Thread: Help me out, ISTA and '08 E93 Connection Issues

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93

Help me out, ISTA and '08 E93 Connection Issues

My car does not connect to ISTA. I plug in the VIN and start the vehicle test, and the progression indicator on my PC runs forever. The VIN gives me the vehicle data, year, make, and model, but does not give me access to any of the fault data. I have an SRS fault that I think comes from a false error report, but I have no visibility to the SRS module, or any other module, using ISTA.

Please point me to a resource that tells me how to use ISTA. I think I am having a pretty basic problem with my Win10 settings, but I just do not know.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would first check the firewall to make sure it isn't blocking it. I also at times tend to have problems with the anti-virus too, check that out as well.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    My ISTA+ Version is 4.32.15

I am getting into the modules enough to get the same Fault Description on 9 different modules. One of them is to the ECU, but the car runs well. I have one actual fault for the SRS, CC-ID Code 97. In ISTA I can go into the Fault Memory tab,and there are 9 fauilts, but the fault report that gets printed is the same, word for word, for each fault, and when I click Delete Fault Memory button on the bottom of the screen, I get a display of a progress bar and "Please wait, this will take a minute..." after a few seconds a dialog box comes up telling me to turn off the engine and take the key fob out, but this halts the fault clearing operation, and the dialog box has one button, CANCEL, that also kills the fault clearing operation.

All eight of nine faults have identical reports.

The faults are all, NO communication possible with...
    Car Access System
    Dynamic Stability Control
    Control Unit (does not specify which control unit)
    Instrument Panel
    Engine Electronics
    Safety module/restraint system
    Junction Box Electronics
    Transmission Control Unit

The final fault is,
    Permanant SAE code (non-continuous) saved.

The SRS fault is currently showing on the instrument panel as CC-ID Code 97 MULTIPLE SRS FAULT. The DSC/ABS was also showing up on the instrument panel, and all four speed sensors were coming up as OBD II Codes, but I had a blown Voltage Regulator, and when I replaced it and started the car, all of the fault indicators on the instrument panel went away except for the SRS. ALL OF MY ERRORS NO LONGER EXIST except for the SRS, and my thesis is that this is a false report that isn't coming up because something is wrong, it comes up because it is stored and I am not able to clear it.

You know how the lights are described as a Christmas Tree? Mine were more like a fireworks display. I had so many things happen all at the same time that nothing is from an actual fault, except that the voltage regulator failed and caused lots of things to be displayed.

In ISTA, the Vehicle Interface method is Ediabas, I tried OMITEC Interface (USB / Serial), but the results were worse. I am happy to entertain setup issues on my PC but I have no clue where to go next.
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 09-29-2022 at 04:29 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Does ISTA even have the capacity to do what I am trying to do? I want to reset the SRS module, but Control Unit Tree does not even show the SRS module.

On my tree, the ACSM, DME, and EGS show yellow, all others show green. The ACSM is the Crash Safety Module, but the verbiage in the dialog box makes me think it is the battery disconnect device, the DME is the engine control, but the engine systems seem to all be working, and without more information there is nothing to guide diagnostics. The EGS says that the transmission fluid has exceeded its life.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am not well versed with ISTA, for most of the time I am using INPA. But yes, you should be able to talk to every module using ISTA, normally I would read the CAS to see what's complaining before going to each module, but that's in INPA. If you are not seeing those module on the tree in ISTA, I would suspect power or communications issues. So check fuses, and you may even need to check for power at the module.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    So, the learning curve is very steep and it's not very intuitive. I'm a guy that clicks on stuff with a reasonable expectation of what should happen and expect that the same thing happens each time. I'm not getting the feeling that what happens is repeatable and my ignorance makes me question the reliability.

Turns out my SRS issue arose from the explosive thing in the trunk that disconnects the Positive terminal on the battery. When I changed the battery, removed and reinstalled several times, I failed to connect the plug to the explosive charge -- basically it's an airbag detonator on the battery. I failed to include it into my diagnostics of the SRS. I paid my mechanic $70 to use his diagnostic tool, and he found the same things that ISTA was trying to tell me but that I didn't know what it was saying. After crying more tears than Ian dumped on Florida, I found the installation instructions in a directory on my PC, this file should be in the main directory on ISTA, not buried in some sub-directory somewhere. I printed out the 30 pages and followed the directions explicitly, and now I get responses from ISTA that are expected, I still don't know what they mean, entirely, but at least I see stuff that I can work to cure.

Yesterday, 09/29, I had three red items on the flow chart after doing the vehicle test (see Post #4), today I have one. The DME is reporting that the Water Pump is missing. (002E85 BSD, message; electric coolant pump: Missing). I saw this same report yesterday, along with the report of the transmission fluid life and the SRS (ACSM). The car only has 75,000 miles so the trans fluid should not be at end life yet, the ACSM came from the airbag charge on the battery post. ISTA told me specifically that the battery post was the trouble, but I failed to understand the terminology. The issue was cured and now ISTA does not report. Back to what it does report... It is telling me that the water pump is not plugged in, or something along those lines. I drove the car 10 miles at 80 to get to the shop, and nothing showed that the car was over heating as one would expect if the pump was missing. In any case, I'm off to figure out why the DME is not happy with the water pump.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    My car does not connect to ISTA. I plug in the VIN and start the vehicle test, and the progression indicator on my PC runs forever. The VIN gives me the vehicle data, year, make, and model, but does not give me access to any of the fault data. I have an SRS fault that I think comes from a false error report, but I have no visibility to the SRS module, or any other module, using ISTA.

Please point me to a resource that tells me how to use ISTA. I think I am having a pretty basic problem with my Win10 settings, but I just do not know.
    hey bro, where did you get the files and instructions to install ISTA? I'm trying to install it on my PC

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by DoNmayor View Post
    hey bro, where did you get the files and instructions to install ISTA? I'm trying to install it on my PC

That's a good question, I'm not sure. It's a pdf, and I think it's in the Tool directdory. I don't remember where I found it, but it allowed me to install to a Win11 desktop machine. I printed it, and now I am using it to install to a Win10 laptop.