My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is

Question Rough idle and misfires after deleting secondary throttle body

Hi all, I have a 1998 323is that currently has these engine mods:
    * Bosch FGR-7-DQP+ spark plugs
    * Bav Auto coils
    * SAP delete
    * RallyRoad non-ASC intake boot

I had previously noticed a pintle cap fell off one of the injectors so I redid those and the first set of injectors that FCP sent me had 5 of the 6 pintle caps fall off as well. I have yet to pull this set out but I don't believe that these ones have fallen off because the symptoms are a bit different than they were. In addition to this, I also replaced the 2 throttle body coolant hoses and installed the RallyRoad intake boot (a bit of a weird setup at the moment because I'm using a plumbing cap to block off the port I don't need). When I started the car last night, it wouldn't idle but after cleaning my PCV a little bit, taping the small crack on my ICV hose (I made sure it was vacuum proof... I had to have wrapped it around 20 times), and using a resistor on the ABS actuator it now idles but it is still a bit rough. With throttle input, everything seems to be going okay. I had a pending P1188 and P0170 for a bit but that seems to have gone away. There are also periodic misfires and open injector circuit codes, but these also seem to fix themselves after a while and then come back again. These continue to happen even after cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol and using Lucas injector cleaner.

The two things that I did notice when I pulled out my scanner were that the short term fuel trims were crazy high at idle (I'm talking like 26-27%) and then went back down to zero with throttle input and built back up when I let off. In addition to this, when I do let off the throttle, the revs will go back down to about 1k normally and then creep back up for a split second to about 1.3k before continuing to go down. My idle is also significantly higher, pretty much at 900-1k RPM.

I'm honestly at a loss here on what to do other than clear the adaptations which I just unplugged the battery for, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Edit: The problem still remains after resetting the adaptations. Took it for a drive until it hit closed loop and it still runs good just idles horribly, and I still have no codes even when it feels like it's misfiring like crazy. Genuinely at a loss with this one.
    Last edited by andrewgordnier; 09-30-2022 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Updated to reflect a new diagnostic path I went down

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Throttle cable could be miss adjusted. Check main throttle body to ensure butterfly is "closed" at idle & not open beyond 90-degrees at full throttle.