Thread: Strange Airbag Error

My Cars
    e32 m60/1

Strange Airbag Error

Hi all! A month ago I've got a pregnant man light on the instrument cluster. On ignition it is blinking during 5 minutes and then keeping to glow.
    I deleted all the errors and in a few days got the light again.
    I reconnected all the passenger seat connectors and deleted the error again. The light appeared just after resetting the error.
    So, the error is "46 - resistance in the short-circuit II (seat-belt pretensioning system for passenger airbag) is too big".
    But I have no any connectors to seat-belt pretensioner.
    I thought it could be seat occupancy sensor. But cannot find how to check it and add an emulator as for late e34 or e36.
    Please help me find a cause if smbd has some experience with it.

03.93 e32 M60 Europe

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    cannot find much about this
    based on this list https://www.forumbmw.net/img/members...ault-Codes.pdf code 46 seat belt pre-tensioning system = passenger airbag, resistance in circuit is too high, but accdg to your note you do not have it.
    Check once more in the ETK for details by built year and month and country version the seat belt system http://bmwfans.info/

SRS light blinking I found a post from Bill R. mentioned: If you look at service bulletin 720496 you'll see it. Its caused by a broken or damaged circuit board in either the drivers side seat belt latch or the passengers side. If you have code 24 its the drivers side if you have fault code 25 its the passenger side, either way it goes into the default mode which is to trigger both bags in the event of an accident. IF the system is functioning normally then the seat belt sensors detect if you have a passenger in the car and will turn that bag on or off which would save some money if nobodies on that side then you don't need to trigger the passenger bag. It affects all models with the ZAE airbag system, e34, e36, e38, e31 as of production date 3/94
    ----
    But no E32 mentioned

if the light comes back in a few days, maybe you clean all contacts with contact cleaner/enhancer, also on the SRS module, I have read that this sometimes helps, because the contacts are not good.
    Last edited by shogun; 09-06-2022 at 10:56 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e32 m60/1
    thanks Shogun! I'll try to clean contacts.
    And yes, I have no any connections to tensioners on both sides. But is e32 equipped with seat occupation sensor? If yes, where can I find connector of it? ETM doesn't provide me enough info. I hoped there is a special module as on e34, but not - I cannot find it under the seat.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-28-2024 at 06:40 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    looks like EURO E32 has no seat occupancy mats, question was asked here on the German E32 forum years ago https://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=222029
    there is also mentioned to check the wire connections under the steering wheel to the passenger airbag, maybe corroded, or defective module.
    EURO 03/93 E32 730 with M60B30 tensioner adjuster is shown here in the ETK http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...d_accessories/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e32 m60/1
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    there is also mentioned to check the wire connections under the steering wheel to the passenger airbag, maybe corroded, or defective module.
    not sure I understood correct. There is a module connected to airbags and crash sensors. But I don't see any connections between steering wheel and passenger airbag in ETM...
    But still, let me check connector to airbag module. Maybe here is the issue

My Cars
    e32 m60/1
    Small update. Not sure which exactly connector helped, but yes: reconnecting several provides the result, no more Airbag error