Thread: Project Poltergeist: E36 Drag Car

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project

Project Poltergeist: E36 Drag Car

Hey guys! Might as well start with an introduction. My name’s Ben, I own West Shore Auto Center in Mechanicsburg, PA. I opened the shop about 5 and a half years ago, and specialize in BMW’s and M’s, as well as other European vehicles. I’ve done countless builds for customers, and worked on some really cool cars, but recently I finally decided it was time to build something of my own. Something that one day soon will be a 1000+hp E36. I’ve always been an S85 fan, and currently own a 2010 M6, but building that isn’t a rabbit hole that I want to jump in. I’ve always loved E36’s, and figured this would be the perfect car to make somewhat fast.

This all started when I found the shell on FB Marketplace. After seeing everything it had, I couldn’t pass up going to look at it. And I’m glad I did. It turned out to be everything I wanted and more (huge thank you to Travis from GDM for being super honest and insightful about everything.)

From what I understand, this is Colby’s old shell (white coupe). It is a 97 328is. Some of the things already done include a roll-cage, parachute mount, battery shut off, 15-gallon fuel cell, metal widebody, fiberglass doors, fiberglass trunk, AST coilovers, and a bunch more. It is a crazy clean shell, and the best possible starting point for my build that I could’ve hoped for. There are pictures on my personal Instagram (@ben_cavka), but once I reach the required posts, I will start posting pictures of everything.

Plan as of right now is a built M52, GM auto (probably a 6L80, not fully decided on that yet), and a relatively large turbo (7675 size/equivalent). Currently working on getting together the body panels/structural pieces for the front end. Ordered polycarbonate rear windshield, quarter windows, and door windows and those showed up a few days ago. Once all the body stuff is sorted, I’ll start focusing on the drivetrain and getting all that together. Will more than likely use MaxxECU coupled with a standalone trans controller. It’s nothing too crazy, but I hope this setup will be able to see the car into the 8’s 1/4 mile-wise. Thanks for reading, and I will try my best to update as often as I can! Build will be slow to start as there’s a lot of stuff that I need, and it’ll take me a few months to get a lot of the parts together.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    A delight,
    welcome.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Welcome. I have been wanting to see someone do a 6L80e for awhile! If you need one I make adapter kits to use a GM auto behind an M5X

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    Thank you!

I actually believe I was looking at your website. Is it Alien Engineering? If so, your kit will be the one I order.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Welcome! Gotta love the simplicity of the E36. Straight 6 + Boost =

Smiles could be had with ALOT less than 1000hp, but, as a flagship ride for the shop, maybe consider an S38?

S38 just for the "different" factor?
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    I'd love to do an S38, but with the prices of them, I definitely cannot afford to make a custom window an S38 block haha

Awesome, congrats I was the owner of that shell before i sold it to Travis. The interior is the 3 stage POR and I had it painted with the Sherwin williams white. what a great starting point cannot wait to see the progress as well as the finished product.
    1998 Turbo M3 Nick G tuned setting 5 934Whp 849Wtq @27.88 Psi. ignite E90 setting 6=

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    Quote Originally Posted by SM3 View Post
    Awesome, congrats I was the owner of that shell before i sold it to Travis. The interior is the 3 stage POR and I had it painted with the Sherwin williams white. what a great starting point cannot wait to see the progress as well as the finished product.
    Appreciate the info and support man! I can tell this shell has had some very picky previous owners, and I love that. It’s currently sitting in my climate controlled shop with a cover on it until I pick up some more parts. Trying to keep it in as good of shape as possible while I work on it. Finding a clean E36 was proving to be impossible until I found this thing. One thing I was curious about was what the metal tubes running under the car are for. I assumed they were for running lines/wiring, but wasn’t 100% certain.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWSAC View Post
    Appreciate the info and support man! I can tell this shell has had some very picky previous owners, and I love that. It’s currently sitting in my climate controlled shop with a cover on it until I pick up some more parts. Trying to keep it in as good of shape as possible while I work on it. Finding a clean E36 was proving to be impossible until I found this thing. One thing I was curious about was what the metal tubes running under the car are for. I assumed they were for running lines/wiring, but wasn’t 100% certain.
    Good luck with the build!

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    Good luck with the build!
    Thanks man! Been following along with your new build thread, good luck to you as well!

My Cars
    86 325es
    Thank you!

I actually believe I was looking at your website. Is it Alien Engineering? If so, your kit will be the one I order.
    Yes, thats me.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

fuel lines etc..
    1998 Turbo M3 Nick G tuned setting 5 934Whp 849Wtq @27.88 Psi. ignite E90 setting 6=

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    I’ve been home sick all week, however, some good news! I have located a carbon hood, as well as the missing front end parts I need. Once I’m feeling better, I’ll be heading to grab those. Also have ordered a new M3 front bumper along with some other miscellaneous parts. Once that all comes in, off to paint the parts go. Then it’ll be time to start getting together all the parts I need for it to actually drive haha.

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    Made some progress today thanks to the guys at BimmerBuddies in Middletown! Got a VIS carbon hood, OEM M3 front bumper, headlights, bumper mounting hardware, and some other small odds and ends. Also, I’m pretty sure I can finally post pictures, so I’m gonna give that a shot! For some reason the pictures are uploading sideways, can’t exactly figure that part out. But I’m gonna upload some other pictures as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    none
    What do you plan to do for tuning?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    What do you plan to do for tuning?

I’ll more than likely go MaxxECU. Not sure who I’ll have tune it though. That’s something I’ll have to figure out

My Cars
    A few
    Try using postimages.org to post your photos.

My Cars
    none
    I’ll more than likely go MaxxECU. Not sure who I’ll have tune it though. That’s something I’ll have to figure out

My Cars
    2010 M6, E36 Project
    Been a hot minute since I’ve had an update. Been so busy at the shop that the cars just been sitting under a cover. Picking up an engine for it today, and have some other odds and ends I’ll be ordering over the weekend. Project finally begins!

My Cars
    E36 M3 Sedan
    Hey Ben idk if this is the right place to ask n stuff but I read you help people build their e36s and was wondering if you’d be kind enough to give me guidance

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Update?