Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Temperature dial stuck on cold

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    46
    My Cars
    2001 Z3, 2016 328d wagon

    Temperature dial stuck on cold

    Hi everyone. I know that versions of this topic have been covered by other people but I couldn't find a thread for my exact situation. My AC control module recently broke. It was stuck on cold and wouldn't move past 10 o'clock. I took it to my BMW mechanic and they forced it a bit and and it broke and spun freely. They replaced the HVAC control module behind the 3 dials. They said the cable and blend door seemed to be just fine. Just picked it up. They told me it still sticks a bit at 10 o'clock but if I move it with the fan off, it will move to the heat side. It worked one time on the drive home from picking it up. Now it is completely stuck again on cold. I have forced it just a bit and and eventually the temp control dial spun a bit and came off in my hand. It didn't move the actual temp control peg behind it. The dial itself didn't break and I was able to place it back on the peg in the 10 o'clock position where it had wiggled itself off. I have an appointment to bring it back to them in 3 days but I was hoping for some insight! It's about to get cooler out here and I will definitely want to have heat. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,111
    My Cars
    00 M Roadster SC'ed
    The blend door has a material that's similar to foam tape around the perimeter for sealing purposes. Over the years, it disintegrates leaving just the sticky part of the tape. That tape sticks and makes it hard to move. A temporary solution is to not open or shut 100%.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flowery Branch (NE Atlanta), GA
    Posts
    55
    My Cars
    MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    The blend door has a material that's similar to foam tape around the perimeter for sealing purposes. Over the years, it disintegrates leaving just the sticky part of the tape. That tape sticks and makes it hard to move. A temporary solution is to not open or shut 100%.
    Upvote on the sticky tape. I had to remove my heater box on my roaster and rebuild it. Can't remember where I got the tape? I had it left over from doing the same thing on my old E30 325ic and a couple of old Datsun 510's. I had some citrus based adhesive remover that cleaned things up pretty well. A lot of work, BTW. If you do go that far into it, I would recommend replacing the heater core and evaporator too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North Jefferson
    Posts
    190
    My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Reset the cable so the blend door doesn't quite completely close. You should be able to do it with some needle nose pliers to slide the clamp just a bit on the cable. The next step is the peg breaking off the little arm behind the controls.

    This is me resetting that cable after spending most of a day in this position and with half the interior apart to deal with a broken peg:



    I go to yoga a lot but this isn't a pose I want to practice again.
    Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would motor about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,111
    My Cars
    00 M Roadster SC'ed
    Quote Originally Posted by melville View Post
    Reset the cable so the blend door doesn't quite completely close. You should be able to do it with some needle nose pliers to slide the clamp just a bit on the cable. The next step is the peg breaking off the little arm behind the controls.

    This is me resetting that cable after spending most of a day in this position and with half the interior apart to deal with a broken peg:



    I go to yoga a lot but this isn't a pose I want to practice again.
    Here's a pic of the cable meeting the clip that he's adjusting.
    Screenshot_20220919-115713_Gallery.jpg
    Also if any of the tabs break off on the heater/AC control arms, you can drill out and epoxy in a servo ball off of a remote control toy car or airplane. You can get them at the hobby shop. The other two control levers on mine were still intact, but I reinforce them with a 1/16" drill bit, which I epoxy in and cut off the shaft for reinforcement purposes.
    Screenshot_20220919-115829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919-115815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919-115800_Gallery.jpg
    Last edited by IndianaRoadster; 09-19-2022 at 02:13 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North Jefferson
    Posts
    190
    My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    Here's a pic of the cable meeting the clip that he's adjusting.
    Screenshot_20220919-115713_Gallery.jpg
    Also if any of the tabs break off on the heater/AC control arms, you can drill out and epoxy in a servo ball off of a remote control toy car or airplane. You can get them at the hobby shop. The other two control levers on mine were still intact, but I reinforce them with a 1/16" drill bit, which I epoxy in and cut off the shaft for reinforcement purposes.
    Screenshot_20220919-115829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919-115815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919-115800_Gallery.jpg
    Yes, I did a similar repair using (IIRC) an M3 or M2.5 socket head cap screw and some locknuts. I like the RC servo ball idea.
    Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would motor about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    46
    My Cars
    2001 Z3, 2016 328d wagon
    Quick update. I am at my mechanics and they attempted to move the cable a little more as described above. The metal clamp that holds the end of the cable broke. Does anyone know the part number for just the clip? The parts we look up have the cable but not the clip.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    46
    My Cars
    2001 Z3, 2016 328d wagon

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,111
    My Cars
    00 M Roadster SC'ed
    I'm not seeing it in Realoem. Maybe it comes with the cable.64118397723 is the cable # for my 2000 M Roadster

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    46
    My Cars
    2001 Z3, 2016 328d wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    I'm not seeing it in Realoem. Maybe it comes with the cable.64118397723 is the cable # for my 2000 M Roadster
    Yeah I can’t find it anywhere. I don’t think it comes with the cable

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    328
    My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    No affiliation, I just googled BMW heater cable clip
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/175253058397
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    46
    My Cars
    2001 Z3, 2016 328d wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    No affiliation, I just googled BMW heater cable clip
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/175253058397
    You rule! Thank you so much. I had ECS tuning, Turner, and FCP Euro trying to find it and they couldn’t. It’s Less than two dollars!

Similar Threads

  1. windshield fluid keeps getting stuck in cold weather
    By mniemiec in forum 2006 - 2012 (E90, E91, E92, E93)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
  2. AC Temperature Varies Hot to Cold
    By Drewdaddy in forum 1999 - 2006 (E46)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
  3. RPM (Tacho), MPG and Temperature dials not working
    By wezE36 in forum 1991 - 1999 (E36)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
  4. Why the Temperature dials on vents in addition to normal controls
    By AuburnRyan in forum General BMW and Automotive Discussion sponsored by Intercity Lines
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
  5. Temperature Dial (again)
    By mark8195 in forum 1996 - 2002 Z3 (E36/7, E36/8)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 09:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •