Thread: Need advice on my first 3 Series as a daily driver (E30, E36, E46, E90)

My Cars
    N/A

Need advice on my first 3 Series as a daily driver (E30, E36, E46, E90)

Hello all,

I recently started my addiction to BMW and I would LOVE to own one myself. However, I'm unsure of what model would be best for me. I live in Toronto and we get hot and humid summers, along with brutal cold winters. I plan on getting one in 1-2 years or until I get rid of my first car (Toyota Matrix haha)

I am fully aware that BMWs are a huge step up from regular Japanese dailies in not only performance, but fuel economy and maintenance, I'm willing to put the time and money into something I love.

The 2011 328i E90 would be my first choice as it is newest out of the four generations and I've heard to be one of the most bulletproof engines BMW has made, although it is most expensive model I can afford. As for the E30, E36, and E46 I don't know what year or model would be best as a daily in Toronto weather.

I'm not a mechanic or super knowledgeable in car parts at all. I just like the look and sounds of them. If anyone who can give me some pointers in which of the four would cause me the least headache in Toronto-like weather conditions that would make my day. Also, recommended mileages and prices to look for in each generation would also be a help

Thanks

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Having owned all of the above, except a E-9x you have to look at what you want from the car. Obviously the newer the car, the more modern amenities that they will have.

Also do you want a year-round car or just a summer only? I wouldn't subject a E-30 or E-36 to a winter anymore as they are getting long in the tooth and have less rust protection than the E-46 or E-9x.

Next I would recommend making a list of must-have and nice to have, things like heated seats, HID lights, etc. Color is also something to think about, I have my preferences of course. The only cars that came with all-wheel drive is the E-30, E-46 and E-9x. Not sure if that's a game changer, but most BMW's with good snow tires do rather well in the winter time.

Lastly I would have a sit-down with the insurance person to see how much each will cost, coupe's tend to be higher than sedans or wagons.

BTW, nothing is bulletproof if it isn't taken care of.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by bphaphon View Post
    Hello all,

I recently started my addiction to BMW and I would LOVE to own one myself. However, I'm unsure of what model would be best for me. I live in Toronto and we get hot and humid summers, along with brutal cold winters. I plan on getting one in 1-2 years or until I get rid of my first car (Toyota Matrix haha)

I am fully aware that BMWs are a huge step up from regular Japanese dailies in not only performance, but fuel economy and maintenance, I'm willing to put the time and money into something I love.

The 2011 328i E90 would be my first choice as it is newest out of the four generations and I've heard to be one of the most bulletproof engines BMW has made, although it is most expensive model I can afford. As for the E30, E36, and E46 I don't know what year or model would be best as a daily in Toronto weather.

I'm not a mechanic or super knowledgeable in car parts at all. I just like the look and sounds of them. If anyone who can give me some pointers in which of the four would cause me the least headache in Toronto-like weather conditions that would make my day. Also, recommended mileages and prices to look for in each generation would also be a help

Thanks
    The problem, as I see it, is that you can "afford" an E90, but I suspect that afford means you have sufficient money to buy one. I see this all the time at my friend's Euro car shop. Somebody has enough income to make the monthly payment and gas and insurance, but when something expensive breaks they are in a world of hurt. And I hate to see people in that situation. We've all been there and it's no fun.

The most current on your list, the E90, is still over 10 years old. A 10 year old BMW, if it hasn't been properly maintained (and you'd be surprised at how few really are), is a money pit. You'll spend a ton fixing all the stuff the PO neglected in your efforts to make the car a reliable daily driver. They're a lot like buying a boat. The purchase price is the least of your expenditures.

To make matters worse, if you are new at working on cars you may find you have to pay somebody else to do the work. Prices tend to range from "Are you serious?" to "WTF???" followed by clutching your chest. If you're OK with that, then no problem.

This is all said not to discourage you, but to help you make an informed decision. Now IMHO I'd get the very best maintained E46 I could find, and spend what I saved by not buying the E90 and invest in tools AND some sort of legit scanner. The E46 chassis and the M54 engine are easier to work on than the E90, IMHO. An added plus is that the M54 uses steel bolts which can generally be reused. The N52, not so much. Almost all the bolts are aluminum and are one-time use. This adds a lot more to the price of a job than you would think.

So I guess the overall point is that if you are willing to invest in yourself, and commit to learning how to wrench on your own cars, you can have yourself a nice, reliable, decade(s) old BMW. If you aren't, and can't/won't pay somebody else to maintain it, it's best to stick with the Japanese cars.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I agree find a decent E46 and don’t be afraid to learn to wrench on it.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    N/A
    By the time I get one it will probably be a year round car. Heated seats will definitely be great, although not a necessity as most of the cars my parents had did not have heated seats so I can manage. Apple Carplay and all those other amenities I definitely want can be added at a later time. Also aren't there sedan versions of the E46? I don't really want a coupe as it would be a pain to drive around with friends or going on trips.

My Cars
    N/A
    I've already thought about the "afford" part you mentioned. I won't be buying one until I can pay it twice. I don't want to be surprised by the cost of replacing parts after the cost of insurance, gas, and parking. Although I recently landed myself a better job so it will be a lot easier on the wallet if I were to get an E46, I think. I have an uncle and a close friend of mine who are licensed mechanics but it will be more beneficial for me to learn to do some work on it myself.

What tools and scanners are essentials to have when owning an E46? Also if I were to get one, how much KMs should I be looking for?

My Cars
    2002 525i
    By the time I get one it will probably be a year round car. Heated seats will definitely be great, although not a necessity as most of the cars my parents had did not have heated seats so I can manage. Apple Carplay and all those other amenities I definitely want can be added at a later time. Also aren't there sedan versions of the E46? I don't really want a coupe as it would be a pain to drive around with friends or going on trips.
    The E46 came in sedan, coupe and touring (station wagon to us south of the border).
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    2002 525i
    I've already thought about the "afford" part you mentioned. I won't be buying one until I can pay it twice. I don't want to be surprised by the cost of replacing parts after the cost of insurance, gas, and parking. Although I recently landed myself a better job so it will be a lot easier on the wallet if I were to get an E46, I think. I have an uncle and a close friend of mine who are licensed mechanics but it will be more beneficial for me to learn to do some work on it myself.

What tools and scanners are essentials to have when owning an E46? Also if I were to get one, how much KMs should I be looking for?
    At a minimum you'll want to get an old notebook and INPA. That's a free software that, once upon a time, was used by the BMW dealers. Google "Mike's BMW tools" for the software, see Amazon for the proper DCAN cable. If you have mechanic connections I'd consider a used Autel or SnapOn scan tool. They'll be pricey but are a LOT easier to use than INPA for all the stuff you'll want to do initially. (INPA is OK, it just has a terribly clunky interface and all the errors are in German).

You will want a full set of 1/4" and 3/8" drive metric sockets and wrenches. A good set of Torx sockets, too. A good electric impact wrench in 3/8" drive. You'll want a few 1/2" drive sockets and a ratchet for the bigger stuff, like wheels, but don't get carried away. If you don't have access to a lift, a good floor jack and some sturdy jack stands and a creeper will be a must. Start there and build your collection as you go.

Mileage is a funny thing. You can get a low mileage car that has has the pi$$ wrung out of it by some dork, or maybe it's suffering from years of neglect and sitting. And you can find high mileage cars that were well cared for and driven on the highway most of the time. But, in general, I'd stick to ones below perhaps 140,000 miles or 225,000 km. The engines, if you take care of them, are easily capable of double that mileage. You can usually tell - if the leather is in good condition, and the paint is in good condition, and there aren't a ton of little things wrong (the seller always says they are easy fixes!), it's probably been well looked after.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)