Thread: 1JZ +ZF S5D 320Z in a lexus.. help

My Cars
    325is

1JZ +ZF S5D 320Z in a lexus.. help

Whats up everyone. I tried to research far and wide before posting but need some help.

I have a clique tuning e36 chassis mount shifter in a Toyota Soarer with a ZF trans. I have the shifter in, mounted, and now I'm on to the dssr. I had a Garagistic e36 dssr that I cut the selector ends off and bought stainless rod stock to weld to meet the new shifter distance. The trans is in neutral and I'm ready to make template.

Question is,

Do I just make the rod length to meet the selector joint? I don't want it popping out of gear. I starting reading how some guys had the shifter popping out of gear, went down a rabbit hole of videos, posts etc and it lead me to this post.

With the shifter end adjustable I can make the selector rod completely level with the selector joint. Its not terribly close to the driveshaft. All mounts look good. Motor has 30k and trans is new (unknown what brand bought it that way) so I'm assuming stock poly density on trans.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

My Cars
    z3
    Just put the trans in neutral, set the gear selector in neutral and fabricate a selector rod

As a small note, when I made a custom selector rod the first thing I did was fabricate an adjustable rod by cutting a stock selector rod in half and welding a nut to one side and a bolt to the other. I then was able to adjust it until I got the exact size I wanted for correct shifter placement. Once I was happy with the placement I fabricated a different selector rod to match those dimensions

The reason those types of shifters sometimes pop out of gear is an unfortunate function of their design - the factory setup allows the shifter assembly to rotate with the transmission, the carrier rotates inside the bushing at the rear of the transmission tunnel and follows the transmission. With a chassis mount, this ability to flex with the transmission is eliminated because the shifter is hard mounted to the chassis. So then what happens is under heavy load the transmission flexes and it will pull itself out of gear. This is why these types of shifters are recommended to be paired with poly or solid transmission mounts as this minimizes the movement of the transmission

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!