Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 740i sport TLC

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i

2001 740i sport TLC

I'm currently saving a 2001 740i sport. unfortunately it had 6 mouse nests hidden in it and lots of urine and feces. it sat for a few years, but it's getting cleaned up.
    trying to figure out how to upload photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bavin; 09-27-2022 at 09:41 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    More photos.
    Last edited by bavin; 09-27-2022 at 09:43 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Oof. Those pests have good taste though looking forward to your progress
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Wow! Nice job taking this one on. You and 7iron are top of the list for ‘most ambitious resto’!

Looking forward to more!

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Wow! Nice job taking this one on. You and 7iron are top of the list for ‘most ambitious resto’!

Looking forward to more!
    Agreed! Good luck, the nest cleaning is one thing, figuring out what damage they caused to the wiring is not going to be fun. Good luck! I think this is the third Anthracite Metallic resto going on right now.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Thanks. only one day of work so far and made a ton of progress. this car also had new guides/cooling system put in it before it sat 2-3 years ago and it is mechanically solid, just needs a lot of cleaning and other TLC. the headliner and pillars are non existent, angel eye wiring became disconnected and i need to figure out how to reconnect it, AC was drained when guides were done and never re filled, so that needs to be done as well. The manifolds have unfortunately succumbed to age and heat and the welds are cracked where the manifolds connect to the uper cats. i have a new set ready to go in. The driveshaft needs to be rebuilt. someone installed sub hookups and even though i've seen worse, it looks a little butchered to me.

The body is going to be the worst part IMO. need to find a PDR guy. there are dings, dents, one spot of rust ( none anywhere else on the car ) and there is paint over spray all over one side of the car from when someone was painting something near the car and got over spray along the whole side.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Post more pics of the whole car. I’m about to post a bunch of stuff for sale once I clean them up.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    I will. stuff like what?

I also have a full 750 interior that im going to put in this car, as long as the dash fits. its from a 98.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bavin View Post
    I will. stuff like what?

I also have a full 750 interior that im going to put in this car, as long as the dash fits. its from a 98.
    Dash will fit, the rear door panels will not unless you got it from an European short wheelbase 750.

I will have MKIV Nav, sport tail lights, fogs, sport steering wheel, you may have all of this stuff, but if yours is badly damaged could be an option

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Got the 750 interior in and all cleaned up. looks great. smells great now. it was a lot of work, but no more mouse poo smell or any sign that they were ever there. used peppermint oil--rodent sheriff--absolutely everywhere so hopefully they will never be back.

the black leather 750 interior looks amazing with some leather conditioner. Probably throwing the old interior out. the glove box assembly was completely broken, the knee bolster tabs are mostly broken, the center console tabs were also mostly broken. so were the ones on the 750 interior, though. bad design. very thin flimsy plastic that they used for all of the mounts for the screws. with age, they just break right off when removing, just like the tabs on the pillars in these cars.

It needs new hood latches and cable. Headliner and pillars. air bag light on. ABS trifecta lights on. one headlight gets a lot of moisture inside of it. pulling apart the headlights to put new gaskets in sucks. needs new manifolds and driveshaft rebuild. Lots of dings that need to go. one dent on hood. I'm gonna take it to a PDR guy sometime and see what he has to say.

I have 2 driveshafts here, i want to send one of them off to be rebuilt and lengthened for 6 speed, but i am confused about the lengths. One came from a IL and one came from an i. The i one is longer than the IL one, so i don't know the correct measurements to lengthen it. i know it needs to be lengthened 88mm up front...

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Ill upload the rest of the pics tomorrow, but i also did all 4 cabin filters.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Nice work! Lets see that 750 leather Stitched interior bits!

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Nice work looking forward to seeing the 750 interior. What parts did you get, seats, dash and all?

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    Nice work looking forward to seeing the 750 interior. What parts did you get, seats, dash and all?
    All parts except the rear seat backs. i mustve sold them a while ago. oh well. I have the rear c pillar lights and rear console storage latch as well.
    I'll upload pics tomorrow, it was raining here today. the interior looks new. I have black A, B and C pillars ready to go in, i just need to do the headliner and that's it for the interior.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    More "before" photos.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    I professionally detailed it. the only piece for the 750 interior im missing are the seat backs. it needs another wipe down with conditioner, since the leather has already soaked the first coat up. This car came from someone who got it from a forum member, if anyone recognizes the car, i'd love to get in contact with him and see if he's interested in owning it again. the title i have is still in his name i believe. otherwise, i'll be keeping it and registering it. i'm glad i was able to save it, it was just sitting and rotting on their property.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    more photos.

- - - Updated - - -

Still a lot more work to do. here's. couple before photos of the 750 interior, lol. it was sitting in storage a longgg time.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Looking good! BTW I sent you a PM with the pics you wanted. Let me know.

Whoaa, I must have missed where you said this was a manual conversion sport. What else was done to the car?
    Last edited by Staszek; 10-10-2022 at 03:03 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    Looking good! BTW I sent you a PM with the pics you wanted. Let me know.

Whoaa, I must have missed where you said this was a manual conversion sport. What else was done to the car?
    Yes, thanks, i'll respond asap. It was swapped. I dont know everything. i got the car and a pick up truck bed full of parts as is. I know the guides were done. I know it was a forum members car, so it was enthusiast owned for a long time before it sat. I noticed that it has those fancy expensive bavsound speakers in it and they do sound good. Someone put sub hookups in it and there's a grom bluetooth set up hiding in the rear by the parcel shelf. I dont have the full history, i was hoping someone would recognize it if it actually was a forum members car. As of today I've got the black pillars, black vanity mirrors/black clips and black grab handles ready to go in. I'm working on the headliner today. That will pretty much be it for the interior.
    Last edited by bavin; 10-10-2022 at 03:34 PM.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Yes, thanks, i'll respond asap. It was swapped. I dont know everything. i got the car and a pick up truck bed full of parts as is. I know the guides were done. I know it was a forum members car, so it was enthusiast owned for a long time before it sat. I noticed that it has those fancy expensive bavsound speakers in it and they do sound good. Someone put sub hookups in it and there's a grom bluetooth set up hiding in the rear by the parcel shelf. I dont have the full history, i was hoping someone would recognize it if it actually was a forum members car. As of today I've got the black pillars, black vanity mirrors/black clips and black grab handles ready to go in. I'm working on the headliner today. That will pretty much be it for the interior.
    Awesome, can you share full exterior pictures of it, maybe someone will notice it. What are the exact specs of it, build year, (will be on the doorjam) what states its been sold in, etc.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Wow. Also missed it was a manual swap. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Looks great! Nice work!
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Thanks. The car is from NJ. I ended up deleting the angel eyes. The wiring was pretty trashed/corroded/old and the wires were all over the place, it wasn't done at all the way that it was supposed to be done. I couldn't get them to turn on anyways anymore no matter what i did. They are just cheap chinese angel eyes, not meant to last. I replaced the headlight lens with new ones since i had the headlights out. The old one had water in it from a failed gasket and the lens was showing age but also was changing to a greenish color. looked like trash. I'm glad i did that, it looks new. I'll probably put new AE's in at a later time. I'm not sure what set to get. New hood latches/cable on the way as long as a some other stuff. Found a nest inside the airbox and more evidence of mice in/around the front bumper and behind where the headlights were; going to vacuum all that up, clean it all and then spray some more peppermint oil around the area before putting the bumper back on.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I think I know this car. Is the first name on the title Shane?

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Thanks. The car is from NJ. I ended up deleting the angel eyes. The wiring was pretty trashed/corroded/old and the wires were all over the place, it wasn't done at all the way that it was supposed to be done. I couldn't get them to turn on anyways anymore no matter what i did. They are just cheap chinese angel eyes, not meant to last. I replaced the headlight lens with new ones since i had the headlights out. The old one had water in it from a failed gasket and the lens was showing age but also was changing to a greenish color. looked like trash. I'm glad i did that, it looks new. I'll probably put new AE's in at a later time. I'm not sure what set to get. New hood latches/cable on the way as long as a some other stuff. Found a nest inside the airbox and more evidence of mice in/around the front bumper and behind where the headlights were; going to vacuum all that up, clean it all and then spray some more peppermint oil around the area before putting the bumper back on.
    Try these for, I did the same thing as you, refreshed the lense and gaskets and bought these Angel eyes. Fits a bit tight but the quality was really good.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/373830199249

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast