RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Smoking Bottom end of N54

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335xi

Angry Smoking Bottom end of N54

Start off with 2009 BMW 335xi N54 Automatic ~180000 KM or ~112k miles

Had a smoking issue for a couple months, Replaced the valve cover gasket, I'm a relatively new owner of the car. About a year. but the valve cover gasket had looked to been leaking for a long long time. Heavy buildup of gunk on front and side of engine. However the valve cover gasket seemed to fix the smoke, except for some random occasions it would smoke up again, Say once every week.

The current issue is I'm away for university, and my car is home with my parents. I asked my brother to take it for a drive today to keep fluids moving etc, Its only been about a week since it was last ran. and 15 minutes later he sends me a video of it smoking, and you can kind of see where its coming from I think.. But I'm not sure. Car is stock except for some intakes, and possibly been tuned before by previous owner??? I'm not sure how to check but it feels stock now.

It is at operating temperature when this happened, No noises, ran fine apparently. No dash lights except for a O2 code for some reason after I did my valve cover gasket.

- Also possibly unrelated? On cold starts it is very boggy, almost feels like it could stall. But after about 30 seconds its perfect, no hesitation on pulls, stopping etc. just on cold starts, Starter was replaced ~3 months ago for it failing, Not for this reason

Video of it smoking from today -> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Rn4lsShjkIw

Also keep in mind I'm not home to investigate or try any of your suggestions until I'm home from uni unfortunately!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'd only say that with that massive amount of smoke, it shouldn't be driven, lest it catch fire. Obviously, there's no way to tell from above where the smoke's coming from, least of all via a three second video.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471