Thread: Strange rattle below the car

My Cars
    BMW E39 2002

Strange rattle below the car

Hey, guys so firstly i want to say sorry if i dropped a thread in the wrong spot.

So my E39 started making strange rattle noises and the sound for low rpms changed from a normal diesel sound to a deep petrol like sound
    also from time to time it shouts in pain with some kind of grinding noises, but when i press the gas pedal a little bit it stops most of the times.
    Has an interesting noise after you shut down the engine, and also the performance didnt change a bit, it still goes as it should but with the additional sounds of course.

Im in Finland right now and im not local here, working and hoping its not a transmission or anything else that i should be worried about, dont have proper tools to lift up the car and the prices are 3x bigger than in my own country (hoping that i could wait for another 2 months and go back with this problem home without spending much money on it)

was wondering guys if you could help me get to this sound if anyone had anything similar ,im guessing its the exhausts somewhere that gets this noise but the expensive sound throws me off track. i have clips of whats happening and what kind of sounds is it so ill just drop them here and wait for more questions and ideas on how to get by without dropping cash all over

Sound from inside:

https://youtube.com/shorts/xH_fReW7ZKE?feature=share

From outside:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/dwHVjwHf8RI?feature=share

And when you switch ignition off:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/MUVRcjUXe-k?feature=share

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out on this pain

btw its a 2002 M57 Automatic 2.5D BMW
    Last edited by Usu; 10-04-2022 at 12:52 PM.

My Cars
    2000 540i sedan
    Exhaust leak? Broken exhaust hanger? Get underneath it to see.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Soon after I bought my e39 I started to get a bumble bee type sound. Was really loud and really annoying. I slid under the car and poked around. When I push up in the middle of the front muffler the sound went away. It ended up being the front muffler. I bought two very long stainless steel duct clamps and clamped a short section of pipe to the bottom of the muffler. The clamps compress the pipe into the bottom of the muffler, compressing the inside of the front muffler enough to make the sound go away. est I could tell one of the internal baffles was loose (weld failure) and was rattling inside the muffler.