Thread: Dead end.. Clean E60 wont start.

My Cars
    503d M sport 06 - 850CSi

Dead end.. Clean E60 wont start.

Short version. Non starting e60 no codes, strong battery, has fuel, out of ideas.

Long version.

I have an 07 530D which is my work UK car, I usually use it for summer only, high mile work on the continent. I was out of the country from Nov 2020 covid to last month. Car was on a battery tender and was started by my brother about every 2 weeks. No Tax / SORN meant it was only started not 'run' but was doing this regularly until June. It is a very clean example, mint inside, 19 inch spider alloys, far too nice to just bin it.

This winter the starting was getting sluggish, I believed it was a corroded chassis earth and being in Asia where I mostly live and not wanting to lean on family too much didn't get it seen too. It would be sluggish first turn but once fired would go each time after as normal, I didn't think it was a huge cause for concern and not being here let it degrade. Car was running perfectly smooth and normal once started.

True to form about 6 weeks before my return to UK brother emailed to say finally failed to start.. I have a great local mechanic, who does all my work, but hates 'modern electricals'.. There was a few weeks delay but in July we had the car on a slide to him.

Step 1, it wasn't a corroded earth it seems the starter had failed.. That had to be replaced and it turns over. Had a load of residual codes but a code clear and none reappear.

Car still wont start. No codes.

Injectors tested, couple marginal but should start.. Still nothing..

The mechanic said the fuel pressure on the rail was possibly low.. 1 something bar should be 2 - 4.. Suspected fuel pumps were failing and not providing enough pressure.. Had the pumps removed and bench tested.. Pumps reported fine..

Next he tested a different vehicles fuel pump jury rigged over to be fully sure.. Pressure on the rail high.. still nothing.. Turns over.. No starting..

So now its turning over fine, it has fuel, pressure the the rail is enough.. nothing..

No codes.. No errors..

If they disconnect a sensor, they get an error code, clear it and reconnect.. Clean.. the ECU and brain is making codes if it finds something, but its not finding anything.

They are out of any ideas.. Its scrap the car time.. Its only worth +2k in the UK but worth much more to me as my fly in use it to work, fly out car.. I will need to replace it at a lot more than 2 grand for something I don't actually care about only need for work. Hell it just had 3 - 400 quids worth of new tires on the damn thing, last MOT no advisories, it was / is a good car. Never had any experience like this before where theres no known problem.

As to causes, they shrug and say maybe mice have got into the loom and eaten something.. No evidence of mice inside but.. Its a good excuse for no other ideas..

Last try is some more BMW focused testing kit will come this week and see if they can see any deeper into the computer for diagnosis.. But at this point they don't sound either confident, willing, or have other suggestions.

Ideas, long shots, steps I can consider, things to look or test all gratefully received.

Will be a shame to junk it..

My Cars
    2008 bmw 550im sport
    Does it crank? Do you have voltage going to the starter? If starter have no voltage, check your ISM circuit module and look for broken solder in the circuit card. Take apart the ISM (Intergrated supply module). Look for a broken solder with a magnifier 10x or 30x. Check the post. Once located and fix it. Disconnect battery positive cable and ground it. Then charge the battery fully. Clear all messages and try to start it. I have the same issues with my 550i. It wont start or crank. Now its running smooth. Good luck!