RM European Auto Parts

Thread: F10 noise and vibration - can you help guess the likely problem

My Cars
    2013 BMW 535i Xdrive

F10 noise and vibration - can you help guess the likely problem

Have a 2013 535i Xdrive M sport. Has a little over 90K miles. Trying to diagnose possible problem from the symptoms, so I know what direction to go. DYI fix myself, or my Indy, or maybe time to dump the car?

I've already replaced an adaptive headlight, brakes and rotors, and the valve cover gasket is currently leaking. Have a new cover and gasket, coils, and plugs in the box, but dreading the job. The leak is not that bad yet. BUT I have a new problem. And not sure if my beloved BMW is going to start breaking more stuff now over 90K. And perhaps time to move on.

The new problem, or perhaps problems - several months ago I would get a clunking sound going over bumps in the rear of the car. This would basically be at slow speeds hopping over a speed bump or similar. Sounds like some component in my rear suspension is broken, but I can't see any problem laying on the ground. (Have not had on a rack yet). That was the only symptom. Car handled fine, tracked fine, no weird tire wear, exhaust hanging fine with clearances, etc., so I've been ignoring it until inspection time and my indy can rack it and check it out.

Strangely, this problem has seemed to get better over the past months. Not as loud over bumps, but still there.

Recently however, I am now getting a consistent pulsating sound under light power climbing slight grades, etc. Sound/vibration stops when coasting. Doesn't seem to change when turning, or in a bend. Only under light or heavy power. Seems to also come from the back but not sure. Perhaps more center car.

This problem is getting worse, and now at higher speeds under power I can feel this pulsation/vibration in the car. And seems to be getting worse.

Doing some research, it seems this car does eat CV front shafts, and also universal joints in the rear drive shaft. With my original rear clunking sound, and now pulsating rhythmic vibration maybe rear or center car, I'm suspect of the rear drive shaft.

Anyway, thought I would do a post as I'm sure some 2013 F10 mechanics/owners have seen common problems, and might be able to give me a good guess of what this is? If a universal joint, could the clunking over bumps be related to the same problem. The clunking definitely sounds more rear, where the vibration is less certain where it is originating.

Appreciate any direction?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The clunking sound, by your description, is likely suspension related; perhaps a bad bushing, ball joint or shock/mount.

When's the last time you changed the transfer case fluid? Never is the wrong answer. There's only a bit over half a liter in there, and it needs changing. Certainly, the vibration/pulsing could be anything from a driveshaft to the transfer case to the differential.

You'll need to get the car on a lift, DSC off entirely, wheels turning.

"Giiving up" on a car because it's needing maintenance and repairs ? A good rule of thumb is that you should spend about $1000 to $1250 for every $25,000 the car cost new - every year - on maintenance and repairs, after the warranty ends. It may be that you've neglected this necessity, so you've got some catching up to do.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471