. That button is what takes place of the REST button when your car does not have the option. One of these days, as it is getting colder at night, since the fall weather has moved in like clockwork, something that these stupid climate freak out retards would want you to believe, will never talk about, how the climate still kicking in like Swiss clockwork, just as it has always done for billions of years….
    One of these days, I will try the system in my grey Mini Cooper and see if it works. Everything works like it is supposed to on that car, so I don’t see why it shouldn’t.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 10-17-2022 at 11:05 AM.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Ties, I just did a simply search on the googles, solar sensor on E39 got more hits than UV sensor on E39. It gave me this:

https://e39source.com/archives/4869/comment-page-1
    yes, I also read that page before creating this topic.

I'm mainly curious about if I can do it on a "rest" buttoned ihka unit. I don't want to spend money for a "max" buttoned one.

ps: I'm really shocked that you are not here to make fun of me or put me down
    Last edited by TiesTorN; 10-17-2022 at 11:41 AM.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Never turn down a fresh start request...
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    .....S VA, you need more garages. Keep in inside.
    Been looking at garages with houses attached the last few weekends as the Real estate taxes are getting way out of control here in the People's Republic of No VA. Looking at 3+garage homes or lots that will accommodate a 3+ garage standalone.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
    yes, I also read that page before creating this topic.

I'm mainly curious about if I can do it on a "rest" buttoned ihka unit. I don't want to spend money for a "max" buttoned one.

ps: I'm really shocked that you are not here to make fun of me or put me down
    I don’t understand, if your car already has the REST button on the panel, then, why are you trying to retrofit the sensor? Your car should already have it, they should be up there by the defrost vents up on the dashboard. Or did your car have the manual knobs for heat and AC? If you read Ryan’s page, the panels are pretty much the same, just have to retrofit the solar sensor and hook up the wiring.

Shocked that I’m not screwing with your sorry a$$? Don’t let it get to your head, still can’t stand you. So far, the only redeeming value you have in my eyes is the fact that you say you have a BMW… Now, if you are not laughing, you really need to groom yourself a sense of humor, this is what we call busting your balls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast