Thread: m50b20 oil level

My Cars
    e30, e34, e36 !

m50b20 oil level

Hello,

i've got a problem with my oil level. I've got a 320i sedan with m50b20 engine without vanos. After a big maintenance (clutch, flywheel, oilpan gasket and many other things) i need to add much more than 6.5 liters to be at the maximum level on my dipstick. The dipstick's gasket is brand new, and the dipstick is well in place, back to the original position.
    After noticing this, i changed the oil of my engine again since it was just after removing the oilpan you see. And it's pretty much the same thing, with 7 liters i'm not at the maximum at the dipstick. Oil filter replaced every time obviously.

I had already changed the engine oil when i bought the car two years ago and with 6.5 liters i was at the maximum. I've got another e36, 328i touring with m52b28 engine and i'm also at the maximum with 6.5 liters.

What do you thinks guys ? I'm pretty confused.

Thanks you.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by bfbf; 08-26-2022 at 06:23 PM.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by bfbf View Post
    The dipstick's gasket is brand new
    The gasket (O-ring) of the tube to the pan or the stick itself?

If the oil isn't leaking out, there must be something wrong with the dip stick.
    Last edited by samy01; 08-26-2022 at 08:10 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Its possible the dipstick tube is not fully seated into its home.

Depending on the circumstances sometimes its better to install the oring on the tube before installing and other times its better to put it in the hole first. Always lubricate the oring before sliding the parts together.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    e30, e34, e36 !
    Well, i misspoke. I mean i replaced the o-ring of the tube housing the dipstick, the one between the oilpan and the tube. No oil is leaking from the car of course.
    I put back two times the tube, firstly i was thinking it was not up to the end. I even tapped it lightly with a mallet (soft hammer). And even when I push it by my hands, i can hear it going all the way, correctly.
    I put the o-ring on the tube himself, and yes i lubricated it with grease so that it can properly penetrate the oil pan.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    If I remember correctly the oil dip stick tube is bolted on with a bolt. So if that bolt is in, the tube should be placed correctly. If the dip stick is still reading wrong at this point, then I think you must somehow have a wrong dip stick.

I think I heard somewhere that M50/M52 engines installed in BMW 5 series have a shorter dip stick but look about the same as the e36 dip stick, but not sure if that's correct. Or maybe your dip stick has some sort of damage?

Since you have an 328i touring, have you tried what happens if you stick that dip stick in your 320i? (Not sure if M52/M50 dip sticks are interchangeable)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    When dropping the pan was there much oil in the pan? Also maybe your not reading your dipstick correctly. When I do an oil change it takes 7qts (not liters), 7 liters is a bit more. The dipstick reads in the middle, not at the top. My car has a physically modified dipstick, but when seeing other peoples observations its the same where it should read in the middle. You can take a pick with the level in focus so we can see, I don't think there is anything wrong with what you have now.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    e30, e34, e36 !
    Hello,

I'm anwsering late i was a little bit busy there days, no time for the car.

Well, yesterday i do a new oil change with oil filter. With exatly 6.5 liters i’m at the middle at the dipstick. Exactly the middle between the minimum and the maximum.

1663530421156.jpg1663530421148.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    When dropping the pan was there much oil in the pan? Also maybe your not reading your dipstick correctly. When I do an oil change it takes 7qts (not liters), 7 liters is a bit more. The dipstick reads in the middle, not at the top. My car has a physically modified dipstick, but when seeing other peoples observations its the same where it should read in the middle. You can take a pick with the level in focus so we can see, I don't think there is anything wrong with what you have now.
    Yes when dropping the pan there was a little bit oil in it, I didn't notice the quantity though.
    I read my dipstick correctly. There is a minimum and a maximum. If you drive with the oil level under the maximum it can damage the engine. If a short moment there is no oil at the oil pump point of suction (i mean during fun driving phases of course) firstly the connecting rod bearings will not really like.

Well, do you think the new oil pan gasket can increase the oil quantity a little bit ? I mean, the original one was made of paper. The one i put (OEM, from BMW) is like that : https://www.bimmerworld.com/11131437237_FULL.jpg
    Perhaps the new one is slightly thicker than the old one and this increases the amount of oil ?

I’m actually installing a baffled oil pan with larger oil capacity (and oil cooler and many things…) on another Nissan car, and it’s the same idea. The new oil pan goes "lower", so there more oil in it than the OEM one.

I don’t understand.

Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Nothing to understand, sit back and drink a cold one!