Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Trim Panel Restoration

My Cars
    96 328is, 97 M3

Door Trim Panel Restoration

Hello all,

I have a 97 M3 with interior door trim panels showing signs of age (typical shrinking of vinyl and delamination at the storage pockets)

Are there any professional artisans/craftspeople offering restoration for interior door trim panels? Over the past few years it's been harder and harder to come by replacement parts through the dealership network.

If you have come across, or better yet worked with anyone offering restoration service, please let me know.

Many thanks!

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    I haven’t personally used them but heard good things.

https://www.prestigeautoleather.com/
    Last edited by Hagasan41; 09-20-2022 at 05:49 PM.

My Cars
    2 1999 M3's
    i believe the dealership should stock all the parts you need. they always have parts for my e30 and e36

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gras rauchen View Post
    i believe the dealership should stock all the parts you need. they always have parts for my e30 and e36
    Stock, no... But BMW does have some panels left in stock in Germany which any dealer in the US can order. The pickings are slim and there are no new panels being made.

RealOEM is fairly accurate on which are still available. As you can see most everything is ended. The leather insert portion you're unlikely to find in what you need so expect to swap that out or customize it. You'll be after the vinyl portion of the panel going this route.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2037

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2038

My Cars
    96 328is, 97 M3
    Thanks for the suggestions all. We ran the VIN through the dealership network. The parts are discontinued with no stock in the US or Germany.

I'm really looking for leads to restore the original pieces.
    Last edited by Tyler Maine; 09-22-2022 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    What color interior? Any pics?

My Cars
    96 328is, 97 M3
    jaysonx nothing special - simple black interior. Trim panels are standard black vinyl w/ black leather insert.

Pics attached - bad lighting this morning

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg
    Last edited by Tyler Maine; 09-24-2022 at 11:23 AM.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Your car looks super nice and OEM, so this may not be the answer, but something to consider.

If you've got some patience and are good with working with your hands, you could always try what I did. There's a couple of posts on it, but this one chronicles the main bits of the job.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post30496996

For me, spending $100 on a spare set of unloved door panels and another $100 or so on materials was worth the outcome. I didn't want to sink a bunch of coin into a new set of door panels that would inevitably fail again.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    1973 911, 2001 E55
    I got a referral from my M# specific mechanic for a local upholsterer. I will post a few photos later but he did a fairly good job, some of the wrinkles are annoying but he rebuilt the insides, all new clips, glued the plastic parts inside back on correctly and did both door pockets each side new. $400 but I supplied the Mrain inserts fabric. I was so pleased I am doing the rears now $100.

There are some original, second hand available on evilbay but they didn't look any better than mine; the problem when the panels come off is the method of mounting them back on is often in terrible shape as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrbeverlyhills; 09-24-2022 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

My Cars
    1973 911, 2001 E55
    So is the car^^^
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrbeverlyhills; 09-25-2022 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    1973 911, 2001 E55
    So open a branch is SoCal

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
    I got a referral from my M# specific mechanic for a local upholsterer. I will post a few photos later but he did a fairly good job, some of the wrinkles are annoying but he rebuilt the insides, all new clips, glued the plastic parts inside back on correctly and did both door pockets each side new. $400 but I supplied the Mrain inserts fabric. I was so pleased I am doing the rears now $100.

There are some original, second hand available on evilbay but they didn't look any better than mine; the problem when the panels come off is the method of mounting them back on is often in terrible shape as well.
    He did f**k up refitting the doorhandles though. They are fitted upside down.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    I just noticed that as well!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    lol. I missed that. It wasn’t going to go well no matter what given the fabric that was selected.

Sorry, not trying to pile on, but that was a waste of money.

My Cars
    1973 911, 2001 E55
    Sorry, what was wrong with the fabric? It matches the seats, replaces sagging incorrect black panels and upside down or not the door opens where before it didn't (the linkage isn't available from BMW currently). Did I mistakenly wander into the forum for how to be a concours judge? the car is meant as a trainer for 2 girls to track and learn stick; sometimes I think you boys would be welcome additions to the Porsche set: "Excuse me sir, did you know those are the incorrect screws for that year glove box"?

I have a mint, untouched 95 Daytona/black M3, even at my advanced age I can tell the differences between the 2 cars, between up and down, at least before Happy Hour.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
    Sorry, what was wrong with the fabric? It matches the seats, replaces sagging incorrect black panels and upside down or not the door opens where before it didn't (the linkage isn't available from BMW currently). Did I mistakenly wander into the forum for how to be a concours judge? the car is meant as a trainer for 2 girls to track and learn stick; sometimes I think you boys would be welcome additions to the Porsche set: "Excuse me sir, did you know those are the incorrect screws for that year glove box"?

I have a mint, untouched 95 Daytona/black M3, even at my advanced age I can tell the differences between the 2 cars, between up and down, at least before Happy Hour.
    The fabric you used is a lower end print, not woven like the original. They do not match the original seats in color, texture, or construction. The Bulgarians use that same fabric for their cobbled together vaderfactory sales.

Graham has proper replica though it's not winning any concours either: https://www.ascfabrics.com/product-page/m-rain-fabric

You can do whatever pleases you. I hope you can acknowledge a lack in execution and not treat us all like our opinions automatically mean everything shown here has to be perfect. That was not the point and what you have shown is hilariously bad (again, sorry).

My Cars
    1973 911, 2001 E55
    Well I am pleased to have offered some hilarity into the mix, I did try and find the best available fabric and I think we both agree the execution was less than desirable. I always find your posts amusing, helpful sometimes, even when you are crucifying some poor pleb for not having your extensive knowledge. But if correcting everyone after a hard day working on these cars floats your boat, have at it, just try not to be such a colossal PeeNahs about it. Everyone knows something you don't.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    He only said "That's rough" and that was it.

I think you read to much into it, and blew it up further.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    96 328is, 97 M3
    No need to argue--we are all sports car fans here. Thanks for the feedback all.

Not too many leads here, but I appreciate the responses all the same.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Maine View Post
    No need to argue--we are all sports car fans here. Thanks for the feedback all.

Not too many leads here, but I appreciate the responses all the same.
    I don't think you understand. Your VIN will show panels that are NLA, yes. You can still buy the panels you need in the correct color, just not with the leather insert portion. You will not find anyone that can properly restore the vinyl portion of the door panel (case in point above) so your only option is buy it new from BMW and then have the insert portion (which can be matched) custom upholstered or swapped if your originals are still good.

You're going to miss out on the remaining stock of panels if you sit on this.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post30814766
    Last edited by Braymond141; 09-29-2022 at 12:19 PM.

My Cars
    96 328is, 97 M3
    I do indeed follow. Before posting, had the parts department run availability on other trim panels that included black vinyl. In several cases, driver side trim panels were available, but not the passenger side.

Thanks for the link. Looks like maybe the poster encountered no stock on the front passenger side too?

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Maine View Post
    I do indeed follow. Before posting, had the parts department run availability on other trim panels that included black vinyl. In several cases, driver side trim panels were available, but not the passenger side.

Thanks for the link. Looks like maybe the poster encountered no stock on the front passenger side too?
    No, just a long ETA. My passenger side eventually showed up. I will be using ASC fabrics as well (1 project at a time though..)

My Cars
    96 328is, 97 M3
    OK, thanks for the update on that! I'll run some numbers through the dealership again to see what comes up.

My Cars
    1998 e36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast