Thread: 98 E36 starting issues, help please

My Cars
    2006 330xi

98 E36 starting issues, help please

Hello,
    I'm having some starting issues with my car. It's a 1998 323is with 104k miles on it, I'm the third owner and recently bought it in April, and it is being very stubborn when it comes to starting. When the car sits for a couple days it will start no problem, but when I turn it off and try to start it again, it will either be a very long start or it will just crank and not start. It will also die when coming to a stop sometimes. It has left me stranded many times and typically I just let the car sit and keep trying and eventually it will start.... sometimes. I've been trying to fix it but nothing seems to be working. I've replaced the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor, I put new coils and plugs, and cleaned my MAF and ICV. I did a fuel pressure test and it was good. I also installed a new fuel pump back when I first bought the car because it was bad. If I could get some help that would be very appreciated. Thank you

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Camshaft sensor needs to be OEM Siemens (not VDO or other). fuel filter? You should use injector cleaner over 3 tanks of gas, they clogg and leak if the car sat for any period of time (buy a quality brand).

Check that the battery terminals are tight. Remove and clean the ground strap under the exhaust manifold, wire brush all contacts, then spray clean with brake cleaner. Bench test the DME and fuel pump relay, remove it, use 12v source and energize the coil then with a multimeter and the coil still energized measure the resistance across the other two pins, should be less than 3 ohms.

Did you scan for codes? post them with the description.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9I
    Hmmm seems like you have replaced all the regular no start, gremlins. I second Eric's idea of checking the ground strap under the exhaust manifold. How does the car run when it's is warm and at higher RPM's. Also have you checked for spark when it doesn't want to start? Pull a coil, pop an extra plug in, crank it and confirm you are getting spark. I think it could also be wise to check for compression, just so you can rule that out.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    weak battery? and/or bad voltage regulator on alternator