Thread: Intermittent Flapping Sound.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

Intermittent Flapping Sound.

Hi again, 2011 328xi 108k auto
    I'm experiencing an odd issue. When I drive over 55 mph, I start to hear a light thump, as if I ran over something and it hit the wheel well, but as I keep driving, I hear flapping as if something is stuck on the wheel and hitting the wheel well. Sometimes I can drive over 55 mph and it doesn't happen. When it happens and I slow down, it slowly goes away. Very odd. The bottom plastics are off, so there's nothing hanging that the wind will force it to flap at that speed. At first, I thought it was the infamous windshield molding, but I replaced that two days ago. So the molding is rules out. Then I noticed the brake reservoir plastic cover was cracked and the side piece wasn't connected. I assumed the broken piece was flapping around at higher speeds and was the culprit, but I removed the cover and broken piece yesterday and drove it today and the flapping thumping sound was still there. Nothing is loose, nothing is rusted and the heatshields are solid. Again, it occurs intermittently. I have no idea what it could be. The noise sounds rotational, as if a wheel is hitting a piece of the wheel well and that piece is flapping/bouncing along in the wheel well, with the wheel rotation. That's the best way I can describe the sound.
    I'm hoping someone might know what and where that sound is coming from. It sounds like it's at the firewall, the back of the car or even right under the driver's seat. I honestly can't pinpoint the location. It's concerning because it sounds like something is breaking off every time the noise starts.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Found the source. On my way home I merged into the highway and it’s very windy today. As I reached 55mph, I heard it again. As I was crossing over a bridge during a curve, I heard the thump and a high pitch sound, as if the belt snapped. I pulled over, looked under the hood and the belt was fine. Everything looked good. I looked under the car and voila! The back plastic shield bent over, rubbing against the ground. I drove it that way the rest of the way home. I completely forgot about the rear plastic shield. There’s a part of the shield that sticks out that wasn’t fastened because the front plastic goes over it. SMH. Sorry for the wasted post.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Naa, not a wasted post, for these thing do come loose and it does happen.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member