Thread: 2004 530I with M54 overheating

My Cars
    2004 530I with M54

2004 530I with M54 overheating

hello all,
    I have run into a issue with my 530i. The other day i had it idling out in front of my house for a few minutes while i was getting my dog ready to go to park and when i walk to the car from front door the upper coolant line burst.I sprinted to my car and immediately shut it down and prayed a little. I opened the hood and seen the coolant line had ruptured. (this car has about 168000 miles on it.) so being a moderately skilled mechanic..... lol... i went to the part store and got new coolant line and thermostat & housing, coolant reservoir and coolant. I installed all and started it up and noticed there wasn't much flow from the small hose that connects to the top of the coolant reservoir and the fan was not turning on. I then removed the radiator and fan housing which would need to be done any way to replace water pump and ran water threw it to see if flow was restricted. the water seemed to pass through it fine and no debris or any thing flushed out just clean water. I then tested the wires going in to the fan and they had power, of course i couldn't test the signal line due to not having proper equipment for that. so I made another trip to part store and replaced the water pump( which is mechanical not electrical) and the temp switch on the bottom coolant hose. Once these parts were replaced i started the car again and lifted the front passenger side to help get air out since i had replaced pump and there is no bleeder. while i was trying to burp the coolant system i noticed when the car was at temp 160 to 170F the lower hose outlet only read about 90F to 100F and radiator was cool to the touch on that side. also the line coming into the top the coolant reservoir didn't seem to flow near as much as it should(only being a week drizzle). I also noticed that the heat in the car was not blowing as hot as it has in prior winters. i'm not upset about the parts i have replaced as these are good to replace any way. I am at a loss at this point and can not find good info for e60 with m54 and i don't know what to do next. While i was at my parts store i did ask to rent a co2 tester for coolant system and the guines there took me to the coolant tester and told me that that was what i needed smh( i'm referring to the turkey baster with the hose on it smh).Any help would be greatly appreciated.........

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Reformat with something other than white text

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Would look but can’t read the white text on my phone.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezeakicious View Post
    hello all,
    I have run into a issue with my 530i. The other day i had it idling out in front of my house for a few minutes while i was getting my dog ready to go to park and when i walk to the car from front door the upper coolant line burst.I sprinted to my car and immediately shut it down and prayed a little. I opened the hood and seen the coolant line had ruptured. (this car has about 168000 miles on it.) so being a moderately skilled mechanic..... lol... i went to the part store and got new coolant line and thermostat & housing, coolant reservoir and coolant. I installed all and started it up and noticed there wasn't much flow from the small hose that connects to the top of the coolant reservoir and the fan was not turning on. I then removed the radiator and fan housing which would need to be done any way to replace water pump and ran water threw it to see if flow was restricted. the water seemed to pass through it fine and no debris or any thing flushed out just clean water. I then tested the wires going in to the fan and they had power, of course i couldn't test the signal line due to not having proper equipment for that. so I made another trip to part store and replaced the water pump( which is mechanical not electrical) and the temp switch on the bottom coolant hose. Once these parts were replaced i started the car again and lifted the front passenger side to help get air out since i had replaced pump and there is no bleeder. while i was trying to burp the coolant system i noticed when the car was at temp 160 to 170F the lower hose outlet only read about 90F to 100F and radiator was cool to the touch on that side. also the line coming into the top the coolant reservoir didn't seem to flow near as much as it should(only being a week drizzle). I also noticed that the heat in the car was not blowing as hot as it has in prior winters. i'm not upset about the parts i have replaced as these are good to replace any way. I am at a loss at this point and can not find good info for e60 with m54 and i don't know what to do next. While i was at my parts store i did ask to rent a co2 tester for coolant system and the guines there took me to the coolant tester and told me that that was what i needed smh( i'm referring to the turkey baster with the hose on it smh).Any help would be greatly appreciated.........
    It dawned on me that I could correct the color problem in quote.
    I'm not seeing a problem here.
    If the engine doesn't overheat, there is no issue.
    Rev the engine and the flow from the small hose will increase.
    90-100F bottom radiator hose is OK. Hose should be 0-20F above ambient temp with functioning radiator.
    E60 heaters do not produce 150F air.