RM European Auto Parts

Thread: No Start No Crank

My Cars
    1997 bmw e39 520i

No Start No Crank

Hey guys my e39 520i 1997 currently doesnt want to crank (its and automatic with an m52 engine and a siemens ms41 DME and EWS 3.2)

i have a fault code on my dme that has the number 18 (im using inpa) that says ews signal not available or defective

''engine-dme engine/gearbox electronic 2'' module doesnt respond

''bmbt on-board monitor, control panel'' also doesnt respond

i tried to sync the dme and ews using inpa but it said wrong ISN number and refused to do it. So i decided to delete the ews in the dme and used ms41quickflash to download and upload the ecu and used romraider to delete the ews in the dme, but it still doesnt start?? as mentioned in the title there is no crank or even click, the dashboard works just fine and all the lights turn on when i turn the ignition. Can it be the dme?

the starter works since i have touched the + and the signal wire and it cranks but doesnt start
    i have checked all the fuses and relays (except the one under the floor since there is not a single mention about how to get to it online...)

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Sigh.

You're asking us to start with a car that you just hacked - unsuccessfully. Now you've immensely compounded the problem, because there's no way to check where the first problem ends and the hack begins.

Since you have a gearbox not responding code, did you consider that if the gearbox doesn't tell the DME it's in Park, the engine won't crank? The EWS almost always allows the starter to crank.

I'm sorry, but I and most techs have a rule: If you've got a problem you don't understand, do NOT modify something to correct it. Fix the problem, THEN modify.

Step 1 will be to see whether the ignition switch outputs on the start wire when key is turned to start.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 09-13-2022 at 08:21 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1997 bmw e39 520i
    i just want to clarify all the problems and errors were before i even touched the dme. second no i actually havent thought about the transmission i have been mostly hung up on the ews fault code since that is what most people have problems with on the internet. third according to videos and information on the internet the ews will not allow the starter to work if you have ews 3.2, i also just bypassed the ews by putting in a fuse in the connection after pulling it out of the ews module and it cranked, so its probably the ews module thats the problem

UPDATE: i also just wanted to say that after pulling the ecu information from the car, it seems that the car goes back to the original configuration. i have tried twice just to make sure and before i upload the file its 135 (7+128) which is the code to delete EWS and after uploading it to the car and turning it off for 10 sec (as instructed by the program) and turning on the ignition again to upload the file just to make sure that the number is still 135 it has reverted back to 7. according to a video its possible to program this ecu but maybe hes wrong? there are some more options on the program he is using though since the video is old, so maybe i have some wrong settings?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by tord58 View Post
    i just want to clarify all the problems and errors were before i even touched the dme. second no i actually havent thought about the transmission i have been mostly hung up on the ews fault code since that is what most people have problems with on the internet. third according to videos and information on the internet the ews will not allow the starter to work if you have ews 3.2, i also just bypassed the ews by putting in a fuse in the connection after pulling it out of the ews module and it cranked, so its probably the ews module thats the problem

UPDATE: i also just wanted to say that after pulling the ecu information from the car, it seems that the car goes back to the original configuration. i have tried twice just to make sure and before i upload the file its 135 (7+128) which is the code to delete EWS and after uploading it to the car and turning it off for 10 sec (as instructed by the program) and turning on the ignition again to upload the file just to make sure that the number is still 135 it has reverted back to 7. according to a video its possible to program this ecu but maybe hes wrong? there are some more options on the program he is using though since the video is old, so maybe i have some wrong settings?
    Man, you really really should stop looking at random youtube videos and start reading to understand stuff more.

**In order to write to MS41, you need to enable programming mode** This means you need to need to apply +12V to the programming voltage line. If you don't understand this, please pause and revisit correct information before trying again.

Also, deleting EWS is not a fix for your car, I would first find out why the EWS is having issues.

Does the EWS module communicate on diag fine? If you clear codes and read again, what comes up? There are other menus that tell you why a start actuation is not allowed as well.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    07 bmw 328i
    Hey Abel do you still do dme cloning? I’m new to this forum so I don’t know how to pm either