RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Can’t get backlash tight enough

My Cars
    E46 325ci

Can’t get backlash tight enough

Hi I’m trying to install a mfactory helical diff in my 2002 e46 325ci I bought the mfactory shim kit but I can’t seem to get my backlash tight enough even when using all the shims the backlash is wayyy to large. Also when I use all the shims it leaves no room for the cclip anyways. iv been tryna rebuild this diff for a whole two months I can’t figure out what’s wrong. This is my first project car so I’m not that knowledgeable

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking about buying another diff case to see if that helps

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Rebuilding a diff isn't a DIY kind of thing; swapping to an LSD internals is also more complex on some BMWs. On an E36 that I swapped from open to LSD, the thinner ring gear mounting required a ~1/2" thick custom machined spacer to mount the posi unit correctly.

Oranges and apples don't mate easily. You might be better off just purchasing a used medium LSD diff, intact, or ordering a diff from Diffsonline.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E46 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Rebuilding a diff isn't a DIY kind of thing; swapping to an LSD internals is also more complex on some BMWs. On an E36 that I swapped from open to LSD, the thinner ring gear mounting required a ~1/2" thick custom machined spacer to mount the posi unit correctly.

Oranges and apples don't mate easily. You might be better off just purchasing a used medium LSD diff, intact, or ordering a diff from Diffsonline.
    Yeah that was my back up plan if this doesn’t work but I already bought this lsd so I might as well try

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Not sure if this will be helpful or not but perhaps if you are using a different gear ratio now a different carrier will be required. This happens a lot with the old domestic differentials where a carrier is specific to a range of ratios. A ring gear spacer as dirtracer mentions was often employed when the carrier and gear set were mismatched.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E46 325ci
    Yeah that’s what happen it was for a 3.07 diff not a 3.49 so I just bought a 3.07 used diff and swapped it over works like a dream now