Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Hellrot owners intro!

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3

1999 Hellrot owners intro!

After close to a year of seriously searching, lurking and gaining knowledge on all the E36 forums, I officially joined the E36 M3 owners circle a little over a week ago! Of course parts were on order before the car was delivered!

New OEM floor mats (ordered last year) and a new front bumper molding cover (without the front license plate holes) were installed as soon as I pulled into the garage.

Here she is…

Such a great compliment to the E92.

88857405-4717-481A-8A68-83A1E8845CB9.jpg DDB4CB22-766A-42B8-A11D-3DC5EBB0BC98.jpg

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Welcome! Was this the one on Bring a Trailer?

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    Welcome! Was this the one on Bring a Trailer?
    Thank you and yes it is! I’ve been following your thread as well as @jaysonx, Jim E’s on the other site and a few others. Fantastic info…and definitely saved me a ton of time. Let’s just say I’ve become very close with FCP and EAS.

Just ordered an Eisenmann sport exhaust from IND and the mounting hardware, brackets and OEM hangers from FCP. Can’t stand the Magnaflow exhaust on it now. It deserves better! Otherwise the car is rust free and in great shape, including the door seals, window trim, etc. I’ll eventually get a few pieces repainted to erase the 23 years of rock chips.

I couldn’t find this part anywhere? Do you know if the heat shield over the connecting pipes to the muffler is available?
    BBC2B5F0-9FF5-411D-948B-A11AC5743D18.jpg

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Hmm per realOEM that may not be available individually. I know I reused mine off the original muffler when I installed my Supersprint rear section.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    The US Eisenmann exhaust connecting pipes does not have a provision for that heat shield. I wouldn't worry as most aftermarket SS exhausts don't use that and all the components above it are fine.

The euro m3 version does but the connecting pipes are larger to account for the Euro exhaust system.

I have the Eisenmann exhaust (street version) myself, so let me know if you need any guidance. One of the most quality aftermarket exhausts I have seen but does take some finessing (i.e. wheel clearance, mounting bolt length) to get right but much better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
    Thank you and yes it is! I’ve been following your thread as well as @jaysonx, Jim E’s on the other site and a few others. Fantastic info…and definitely saved me a ton of time. Let’s just say I’ve become very close with FCP and EAS.

Just ordered an Eisenmann sport exhaust from IND and the mounting hardware, brackets and OEM hangers from FCP. Can’t stand the Magnaflow exhaust on it now. It deserves better! Otherwise the car is rust free and in great shape, including the door seals, window trim, etc. I’ll eventually get a few pieces repainted to erase the 23 years of rock chips.

I couldn’t find this part anywhere? Do you know if the heat shield over the connecting pipes to the muffler is available?
    BBC2B5F0-9FF5-411D-948B-A11AC5743D18.jpg
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 09-07-2022 at 12:34 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    @hagasan41 congrats! I also bought my first e36 off bringatrailer a few months ago. You are never going to want to drive the e92 again. Ask me how I know this. These cars are an underappreciated treasure in terms of driving experience.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Hmm per realOEM that may not be available individually. I know I reused mine off the original muffler when I installed my Supersprint rear section.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    The US Eisenmann exhaust connecting pipes does not have a provision for that heat shield. I wouldn't worry as most aftermarket SS exhausts don't use that and all the components above it are fine.

The euro m3 version does but the connecting pipes are larger to account for the Euro exhaust system.

I have the Eisenmann exhaust (street version) myself, so let me know if you need any guidance. One of the most quality aftermarket exhausts I have seen but does take some finessing (i.e. wheel clearance, mounting bolt length) to get right but much better than most.
    Got it! Thank you for the heads up. IND has the race version in stock but my days of a loud exhaust are behind me. End of October ~ can’t get here soon enough. The previous owner and I were chatting about the car and if he didn’t do a partial trade in on a ‘97 Supra would have also changed it out for something nicer. I was planning to use clamps instead of welding the connecting pipes on. How did you mount yours?

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CASCADE1 View Post
    @hagasan41 congrats! I also bought my first e36 off bringatrailer a few months ago. You are never going to want to drive the e92 again. Ask me how I know this. These cars are an underappreciated treasure in terms of driving experience.
    That’s awesome! We are in the BAT fraternity of brothers! Overall cool experience as it was my first purchase out of state sight unseen. I was also looking at one on Cars and Bids in Estoril blue but had my heart set on the 314. Found one in Miami a few moths ago but it had some undercarriage rust, more miles the interior and seals weren’t as nice as this one. Glad I waited! I love the E92 as well but you’re right something about the E36 chassis that puts a smile on my face. The E92 is still my baby though purchased new and only has 11K miles.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    If it is not too late, I recommend telling Ryan at Ind to spec the smallest size exhaust tips in staggered form on your order. That would provide you beast maneuverability and clearance on the rear valance when installing. It will still be bigger than factory exhaust tips

I tried all kinds of clamps before deciding to weld because they would ultimately leak. So I ended up welding it as that is what Eisenmann mentioned to do.

Definitely take it to a professional muffler shop to center the muffler and clear the other components first before tack welding the connecting pipes in position. You will need to run longer bolt on the muffler mount to extend the clamps because the muffler is dimensionally smaller (less wide) than the stock exhaust:

you'll need to run longer bolts through the exhaust mounts so they don't get stress/wear too inward due to the smaller dimensions of the exhaust. I used the following pieces purchased from mcmaster to extend the brackets on each mount as needed:

-M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, 60 mm Long
    -M8 nuts
    -oversized M8 washers (8.4mm ID and 24mm OD)

Since you are an OBD 2 and running staggered wheels. A 245mm wide tire may come close to the edge of the exhaust too so you either have to run some wheel spacers, position the muffler (angle it inward), or have the weld shop shave off some of that edge on the Eisenmann exhaust to clear it (this was a feature on factory s52 mufflers that had this area shaved).
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 09-07-2022 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Love the tribute username...Nitro Nori is of my all time favorite motorcycle racers.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    Amazing find - congrats! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    You may want to consider these Rogue muffler hangers as they allow for adjustment. This is what I have: https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...ach_p_302.html

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    I sold my 3 pedal e92 M two years ago with 9k miles and I do regret it a little. if it was a single hump car without iDrive I would have probably kept it. I loved it, but it was a grand touring car. the e36 is a go-kart. i don't daily drive anything, nor do I do long roadtrips, so the e36 is perfect for me on b-roads on dry sunny days for a couple of hours. maybe i'll replace it in couple of years with a 997 or an Evora or Elise but for now i'm happy as a clam.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Great looking car man and welcome to the club.

Just get the stock exhaust, seriously, it's underrated for fit and performance.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post

This. Mine was original and still held its own.

I totally would have kept my stock exhaust if it weren't for the fact it looked like a sagging diaper from the rear. Only reason, I got Eisenmann was simply because it sounded stock and didn't have that large area of material from the factory which sticks out underneath the bumper like a sore thumb on a silver car.
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 09-07-2022 at 06:18 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Welcome to the group. Very nice looking car!

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    This. Mine was original and still held its own.

I totally would have kept my stock exhaust if it weren't for the fact it looked like a sagging diaper from the rear. Only reason, I got Eisenmann was simply because it sounded stock and didn't have that large area of material from the factory which sticks out like a sore thumb on a silver car.
    I do like the Eisenmann exhaust, I have an active autowerke in not too bad of shape, otherwise, that's the direction I would go as well.

+1 on having it welded, find a very competent shop to do the work, I've seen way too many booger welds over the years.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    If it is not too late, I recommend telling Ryan at Ind to spec the smallest size exhaust tips in staggered form on your order. That would provide you beast maneuverability and clearance on the rear valance when installing. It will still be bigger than factory exhaust tips

I tried all kinds of clamps before deciding to weld because they would ultimately leak. So I ended up welding it as that is what Eisenmann mentioned to do.

Definitely take it to a professional muffler shop to center the muffler and clear the other components first before tack welding the connecting pipes in position. You will need to run longer bolt on the muffler mount to extend the clamps because the muffler is dimensionally smaller (less wide) than the stock exhaust:

you'll need to run longer bolts through the exhaust mounts so they don't get stress/wear too inward due to the smaller dimensions of the exhaust. I used the following pieces purchased from mcmaster to extend the brackets on each mount as needed:

-M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, 60 mm Long
    -M8 nuts
    -oversized M8 washers (8.4mm ID and 24mm OD)

Since you are an OBD 2 and running staggered wheels. A 245mm wide tire may come close to the edge of the exhaust too so you either have to run some wheel spacers, position the muffler (angle it inward), or have the weld shop shave off some of that edge on the Eisenmann exhaust to clear it (this was a feature on factory s52 mufflers that had this area shaved).
    Thank you sir! Great info! I selected the 76mm version based on photos and after talking with Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene V View Post
    Love the tribute username...Nitro Nori is of my all time favorite motorcycle racers.
    Yes, he was one of the most exciting riders in back in the day. Loved him on a Duc but he was much more comfortable on a Yamaha. Samurai of Slide is a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysonx View Post
    Amazing find - congrats! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Thank you. Right now replacing superficial things but will be tackling some maintenance items soon.

You may want to consider these Rogue muffler hangers as they allow for adjustment. This is what I have: https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...ach_p_302.html
    Thank you for the link.. Those look solid and love the diff cover! I was planning to get the Revshift inserts to help mitigate the issues with the OEM hangers. Looks like the Rouge offering eliminates that need and saves me a few bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by CASCADE1 View Post
    I sold my 3 pedal e92 M two years ago with 9k miles and I do regret it a little. if it was a single hump car without iDrive I would have probably kept it. I loved it, but it was a grand touring car. the e36 is a go-kart. i don't daily drive anything, nor do I do long roadtrips, so the e36 is perfect for me on b-roads on dry sunny days for a couple of hours. maybe i'll replace it in couple of years with a 997 or an Evora or Elise but for now i'm happy as a clam.
    997 would be a dream! The new Emira has my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post

I considered it but haven’t found a clean example so pulled the trigger on the Eisenmann during the Labor Day sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
    Welcome to the group. Very nice looking car!
    . Thank you sir! Your example is absolutely stunning and a dream! If I can get mine to 75% of what yours is I’ll be happy. Did you ever show off what you ended up doing with the airbag? Your steering wheel is fantastic and I’d like to do the same to mine. What shop did you use?

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    3EBC8B34-1D91-4D60-A365-B009A403BC0C.jpgD801307E-4A6B-4953-B66B-EFDB5D134C4A.jpg8017BB54-A464-4735-AB03-418F53811DD3.jpg

Quick wash and ceramic coated all the trim using Gtechniq C4. At least the trim is properly protected now. Can’t wait to do a full correction.
    Last edited by Hagasan41; 09-07-2022 at 10:43 PM.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    how was nvh after you installed those? the stock one allowed a considerable amount of flex

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Thank you sir! Your example is absolutely stunning and a dream! If I can get mine to 75% of what yours is I’ll be happy. Did you ever show off what you ended up doing with the airbag? Your steering wheel is fantastic and I’d like to do the same to mine. What shop did you use?
    Thank you. It's a long long journey to get this project done the way I wanted it. The airbag is not done yet. It will be leather wrapped to match the rest of the wheel when the interior work is being done hopefully over the next 4 months or so. The "shop" is called BMW M GmbH in Garching.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Congrats and welcome! Beautiful looking car! It sounds like you're enjoying it a lot so far. I've had my E36 for going on 9 years now. It's the longest time I've owned a single "enthusiast" car. I occasionally get whisps of thinking about selling it and getting something different (variety is the spice of life and all) but I just can't think of much that's 1) reasonable price that I'd want to drive and not lock away for investment reasons and 2) would be as fun or more. In the end I just keep driving it and it just keeps purring along. Bought mine at 99k miles and it now has 132k, and I haven't had a single real issue with it that's left me stranded or required urgent repair. Lots of maintenance and refreshing along the way, but these things really are simple and overbuilt for what they are, compared to a lot of older or more modern stuff. Enjoy!
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
    Thank you. It's a long long journey to get this project done the way I wanted it. The airbag is not done yet. It will be leather wrapped to match the rest of the wheel when the interior work is being done hopefully over the next 4 months or so. The "shop" is called BMW M GmbH in Garching.
    I have a Kidney or 2 if the “shop” will accommodate another one. ��. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    Congrats and welcome! Beautiful looking car! It sounds like you're enjoying it a lot so far. I've had my E36 for going on 9 years now. It's the longest time I've owned a single "enthusiast" car. I occasionally get whisps of thinking about selling it and getting something different (variety is the spice of life and all) but I just can't think of much that's 1) reasonable price that I'd want to drive and not lock away for investment reasons and 2) would be as fun or more. In the end I just keep driving it and it just keeps purring along. Bought mine at 99k miles and it now has 132k, and I haven't had a single real issue with it that's left me stranded or required urgent repair. Lots of maintenance and refreshing along the way, but these things really are simple and overbuilt for what they are, compared to a lot of older or more modern stuff. Enjoy!
    Thank you! So great to hear yours has kept you smiling. I’m enjoying it and all the little quirks. I smile ear to ear every time I press the key fob and hear that classic Alpine/BMW chirp from the alarm.

I also think half the fun has been waiting for the UPS/FedEx driver to deliver parts. Just picked up a trunk mat #82111470162 from Bimmerworld for $71 bucks delivered. Now my orders from ECS and FCP are a different story a bit frustrating with their poor inventory management systems. In stock, not in stock you guys all know the drill.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I have Revshift inserts I'd sell if you're interested. brand new, didn't use them.

Welcome to the club, very nice E36.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Thank you for the link.. Those look solid and love the diff cover! I was planning to get the Revshift inserts to help mitigate the issues with the OEM hangers. Looks like the Rouge offering eliminates that need and saves me a few bucks!
    I have the diff cover as well. It's like having truck nuts.

how was nvh after you installed those? the stock one allowed a considerable amount of flex
    No difference in NVH I could discern. I did also replace the mid pipe hangers at the same time with OE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast