Thread: Vaico upper windshield trim ?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Vaico upper windshield trim ?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vai...39-51318159784
    Looking to save a few bucks here and wondering if any reviews from you guys.
    My original has been crumbling at an accelerated rate and wind noise has become intolerable.
    Last edited by ross1; 09-11-2022 at 09:11 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    $9 difference between that, and the BMW version, hmmm…….... let me think. C’mon man! I don’t even need to think about it, neither should you.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    $9 difference between that, and the BMW version, hmmm…….... let me think. C’mon man! I don’t even need to think about it, neither should you.
    I was looking at the differential and nine bucks almost buys a cocktail. But yeah, you are right. Plus my BMW parts guy always takes care of me. I think the last one was under $30 but that was a while ago.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yeah, I remember when those gaskets were in the 30’s. This was what I was talking about when BMW classified the E39 as a classic, and took them off the current parts lists. I need the gaskets for the rear side wagon windows, can’t even get those anymore.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Looked it up. I paid a tick under $27 in January 2019.
    Also contemplating replacing the completely missing sound shield on firewall. Found the last bill for one of those, it was $67 back then. Wouldn't be surprised to find it NLA now.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I’m gonna need to order a windshield cowling soon, the rubber is starting to crumble on the silver wagon. A while back, I saw a guy on eBay selling just a rubber strip with a slot on it for E46, basically, you cut the old rubber off, stick the new rubber strip on, it was on there for the E46 for like $24, Maybe go that cheaper, quicker route, see how it is, if he sells one for the E39. If not, I’ll go spec one out on Mcmaster and make my own.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    My personal experience with viaco upper windshield trim was… horrible.
    You may save a few bucks but the quality and fitment are just not there.

The problem with the windshield trim is it has a metal strip for maintaining the shape and the viaco one is just never going to fit.. and also the rubber is not as good as the OEM.

You will be cursing a lot when trying to put viaco windshield trim in. I gave up after 2 hours and threw that in garbage.

On the other hand, BMW original trim took me 10min to install. Fits right in and no need to mess with the metal strip frame.

BMW original trim is what you wanted to get, even if it’s $20 more.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    The spread of quality between OE and OEM is getting larger - some of the non OE stuff is really bad. Thanks for letting us know your experience

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    I also forgot to mention the OEM BMW one has glue pre applied versus none on viaco…

My Cars
    2003 M5
    I really need to get those seals replaced both front and back. Car is still on the originals and man are they shot!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneawh View Post
    My personal experience with viaco upper windshield trim was… horrible.
    You may save a few bucks but the quality and fitment are just not there.

The problem with the windshield trim is it has a metal strip for maintaining the shape and the viaco one is just never going to fit.. and also the rubber is not as good as the OEM.

You will be cursing a lot when trying to put viaco windshield trim in. I gave up after 2 hours and threw that in garbage.

On the other hand, BMW original trim took me 10min to install. Fits right in and no need to mess with the metal strip frame.

BMW original trim is what you wanted to get, even if it’s $20 more.
    Thanks. OE BMW for sure.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneawh View Post
    and also the rubber is not as good as the OEM.
    I honestly cannot imagine anything worse than OE BMW windshield trim quality. Down here with the heat and humidity I'll be lucky if I can get 5 years out of a set (I'm on my 3rd set since I got the car in 2007). The corners are the first parts to go in a crumbly mess. The last set I got was also packed all twisted and the rear one keeps popping out of the glass (OE BMW from FCP).

A friend of mine found some generic/universal trim that is almost identical (save for the corners, sadly), and is proper long-lasting rubber, not the biodegradable crap BMW sells.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Treat it with silicone once a week, might last longer down there in the jungle.

My Cars
    2000 528iT
    I bought this part from FCP on sale. Put it in my grey sedan. After less than a year, the rubber cracked right near the 90 turn at the upper left corner. If it's a small difference in cost, I'd go with the BMW part, this one doesn't look like it will last.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    It was your fat fingers over compressing the corners and hitting it with a rubber mallet...

Now get out the 303 Space Age Protectorate and treat the rest of it.
    Last edited by StephenVA; 09-13-2022 at 07:30 PM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green