Thread: Misfire after vanos solenoid install

My Cars
    2017 750i

Misfire after vanos solenoid install

Hey guys I知 pretty new to the page. I have a g11 and I got some codes showing vanos exhaust solenoid position not reached and not controllable cold start. No misfiring or any issues with how the car runs. I have about 67k miles on it and I went ahead and replaced all 4 solenoids. I double checked all my work, ensured all hoses and clips are in how they should. After getting all of it slapped together I started her up and now she is misfiring and bogging to where she wants to stall out and I知 not sure why. I did use an impact to get the solinoids out since turning them with the ratchet would move the cams and timing chain. Please help haha

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    Did you replace the electrical solenoid or the mechanical valve? If you replaced the mechanical valve then the valve timing is out has this valve is the securing bolt for the camshaft.

If this is the case then do not run the motor any more has valve damage will occur if it hasn't already.

VVT control valvevvt valve.jpg

VVT Solenoidvvt solenoid G.jpg

If it is the solenoid ensure the plugs are plugged into the correct valve and that the solenoid is rotated fully into position.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerboost View Post
    Hey guys I知 pretty new to the page. I have a g11 and I got some codes showing vanos exhaust solenoid position not reached and not controllable cold start. No misfiring or any issues with how the car runs. I have about 67k miles on it and I went ahead and replaced all 4 solenoids. I double checked all my work, ensured all hoses and clips are in how they should. After getting all of it slapped together I started her up and now she is misfiring and bogging to where she wants to stall out and I知 not sure why. I did use an impact to get the solinoids out since turning them with the ratchet would move the cams and timing chain. Please help haha

My Cars
    2017 750i
    Quote Originally Posted by mandd View Post
    Did you replace the electrical solenoid or the mechanical valve? If you replaced the mechanical valve then the valve timing is out has this valve is the securing bolt for the camshaft.

If this is the case then do not run the motor any more has valve damage will occur if it hasn't already.

VVT control valvevvt valve.jpg

VVT Solenoidvvt solenoid G.jpg

If it is the solenoid ensure the plugs are plugged into the correct valve and that the solenoid is rotated fully into position.

Mark
    Yes I replaced the valve not the solinoid. I wasn稚 sure that it held anything in place since it痴 my first time. Does that mean I have to re time the motor ?

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    Yes you have to retime the motor, this VVT control valve is the securing bolt for the VVT/Camshaft sprocket. Do not run the motor any more has the exhaust valves will or may have already hit the piston.

Mark.