Thread: Rust on Crankshaft at Main Seal?

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii

Rust on Crankshaft at Main Seal?

I removed my rear main seal cover today and it looks like there is rust or crud on the crankshaft. Can I use some steel wool/solvent and clean it up or is this a bigger problem?

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 2.34.21 PM.jpg

My Cars
    1978 323i
    I'd start out with some wd40 and medium scotchbrite and avoid using anything metal or too abrasive (or dry)

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    I'd start out with some wd40 and medium scotchbrite and avoid using anything metal or too abrasive (or dry)
    This more or less did the trick. Removed the rust, but still some pitting in those areas. feels smoother than before and hopefully will be ok.

My Cars
    G05, F15, E46, E21 (x2)
    If there is pitting where the lip of the seal rides, then you will most likely have a leak. Or, the pitting can destroy the seal. Try and find a clean spot for the seal lip to ride and set the seal depth accordingly. If you cannot, then you have fewer options: clean well and fill pits with JB Weld (probably not long term solution) or have machine shop weld up pits and turn down big end back to original spec.

In the photo, it looks like there is significant pitting at the seal lip contact area.

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    what causes this area to rust anyway? The car looked like it sat outside in a field somewhere before I got it as there were vines growing up in places I wasn't expecting. How long would I expect to run this before it really started to leak? It didn't really leak before and was replacing the main seal as I was redoing the clutch. I guess I'm glad i found this, unless I actually made it worse...

Well, here's a shot of where i ended up. nothing standing out from the surface like before, but you can see a groove, I'm guessing from the seal as well. maybe try and tap it in another 2-3mm's? Or should I remove the new seal and try and sand it back with something more aggressive and work my way up? I guess now would be the best time as I was planning on putting the flywheel and clutch on today. or maybe hold off on that.

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.54.26 AM.jpg
    Last edited by floatinghead; 09-22-2022 at 04:11 PM.

My Cars
    G05, F15, E46, E21 (x2)
    Maybe someone sells a repair sleeve for the big end of the crank. That would be your best bet. The rusted area is outside of the engine, so susceptible to dirt, moisture, and rust. It looks like water sat against the seal lip and caused corrosion along that line. If you cannot find a clean spot/path for the seal lip outboard of the original position (it doesn't look like you can), then maybe you can machine the rear cover so the seal sits deeper in the cover...effectively pushing the seal more inboard on a clean surface of the crank...maybe (don't know much meat is no the rear cover seal pocket.
    Last edited by DavidF; 09-22-2022 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    I like the idea of the sleeve and seems like the best solution and least disruptive. Not sure of who makes them, but i'll take some measurements and see what I can find out.

anyone know what size (diameter/depth) or have a recommendation?

Machining the cover might be an option, but just more time to figure it out. thanks for your input DavidF!

>>>UPDATE: ordered a repair sleeve today and should receive by Tuesday. Fingers crossed it goes on smoothly
    Last edited by floatinghead; 09-23-2022 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by floatinghead View Post
    I like the idea of the sleeve and seems like the best solution and least disruptive. Not sure of who makes them, but i'll take some measurements and see what I can find out.

anyone know what size (diameter/depth) or have a recommendation?

Machining the cover might be an option, but just more time to figure it out. thanks for your input DavidF!

>>>UPDATE: ordered a repair sleeve today and should receive by Tuesday. Fingers crossed it goes on smoothly
    Cool. And don't forget that the flywheel bolts require some sort of thread sealer. I forget what's recommended.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    so i got my SPF speedi sleeve today and installed it and was going well and....I F'd up the flange trying to remove it and it's just getting torn up. I may try again and see if I can get it off but its not looking good.

Think its ok to just leave the flange on there? That would make my life a lot easier( except that need to order another one) and there's plenty of clearance between it and the seal cover.

anything to really worry about?

thoughts? This is photo of when i got it seated but before attempting to remove the flange.
    Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 6.07.33 PM.jpg

My Cars
    G05, F15, E46, E21 (x2)
    Yes, if the flange does not interfere with anything, it is ok to leave in place (but, read the installation instructions for verification). Ensure that oil can readily reach the backside of the crank seal.

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    Yes, they say as long as there is no interference with any parts, it is ok to leave the flange. There appears to be clearance around it, though i will double check and there is space around it for oil to move. I'd prefer to have it off, but this seems to be ok. I'm going to give the flange removal another go this morning and see what happens...

UPDATE: tried a bunch of different pliers to grab on to the flange and that made a world of difference. Got it all removed so I think i'm good to go.
    Last edited by floatinghead; 09-29-2022 at 01:43 PM.