Thread: Windshield and rear window trim

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70

Question Windshield and rear window trim

So the trim around the windshield and the rear window is shot on my 98 e39...

Questions;

Seems like OEM is the way to go on these? The "corner" pieces- Do they come with the trim or are they separate pieces (and if so) what are they called?

Also, what else will I need besides the tools to do this DIY? Any glue/adhesive/sealant? Any good (while I'm in there advice?) Anything I can do to "make it better--last longer "hack" or mod?

First time doing this... All insight and details highly appreciated!

TIA!

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    My front trim piece was all one part including the corners. If yours look like separate parts its probably because your windshield was replaced and the installer reused the trim seal. Often they use urethane to re-attach the trim piece too which will make removing it a real PITA. Otherwise, it'll come right out. Installation is tedious. Don't use sealant. There's a few good youtube howtos on the procedure.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I also need to replace the windshield trim on my wagon. I expect mine is still original. My “corners” are still somewhat attached, but have slits/cracks 1/3 of the way through. I think they originally had the corners vulcanized (or some similar process) in to make a one-piece seal, but over time the slightly different rubber materials expand/contract at different rates, causing the separation as they age.
    -Donny

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    They are just poor quality with a typical lifespan of 5-10 years. On my '02 touring it had clearly just been replaced when I bought it in '15. I had to replace it recently and it was in very, very poor condition. That's actually what pissed me off the most when the windshield had to be replaced last month, it trashed the brand new trim, named "cover" I'd just put in. And the one the glass shop put in doesn't look the same.

I use cream waterless hand cleaner when installing them, it's slippery as snot and helps the cover into the slot. Plus it just washes off with water when I'm done. But what it comes down to is it's just a maintenance item, unlike most other trim.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs