Thread: Camera Mount Suggestions

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3

Camera Mount Suggestions

Looking for some suggestions for capturing video for my upcoming track day. What have you been using that you like, or didn’t like?

Anyone tried helmet mounting or videoing pedals?

I’m thinking that a roll cage mount would be the best, but I haven’t seen many that I like online.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    I've messed around with too many plastic gopro roll bar mounts and they all vibrate too much. This IOPort mount has been rock solid: https://www.ioportracing.com/i/o-por...nomy-i/o-port/

That being said, helmet mounted cameras result in more entertaining footage to me. Just use the mount with the double sided tape.
    Last edited by jayjaya29; 09-09-2022 at 01:17 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I too have an I/O port mount and it's great.

I refuse to watch helmet cam videos, I can't see the driving line and driver inputs with the head moving around. You also don't want that GoPro between your helmet and anything it hits in a crash, that's my thought anyway.

Last edited by golgo13; 09-09-2022 at 02:06 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    I've messed around with too many plastic gopro roll bar mounts and they all vibrate too much. This IOPort mount has been rock solid: https://www.ioportracing.com/i/o-por...nomy-i/o-port/

That being said, helmet mounted cameras result in more entertaining footage to me. Just use the mount with the double sided tape.
    Can the GoPro record sideways?

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    I too have an I/O port mount and it's great.

I refuse to watch helmet cam videos, I can't see the driving line and driver inputs with the head moving around. You also don't want that GoPro between your helmet and anything it hits in a crash, that's my thought anyway.

That’s really good positioning, it seems like there is no vibration at all. Is there any motion smoothing in the go pro itself?

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I've used an I/O Port mount - the big one like golgo13s, (from before GoPro cameras) for almost 20 years now. It's awesome. I can't deal with helmet mounted camera views... too much movement. Get a solid camera mount, turn off image stabilization and go.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalViolet View Post
    That’s really good positioning, it seems like there is no vibration at all. Is there any motion smoothing in the go pro itself?
    Nope? I actually have been using a GoPro Hero Black 3+ since it came out. Just about all of them after were shit. This is my second and last GoPro to be honest lol

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    Nope? I actually have been using a GoPro Hero Black 3+ since it came out. Just about all of them after were shit. This is my second and last GoPro to be honest lol
    That’s actually the same one I have. Why are they bad now? Lol I’m very curious

My Cars
    S54 E36
    That’s actually the same one I have. Why are they bad now? Lol I’m very curious
    Terrible battery life
    Zero heat tolerance (they turn off in 95*+F heat)
    Random shutting off while recording
    UI and associated software is poor quality and difficult to use (hire a UX designer lol)
    Cameras that cut while recording corrupt the video file (there is software for this, drone pilots use it to recover footage)
    Probably something else I'm forgetting

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    hard to go wrong with the IO port mount. I also have the old hero 3 black, and it's rock solid. I added a 5v USB wired in for constant power, so no battery life issues. The new GoPros apparently can't be used while being charged (heat), so I'm unlikely to upgrade anytime soon
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Looking for some suggestions for capturing video for my upcoming track day. What have you been using that you like, or didn’t like?

Anyone tried helmet mounting or videoing pedals?

I’m thinking that a roll cage mount would be the best, but I haven’t seen many that I like online.
    my roll cage mount from gopro I have to say is just fine. get a mic external, depending on your gopro. mount in rear for exhaust sounds!
    ah cant remember the setting name for incar recording outside, look it up, my cheap new barebone gopro didn't have this setting so outside car is glare and in is dark. have to use other one.
    go pros can work upside down, or flipped. I do have a foot mount for some fun, i have a plastic ABS "panel" across where the knee pad was. mount is there.

My Cars
    2017 Raptor 97 M3 02 M3
    I use a RAM mount for my gopro session. I mount it on my roll bar behind me.

https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-231-2-un7u