Thread: Possibly the Perfect Phone/Tablet holder for an E34.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5spd, 1999 Mercedes-Benz CL500

Possibly the Perfect Phone/Tablet holder for an E34.

Hi all. Obviously, my '95 5er is so perfect, the only concern left was the lack of a place to put up a smartphone, when driving. For navigation purposes, for example.... So I decided to address this issue, purchasing 3 bamboo smartphone stands from Ikea. Why 3, you may ask? I am going to try to attach some pictures now )

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    You big tease you.

...I'm still slightly salty for being forced to replace my last smartphone, which fit/wedged perfectly between the lip from the shift boot and the center console recess.

I now have to toss the phone in the adjustable thigh support crevice for spirited driving. What the hell am I supposed to do if my wife wants to ride along??? Can't imagine she wants my phone in her crevice.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre0Tre34 View Post
    You big tease you.

...I'm still slightly salty for being forced to replace my last smartphone, which fit/wedged perfectly between the lip from the shift boot and the center console recess.

I now have to toss the phone in the adjustable thigh support crevice for spirited driving. What the hell am I supposed to do if my wife wants to ride along??? Can't imagine she wants my phone in her crevice.
    It's not that I am such a tease, as that I am not great with gadgets and my Internet connection kind of sucks. So I am having technical difficulties. But, here it goes:

- - - Updated - - -

I am having difficulties uploading, attaching the images. But the idea was, mend the 3 pieces together, then cut them into the exact shape of that center console panel, behind the shift stick. I used table saw, angle saw, a file, and some sandpaper. The pieces have 2 sizes cuts from the factory. So the one I am using is the wide cut, while the narrow cut I used to reinforce the product but pressing in a piece of wood, that was cut and sanded to fit precisely. It really wan't that difficult, to be honest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Ok, so I test fitted - seems good. Now, I need to run to the store, get some spray paint.

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    I wish I could be more helpful with the posting of pictures, but I don't lurk here very often.

I don't believe bimmerforums allows direct upload of pictures. Needs to be hosted on another site/server and linked here if memory serves.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre0Tre34 View Post
    I wish I could be more helpful with the posting of pictures, but I don't lurk here very often.

I don't believe bimmerforums allows direct upload of pictures. Needs to be hosted on another site/server and linked here if memory serves.
    I've attached a total of 6 pictures in the previous couple of posts. I have since painted the thing and installed. Looks good albeit the paint and finish could be better. I need to drive the car some in order to decided if I like this set-up or not. But so far it looks very promising.

My Cars
    Here is what I've got so far, pics attached:

My Cars
    E34 540ia
    Under the ash tray in front of dash has a empty space, I always thought that would be perfect spot for a small built in touch screen to be installed, to house an integrated hands free Bluetooth phone function for the car. So when you enter car it would sync with your phone and can also be navigation screen if need be, all hands free and you can just leave phone in your pocket.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    One more option: if all you want is a ledge to hold a device, you could accomplish a similar result with 82119413236.
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...on-82119413236

open-uri20170804-5013-1gs2yoh.jpg
    af260fas-960.jpg

90,700 miles 1992 BMW 735iL Azure Blue Metallic with Silver Grey leather interior ‣My car ‣My YouTube channel

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by E34 Lives View Post
    Under the ash tray in front of dash has a empty space, I always thought that would be perfect spot for a small built in touch screen to be installed, to house an integrated hands free Bluetooth phone function for the car. So when you enter car it would sync with your phone and can also be navigation screen if need be, all hands free and you can just leave phone in your pocket.
    I think one of those cheap 7" or 8" tablets from Walmart would fit. Or a Samsung Lite A7 tablet, also sold at Walmart. I am not sure though. Also, I think I might make another phone/tablet holder, which would be build at a different angle, so that the gadget is turned towards the driver like the rest of the dash. And in that case chances that a tablet would fit are better. In any case, I like what I have so far, and there is always ways to improve on it. As far as actually building a tablet into that console - that would be pretty great, but I lack the skills )) You are right, that space there is certainly asking for something. Something that could music, videos, and more importantly, do some car diagnostics (maybe? We don't have OBDII, so probably not) navigation and the like.

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    Very creative! Looks like it works pretty well too!

Glad you were able to post some pictures

My Cars
    E34 525i Touring
    Interesting solution!

I used to pull out the cigarette draw and perch my iPhone on that however I soon bought the below Belkin mount that I put quite low in the centre of the screen and place my phone in landscape orientation. This gives it a sort of OEM centre screen dash feel.

https://www.belkin.com/uk/F8M978-Belkin/p/P-F8M978/

Here it is in my very tidy e30…

81B8DB47-7DDD-4206-A923-F41FC5C16CA1.jpg
    Last edited by KitTheRam; 09-04-2022 at 09:27 AM.